Motto in English
|Seeking Truth from Facts and Daring to be Pioneers|
|Type||National, Public, Research|
|Established||976 AD (Yuelu Academy) |
1903 (modern form)
|Affiliation||Plan 111, Project 211, Project 985, Double First Class University Plan, BRICS Universities League, Association of MBAs|
|President||Duan Xianzhong (段献忠)|
|4,000 (Autumn 2019)|
|Students||36,000 (Autumn 2019)|
|Undergraduates||20,000 (Autumn 2019)|
|Postgraduates||15,000 (Autumn 2019)|
Hunan University (simplified Chinese: 湖南大学; traditional Chinese: 湖南大學; pinyin: Húnán Dàxué), in Changsha, Hunan, is a member of the Project 985 and the Project 211, which are sponsored by the Ministry of Education of China aiming to become a world-class university. It is an elite university, with the Double First Class University status, a major government initiative to comprehensively develop a group of Chinese elite universities into "world-class universities" by 2050.
Hunan University is one of the most prestigious national key universities and is widely considered to be one of China's top-10 engineering research universities. The university belongs to the top 300th large comprehensive public research universities in the world based on several most cited and reputed global university rankings such as ARWU, US News and CWTS Leiden.
Its Chemistry, Mathematics, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Industrial Design, Computer Science and Technology, Applied Economics, International Trade and Business Administration programs are some of its strongest. The university has eight disciplines in the top 1% of the Essential Science Indicators (ESI) ranking released by Clarivate, including mathematics, mechanical engineering, physics, materials science, biology and biochemistry and computer science and among which engineering science and chemistry have entered the top 0.1% globally. In October 2020, Hunan University has been selected as the National Intellectual Property Demonstration University among the first batch of 30 demonstration universities by the China National Intellectual Property Administration and the Ministry of Education of China.
Rankings and reputation
- The 2008 Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) World University Rankings ranked Hunan University as 15th in China.
- In the 2020 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), Hunan University is ranked at 201–300th in the world and 48–77th in Asia and Oceania.
- The U.S. News ranked Hunan University as 252th in the world, 33th in Asia and 14th in China, with its "Mechanical Engineering", "Chemistry", "Civil Engineering", "Electrical and Electronic Engineering", "Biotechnology and Applied Microbiology", "Energy and Fuels", "Engineering", "Chemical Engineering", and "Nanoscience and Nanotechnology" subjects ranked in the global top 100 in the 2021 best global universities rankings. It also ranks at 172nd in "Computer Science", at 250th in "Economics and Business", at 169th in "Biology and Biochemistry", at 142nd in "Environment/Ecology, at 115th in "Material Science", and at 208th in "Mathematics" according to the same ranking.
- In the 2020 THE World University Rankings, Hunan University is ranked at 401–500th globally, 79th in Emerging countries, 73th in Asia and 14th in China. It ranks 176–200th worldwide in "Business and Economics" and "Engineering and Technology" subjects and 251–300th globally in "Life Sciences" and "Physical Sciences" subjects according to the same ranking.
- Hunan university ranks in the global top 100 for several specific fields and subjects. In the ARWU by Subjects 2020, Hunan University ranks globally 17th in "Civil Engineering", 24th in "Remote Sensing", 34th in "Instruments Science & Technology", 40th in "Chemical Engineering", 45th in "Biotechnology", 51–75th in "Chemistry", 51–75th in "Mechanical Engineering", 51–75th in "Energy Science & Engineering", 76–100th in "Environmental Science & Engineering", 76–100th in "Nanoscience & Nanotechnology", 101–150th in "Electrical & Electronic Engineering", 101–150th in "Computer Science & Engineering", 101–150th in "Materials Science and Engineering", 101–150th in "Metallurgical Engineering", 151–200th in "Mathematics", 151–200th in "Automation & Control Engineering", 151–200th in "Telecommunication Engineering", 151–200th in " Water Resources Engineering", 201–300th in "Economics and Business Administration", 200–300th in "Earth Science", 300–400th in "Management" and 400–500th in "Physics".
|Global – Overall|
|ARWU World||201-300 (2020)|
|CWTS World||165 (2020)|
|THE World||401-500 (2021)|
|USNWR Global||252 (2021)|
- Hunan University ranks 14th worldwide in the 2016 Nature Index Rising Stars. In the Nature Index 2020 by Nature Research based on the data from May 1, 2019, to April 30, 2020, Hunan University ranks 67th among the leading research academic institutions globally, 25th in Asia Pacific, and 19th in China.
