South Renmin Road (人民南路), Huaihua
Location of Huaihua City jurisdiction in Hunan
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Prefecture-level city||27,600 km2 (10,700 sq mi)|
|• Urban||32 km2 (12 sq mi)|
|• Prefecture-level city||5,000,000|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|• Urban density||12,000/km2 (30,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|ISO 3166 code||CN-HN-12|
Huaihua (simplified Chinese: 怀化市; traditional Chinese: 懷化市; pinyin: huáihuà shì) is a prefecture-level city in the southwest of Hunan province, China. it covers 27,564 km2 (10,643 sq mi) and is bordered by Xiangxi to the northwest; Zhangjiajie, Changde to the north; Yiyang, Loudi and Shaoyang to the east; Guilin and Liuzhou of Guangxi to the south; Qiandongnan, Tongren of Guizhou to the southwest. It has 4,741,948 of population (2010 census), accounting for 7.22% of the provincial population. According to 2010 Census, there are 2,909,574 Han Chinese, Han shares 61.4% of the population, 1,832,289 population of minorities, 38.6%; Dong, Miao, Tujia, Yao and Bai are major native minorities. Huaihua is the central region of Dong ethnic population, there lives 816,481 Dong people (2010 census), it shares 28.35 per centage of Chinese Dong ethnic group.
- Hecheng District (鹤城区)
- Hongjiang city (洪江市)
- Hongjiang District (洪江管理区)
- Yuanling County (沅陵县)
- Chenxi County (辰溪县)
- Xupu County (溆浦县)
- Zhongfang County (中方县)
- Huitong County (会同县)
- Mayang Miao Autonomous County (麻阳苗族自治县)
- Xinhuang Dong Autonomous County (新晃侗族自治县)
- Zhijiang Dong Autonomous County (芷江侗族自治县)
- Jingzhou Miao and Dong Autonomous County (靖州苗族侗族自治县)
- Tongdao Dong Autonomous County (通道侗族自治县)
Geography and economy
Huaihua lies in the mountainous west of Hunan, south-east of Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, and shares the same mountain belt. Railroads is a major means of transportation in the region, and an airport was opened in 2004.
Huaihua is home to the Second Artillery Corps Base 55, which is charged with maintaining ICBMs.  The nuclear assets at Huaihua are intended for small-scale nuclear conflicts  (with a limited, but nuclear, exchange), as well as the ability to strike Guam, one of only two B-2 bases.
The current CPC Party Secretary of Huaihua is Peng Guofu and the current Mayor is Lei Shaoye.
Huaihua is located at a major railway node and its economy has historically benefited from the concentration of railways meeting in the city. Three major railways, the Shanghai–Kunming Railway, the Jiaozuo–Liuzhou Railway, and the Chongqing–Huaihua Railway, intersect in the city. Through these railways Huaihua has connections to almost all major Chinese cities. Passenger trains are served by the Huaihua Railway Station.
Huaihua is on the route of G65 Baotou-Maoming Expressway, which connects it with Chongqing to the northwest. It is also on the route of G60 Shanghai–Kunming Expressway, which connects it with Guiyang to the west, and Changsha to the east. Other roads that run through the city include China National Highway 209 and China National Highway 320.
- Huaihua Census 2010 Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine. and Hunan Census 2010 Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- xzqh.org: Huaihua introduction, also see Huaihua Yearbook 2015
- Ethnic group Analysis of Huaihua Census 2010 (2012-11-30)
- According to China census 2010, there is 2,879,974 Dong ethnic population; Huaihua lives 816,481 population of Dong ethnic group, it shares 28.35% of Chinese Dong people.
- the forest coverage in 2015 is according to 2015 Statistical Report on National Economy and Social Development of Huaihua