List of prisons in India
As of 31 December 2015, there are 1,401 functioning jails in India, having a total capacity to house 3,66,781 prisoners.
- 1 States
- 1.1 Andhra Pradesh
- 1.2 Arunachal Pradesh
- 1.3 Assam
- 1.4 Bihar
- 1.5 Chhattisgarh
- 1.6 Goa
- 1.7 Gujarat
- 1.8 Haryana
- 1.9 Himachal Pradesh
- 1.10 Jammu and Kashmir
- 1.11 Jharkhand
- 1.12 Karnataka
- 1.13 Kerala
- 1.14 Madhya Pradesh
- 1.15 Maharashtra
- 1.16 Manipur
- 1.17 Meghalaya
- 1.18 Mizoram
- 1.19 Nagaland
- 1.20 Odisha
- 1.21 Punjab
- 1.22 Rajasthan
- 1.23 Sikkim
- 1.24 Tamil Nadu
- 1.25 Telangana
- 1.26 Tripura
- 1.27 Uttar Pradesh
- 1.28 Uttarakhand
- 1.29 West Bengal
- 2 Union Territories
- 3 Decommissioned
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
- Rajahmundry Central Prison.
- Nellore Central Prison
- Kadapa Central Prison
- Visakhapatnam Central Prison
Besides the above four central prisons, the state has 7 district jails, 99 sub-jails, a women's jail and an open jail.
- Guwahati Central Jail, Guwahati
- Tezpur Central Jail, Sonitpur
- Silchar Central Jail, Cachar
- Dibrugarh Central Jail
- Jorhat Central Jail
- Nagaon Central Jail
Apart from the above-mentioned 6 central jails, Assam has 22 district jails, 1 sub-jail, an open jail and a special jail.
- Gaya Central Jail near Rampur thana, Gaya
- Beur Central Jail, Patna
- Khudi Ram Bose,Central Jail Muzaffarpur, Muzaffarpur
- Jubba Sahni Bhagalpur Central Jail, Bhagalpur
- Motihari Central Jail
- Purnea Central Jail
- Buxar Central Jail
- Jehanabad Central Jail at Kako, Jehanabad
The state also has 31 district jails, 17 sub-jails, a women's jail, an open jail and a special jail.
- Raipur Central Jail, Raipur
- Jagdalpur Central Jail, Jagdalpur
- Bilaspur Central Jail, Bilaspur
- Ambikapur Central Jail, Ambikapur
- Durg Central Jail, Durg
- Aguada Central Jail, Aguada
A modern central jail is under construction at Colvale, Bardez Goa.
- Sabarmati Central Jail, Ahmedabad
- Vadodara Central Prison, Vadodara
- Rajkot Central Prison, Rajkot
- Lajpor Central Prison, Surat
Gujarat also has 7 district jails, 11 sub-jails, a women's jail, 2 open jails and 2 special jails.
- Central Jail, Ambala
- Central Jail-I, Hisar
- Central Jail-II, Hisar
Jammu and Kashmir
The state also has 10 district jails and 2 sub-jails.
- Birsa Munda Central Jail, Ranchi
- LokNayak Jaiprakash Narayan Central Jail, Hazaribagh
- Dumka Central Jail, Dumka
- Central Jail, Ghaghidh, Jamshedpur
- Central Jail, Palamu ( Daltonganj)
Jharkhand also has 17 district jails, 5 sub-jails, 1 borstal school and an open jail.
- Central Prison, Bangalore
- Central Prison, Belgaum
- Central Prison, Bellary (1884)
- Central Prison, Bijapur (1888)
- Central Prison, Gulbarga
- Central Prison, Mysore(1862)
- Central Prison, Dharwad
- Central Prison, Tumkur
- Central Prison, Viyyur, Thrissur
- Central Prison, Poojappura, Thiruvananthapuram
- Central Prison, Kannur
Kerala also has 11 district jails, 16 sub-jails, 3 women's jail, 1 borstal school, 3 open jails, 16 special jails and 1 other jail.
