Motto in English
|Seeking Truth from Facts and Daring to be Pioneers|
|Established||976 AD (Yuelu Academy) |
1903 (modern form)
|President||Duan Xianzhong (段献忠)|
Hunan University (simplified Chinese: 湖南大学; traditional Chinese: 湖南大學; pinyin: Húnán Dàxué), in Changsha, Hunan province, is a member of Project 985 and Project 211, which are sponsored by the Ministry of Education of China aiming to become a world-class university. It is an elite university, with Chinese Ministry of Education Class B Double First Class University status.
Hunan University traces its history back to the Yuelu Academy founded in 976 AD during the Song dynasty. Shuyuan was one form of higher learning school in China; another form was government-sponsored schools including imperial central school Taixue or Guozijian and regional schools. The Yuelu Academy was a venue for Chinese scholars and their students to meet and discuss sophisticated topics in the areas of Confucian Studies.
The modern school was founded in 1897, initially called Shiwu Xuetang and in 1903 called Hunan Institute of Higher Learning. The school name Hunan University was proposed in 1912, and in 1926 Hunan University was composed of three specialized public schools of Hunan. It was renamed Central-South Institute of Civil Engineering in 1937 and then Hunan Polytechnic College. The name Hunan University was again adopted in 1949.
The calligraphy of "Yuelu Academy" was written by Emperor Zhenzong of Song in 1015, and the calligraphy of "Hunan University" was written by Mao Zedong in 1950 as soon as the People's Republic of China was founded.
For more than 1000 years, academic activities have been carrying on here. In the course of its development from Yuelu Academy to Hunan University, this long-established institution has cultivated a large number of outstanding scholars.
Among its prominent alumni are Wang Fuzhi, a celebrated philosopher in Chinese history; Wei Yuan, a reformist who first advocated to learn from the West; Zeng Guofan, the first Chinese to initiate the Modernization Movement (at the time called Yangwu Yundong, a movement to imitate overseas technology and industry) and to make arrangements for a modern factory in China; Zuo Zongtang, a national hero who arranged to build China’s first modern navy and took great pains to defend and develop Xinjiang; Guo Songtao, China’s first ambassador to a foreign country; Cai E, a major leader in defending the Republic of China; the first Chinese to set foot on the continent of Antarctica;[who?] and Ci Yungui, the chief designer of China's first super computer.
Hunan University is one of the most prestigious public research university in People's Republic of China. Its Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Industrial Design and International Trade programs are some of its strongest.
Academics and administration
The administration is led by a CPC secretary and a president. The current secretary is Deng Wei and the president is Duan Xianzhong.
There are more than 30,000 full-time students, including more than 20,800 undergraduates and more than 14,000 graduate students.
The college is part of the 211 Project and Project 985.
It has the following colleges and departments:
- Business Administration
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Chinese Language and Literature
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
- Economy and Trade
- Educational Science
- Electrical and Information Engineering
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Finance and Statistics
- Foreign Languages and International Studies
- Journalism and Communication & Film and Television Arts
- Marxism Studies
- Mathematics and Econometrics
- Materials and Engineering
- Mechanical Vehicle Engineering
- Physical Education
- Physics and Microelectronics Science
- Yuelu Academy
- "学校简介". Archived from the original on March 7, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Admonition of Hunan University". Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "The Top 200 World University Rankings". The Times Higher Education Supplement. 2006. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "学校简介". Hunan University. Hunan University. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Xue Xiangdong". Forbes. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hunan University.|