- Hunan University ranks 165th globally and 57th in Asia according to the Leiden Ranking 2020 based on the number of their scientific publications in the period 2015–2018. Looked at the proportion of their scientific publications that rank among the top 1% in their fields based on the same ranking, Hunan University ranks 39th globally, 5th in Asia and 3rd in the mainland China.
- In 2020, the Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities ranked Hunan University at 161st globally and 33rd in Asia. It ranks 3rd globally in "Civil Engineering", 10th in "Chemical Engineering", 14th in "Mechanical Engineering", 23rd in "Chemistry", 42nd in "Computer Science", 51st in "Electrical Engineering", 52nd in "Material Science", 87th in "Mathematics", 114th in "Physics" and 151st in "Economics and Business" according to the same ranking.
Hunan University traces its history back to the Yuelu Academy founded in 976 AD during the Song dynasty. Shuyuan was one form of higher learning school in China; another form was government-sponsored schools including imperial central school Taixue or Guozijian and regional schools. The Yuelu Academy was a venue for Chinese scholars and their students to meet and discuss sophisticated topics in the areas of Confucian Studies.
The modern school was founded in 1897, initially called Shiwu Xuetang and in 1903 called Hunan Institute of Higher Learning. The school name Hunan University was proposed in 1912, and in 1926 Hunan University was composed of three specialized public schools of Hunan. It was renamed Central-South Institute of Civil Engineering in 1937 and then Hunan Polytechnic College. The name Hunan University was again adopted in 1949.
The calligraphy of "Yuelu Academy" was written by Emperor Zhenzong of Song in 1015, and the calligraphy of "Hunan University" was written by Mao Zedong in 1950 as soon as the People's Republic of China was founded.
For more than 1000 years, academic activities have been carrying on here. In the course of its development from Yuelu Academy to Hunan University, this long-established institution has cultivated a large number of outstanding scholars and has been honored as an "Ancient Millenarian Academy, Famous Centennial University".
Among its prominent alumni are Wang Fuzhi, a celebrated philosopher in Chinese history; Wei Yuan, a reformist who first advocated to learn from the West; Zeng Guofan, the first Chinese to initiate the Modernization Movement (at the time called Yangwu Yundong, a movement to imitate overseas technology and industry) and to make arrangements for a modern factory in China; Zuo Zongtang, a national hero who arranged to build China's first modern navy and took great pains to defend and develop Xinjiang; Guo Songtao, China's first ambassador to a foreign country; Cai E, a major leader in defending the Republic of China; Zhang Fengxuan, the first Chinese to set foot on the continent of Antarctica; and Ci Yungui, the chief designer of China's first super computer.
Academics and administration
The administration is led by a CPC secretary and a president. The current secretary is Deng Wei and the president is Duan Xianzhong.
There are more than 30,000 full-time students, including more than 20,800 undergraduates and more than 14,000 graduate students.
The college is part of the 211 Project and Project 985.
It has the following colleges and departments:
- Business Administration
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Chinese Language and Literature
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Electronic Engineering
- Economy and Trade
- Educational Science
- Electrical and Information Engineering
- Environmental Science and Engineering
- Finance and Statistics
- Foreign Languages and International Studies
- Journalism and Communication and Film and Television Arts
- Marxism Studies
- Mathematics and Econometrics
- Materials and Engineering
- Mechanical Vehicle Engineering
- Physical Education
- Physics and Microelectronics Science
- Yuelu Academy
The dormitories for oversea students are located at Dezhi Students' Residential Area and North campus. Hunan University has started to recruit international students since 1992 and is one of the Project 985 universities in China to launch an international student program taught entirely in English. Every year, Hunan University has approximately 1,000 international students from over 108 countries and regions in the world, as well as Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macau, working for bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, doctoral degrees or studying the Chinese language and culture. Hunan university encourages international students to study at the university through the Self-Financed Program, the Partial Scholarship Program and the Full Scholarship Program for eligible students. More than 10% of all the international applicants have been awarded full scholarship. A number of scholarship include Distinguished Foreign Students Scholarship, Hunan Provincial Government Foreign Students Scholarship, Chinese Government Scholarship and Confucius Institute Scholarship.