- Central Jail, Indore
- Central Jail, Gwalior
- New Central Jail, Bhopal
- Central Jail, Rewa
- Central Jail, Satna
- Central Jail, Ujjain
- Central Jail, Sagar
- Central Jail, Narsinghpur
- Central Jail, Barwani
- Central Jail, Hoshangabad
Madhya Pradesh also has 39 district jails, 72 sub-jails and an open jail.
- Arthur Road Jail, Mumbai
- Harsul Central Jail, Aurangabad
- Yerwada Central Jail, Pune
- Nagpur Central Jail, Nagpur
- Nashik Road Central Jail, Nashik
- Taloja Central Jail, Kharghar
- Kolhapur Central Prison, Kalamba
- Thane Central Prison, Thane
- Amaravati Central Prison, Amaravati
The state also has 28 district jails, 100 sub-jails, 1 women's jail, 1 borstal school, 13 open jails, 1 special jail and 1 other jail.
- Manipur Central Jail, Imphal
- Manipur Central Jail, Sajiwa
There are two district jails at Churachandpur and Chandel. Both are non-functional.
There is also a sub-jail at Jiribam which is temporarily closed.
Although the state has 4 district jails, it does not have any central jail.
- Aizawl Central Jail, Aizawl.
The state also has 6 district jails.
- Dimapur Central Jail, Dimapur.
The state also has 10 district jails.
- Baripada Circle Jail, Mayurbhanj
- Berhampur Circle Jail, Ganjam
- Choudwar Circle Jail, Cuttack
- Koraput Circle Jail, Koraput
- Sambalpur Circle Jail, Sambalpur
The state also has 9 district jails, 73 sub-jails, 1 women's jail, 1 open jail and 2 special jails.
- Ferozpur Central Jail, Ferozpur
- Patiala Central Jail, Patiala
- Ludhiana Central Jail, Ludhiana
- Amritsar Central Jail, Amritsar
- Guradspur Central Jail, Gurdaspur
- Bathinda Central Jail, Bathinda
- Jalandhar Central Jail, Kapurthala
- Faridkot Central Jail, Faridkot
- Central Jail, Hoshiarpur
The state also has 7 district jails, 7 sub-jails, a women's jail (in Ludhiana), a borstal school and an open jail.
Construction work of new jails at Nabha and Mansa was nearing completion as of mid-2016.
- Jaipur Central Jail, Jaipur
- Jodhpur Central Jail, Jodhpur
- Central Jail, Udaipur
- Central Jail, Bikaner
- Central Jail, Ajmer
- Central Jail, Kota
- Central Jail, Bharatpur
- Central Jail, Sri Ganganagar
- Central Jail, Alwar
- State Central Prison, Rongyek
One more district prison at Omchung was proposed in 2005-06.
- Coimbatore Central Prison, Coimbatore
- Cuddalore Central Prison
- Madurai Central Prison
- Palayamkottai Central Prison
- Puzhal Central Prison I, Puzhal
- Puzhal Central Prison II, Puzhal
- Tiruchirappalli Central Prison
- Vellore Central Prison, Vellore
- Salem Central Prison, Salem
The state also has 9 district jails, 96 sub-jails, 3 women's jails, 12 borstal schools, 3 open jails and 5 special jails.
- Chanchalguda Central Jail, Hyderabad
- Cherlapally Central Jail, Cherlapally
- Warangal Central Jail, Warangal
The state also has 7 district jails, 33 sub-jails, a women's jail, a borstal school, 1 open jail and 4 special jails. Telangana State Prisons Department introduced the Video Linkage System between prisons and courts for the first time in the country, which enabled the delivery of speedy justice to prisoners under trial.
