List of Chief Ministers of Assam
|Chief Minister of Assam
(Assam Mukhya Mantri)
Seal of Assam
|Appointer||Governor of Assam|
|Inaugural holder||Gopinath Bordoloi|
|Formation||11 February 1946|
The Chief Minister of Assam, a northeast Indian state, is the head of the Government of Assam. As per the Constitution of India, the governor is the state's de jure head, but de facto executive authority rests with the chief minister. Following elections to the Assam Legislative Assembly, the governor usually invites the party (or coalition) with a majority of seats to form the government. The governor appoints the chief minister, whose council of ministers are collectively responsible to the assembly. Given that he has the confidence of the assembly, the chief minister's term is for five years and is subject to no term limits.
Chief Ministers of Assam
|No||Name||Term of office||Party[a]||Days in office|
|1||Gopinath Bordoloi||11 February 1946||6 August 1950||Indian National Congress||1,638|
|2||Bishnu Ram Medhi||9 August 1950||27 December 1957||2,698|
|3||Bimala Prasad Chaliha||28 December 1957||6 November 1970||4,696|
|4||Mahendra Mohan Choudhry||11 November 1970||30 January 1972||446|
|5||Sarat Chandra Sinha||31 January 1972||12 March 1978||2,232|
|6||Golap Borbora||12 March 1978||4 September 1979||Janata Party||542|
|7||Jogendra Nath Hazarika||9 September 1979||11 December 1979||94|
|12 December 1979||5 December 1980||N/A||359|
|8||Anowara Taimur||6 December 1980||30 June 1981||Indian National Congress||207|
|30 June 1981||13 January 1982||N/A||197|
|9||Kesab Chandra Gogoi||13 January 1982||19 March 1982||Indian National Congress||66|
|19 March 1982||27 February 1983||N/A||345|
|10||Hiteswar Saikia||27 February 1983||23 December 1985||Indian National Congress||1,031|
|11||Prafulla Kumar Mahanta||24 December 1985||28 November 1990||Asom Gana Parishad||1,799|
|28 November 1990||30 June 1991||N/A||214|
|(10)||Hiteswar Saikia ||30 June 1991||22 April 1996||Indian National Congress||[Total 2,788] 1,757|
|12||Bhumidhar Barman||22 April 1996||14 May 1996||23|
|(11)||Prafulla Kumar Mahanta ||15 May 1996||17 May 2001||Asom Gana Parishad||[Total 3,628] 1,829|
|13||Tarun Gogoi||17 May 2001||Incumbent||Indian National Congress||5,385|
- This column only names the chief minister's party. The state government he heads may be a complex coalition of several parties and independents; these are not listed here.
- When President's rule is in force in a state, its council of ministers stands dissolved. The office of chief minister thus lies vacant. At times, the legislative assembly also stands dissolved.
- Durga Das Basu. Introduction to the Constitution of India. 1960. 20th Edition, 2011 Reprint. pp. 241, 245. LexisNexis Butterworths Wadhwa Nagpur. ISBN 978-81-8038-559-9. Note: although the text talks about Indian state governments in general, it applies for the specific case of Assam as well.
- Chief Ministers from the Assam Assembly website
- Amberish K. Diwanji. "A dummy's guide to President's rule". Rediff.com. 15 March 2005. Retrieved on 3 March 2013.