Hunan University has been active at academic exchanges, and has established academic cooperation or academic exchange programs with over 160 oversea universities and research institutes across the world since 1998. It has been honorably listed among "China's Top 10" for four consecutive years by the Ministry of Education in terms of placing the joint international education as a top priority program. Hunan University is one of the top universities in China to form the BRICS Network University, a network of the BRICS member countries' higher education institutions engaged in cooperation and joining the BRICS Network University.
- Xue Xiangdong, billionaire businessman, chairman of DHC Software A more extensive list of Hunan university alumni can be found here.
- President of Hunan University
- Hunan University faculty
- Hunan University station
- List of universities in China
- "学校简介". Archived from the original on March 7, 2015. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Admonition of Hunan University". Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- 湖南大学简介 (in Chinese). Hunan University. 2019. Retrieved February 18, 2020.
- "International Rankings and Chinese Higher Education Reform". WENR. October 1, 2006. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
- "ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020 - Engineering | Shanghai Ranking - 2020". www.shanghairanking.com. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "Hunan University". nturanking.csti.tw. Retrieved November 23, 2020.
- "ARWU World University Rankings 2020 | Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020 | Top 1000 universities". Shanghai Ranking. 2020. Retrieved August 15, 2020.
- "Best Global Universities Rankings: Hunan University". U.S. News and World Report.
- Studies (CWTS), Centre for Science and Technology. "CWTS Leiden Ranking". CWTS Leiden Ranking. Retrieved July 8, 2020.
- "2020 tables: Institutions | 2020 tables | Institutions". Nature Index. Retrieved July 11, 2020.
- "URAP - University Ranking by Academic Academic Performance". www.urapcenter.org. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- "Hunan University". nturanking.lis.ntu.edu.tw. Retrieved August 18, 2020.
- "湖南省高等学校"双一流"建设学科". 湖南大学信息公开网. Retrieved July 19, 2020.
- "Introduction-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
- "学校简介-湖南大学". www.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- "HNU Listed as National Intellectual Property Demonstration University-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved October 28, 2020.
- "The Top 200 World University Rankings". The Times Higher Education Supplement. 2006. Retrieved June 25, 2007.
- "Emerging Economies". Times Higher Education (THE). January 22, 2020. Retrieved May 4, 2020.
- "World University Rankings". Times Higher Education (THE). August 20, 2019. Retrieved May 1, 2020.
- "ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2020". Shanghai Ranking. 2020. Retrieved June 29, 2020.
- "Top 100 institutions | Nature Index 2016 Rising Stars | Nature Index Supplements". Nature Index. Retrieved May 13, 2020.
- "Institution outputs". Nature Index. Retrieved July 8, 2020.
- "World University Rankings". nturanking.csti.tw. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- "Hunan University". nturanking.csti.tw. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- "歙县人张逢铿博士仙逝，第一个登上南极中国人！曾4回故土，重培育儿子爱祖国爱家乡情怀！-湖南大学校友总会". xyzh.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved October 13, 2020.
- "慈云桂：中国巨型计算机之父-科普中国". www.xinhuanet.com. Retrieved October 13, 2020.
- "学校简介". Hunan University. Archived from the original on March 7, 2015. Retrieved May 3, 2019.
- "International Students at Hunan University". www.at0086.com. Retrieved November 12, 2020.
- "Degree Programs Open to Foreign Applicants in 2009-2010 Academic Year-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- "Introduction-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved June 29, 2020.
- "Why HNU-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- "Partial Scholarship of Hunan University-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "Full Scholarship of Hunan University-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "Hunan Government Website International-enghunan.gov.cn Hunan Institutions Admitting International Students Under Chinese Government Scholarship Programs". www.enghunan.gov.cn. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "Notice to International Students Studying in China Under Chinese Government Scholarship Program-湖南大学英文网". www-en.hnu.edu.cn. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "Hunan Provincial Government Scholarship | govt.chinadaily.com.cn". govt.chinadaily.com.cn. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- "International Partners-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- "An Overview of International Cooperative Education at Hunan University-湖南大学英文网". Hunan University. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- "BRICS Network University". nu-brics.ru. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- "BRICS Network University". nu-brics.ru. Retrieved June 28, 2020.
- "Xue Xiangdong". Forbes. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hunan University.|