- Kendriya Sansodhanagar, Bishalgarh
The state also has 2 district jails and 10 sub-jails. One women's jail also exists in the complex of Kendriya Sansodhanagar, Tripura, Bishalgarh. A new district jail at Ambassa and a new sub-jail at Santirbazar will be opened in the near future.
- Naini Central Prison, Allahabad
- Central Jail, Faizabad
- Varanasi Jail, Varanasi
- Fatehgarh Jail, Fatehgarh
- Aawadha Central Jail, Faizabad
- Bareilly Central Jail, Bareilly
- Agra Jail, Agra
The state also has 57 district jails, 2 sub-jails, a women's jail and 2 special jails.
- Central Jail, Sitarganj, Udham Singh Nagar
The state also has 7 district jails, 2 sub-jails and an open jail.
- Central Jail, Jalpaiguri
- Central Jail, Berhampore
- Central Jail, Midnapore
- Central Jail, Dum Dum, Kolkata
- Alipore Jail, Kolkata
- Central Jail, Presidency, Alipore, Kolkata
- Central Jail, Burdwan
The state also has 12 district jails, 33 sub-jails, 1 women's jails, 2 open jails and 3 special jails.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Andaman and Nicobar Islands has 1 district jail, 3 sub-jails and a special jail.
- Model Jail, Chandigarh
Dadra and Nagar Haveli
Dadra and Nagar Haveli has a sub-jail located at Silvassa.
Daman and Diu
Daman and Diu has 2 special jails, one each at Daman and Diu.
- Central Jail No. 1, Tihar, New Delhi
- Central Jail No. 2, Tihar, New Delhi
- Central Jail No. 3, Tihar, New Delhi
- Central Jail No. 4, Tihar, New Delhi
- Central Jail No. 5, Tihar, New Delhi
- Central Jail No. 6, Tihar, New Delhi
- Central Jail No. 7, Tihar, New Delhi
- Central Jail No. 8/9, Tihar, New Delhi
- Harsh Vihar Prisons Complex
Delhi also has 1 district jail and 1 women's jail.
Union Territory Lakshadweep has 4 sub-jails.
- Central Prison, Kalapet, Puducherry
It also has 1 sub-jail and 2 special jails.
The following Indian prisons have been decommissioned and demolished:
- Cellular Jail, Port Blair
- Madras Central Prison, Chennai
- Bankipur Central Jail, Patna
- Freedom Park, Bangalore
- Musheerabad Jail, Hyderabad
- Viper Island, Andaman Islands
- Central Jail, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Ross Island Penal Colony, Port Blair
- "Snapshots-2015" (PDF). www.ncrb.in. National Crime Records Bureau. Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- "Jails of Chattisgarh". jail.cg.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "Goa Prisons". Inspector General of Prisons. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "Haryana Prisons". haryanaprisons.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "HP Prisons". admis.hp.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Directorate of Prisons, Government of Jammu & Kashmir". www.jkprisons.org. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Directorate of Prisons, Government of Jammu & Kashmir". www.jkprisons.org. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- Venkatesh, R. "Confined to chaos at Central Jail". Deccan Herald, Bangalore. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Karnataka Prisons". Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "Welcome to Prisons Department". Prison Department, Government of Mizoram, India. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Disclosures Under Sec 4 of Right to Information Act 2005 (Introduction)". nlsic.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-07-26.
- "PRISON ADMINISTRATION AND CORRECTIONAL SERVICES". www.homeorissa.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Department of Home Affairs and Justice". Government of Punjab, India. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Prison population Statistics". Rajasthan Prisons. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "RTI Act - Category of Prisons" (PDF). Rajasthan Prisons. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "State Prisons, Government of Sikkim, India". Retrieved 28 July 2016.
- "Report of State Govt committee on Omchung Jail miscalculation still awaited". Retrieved 28 July 2016 – via Sikkim Now!.
- "Tamil Nadu Prison Department - Organisation Chart". www.prisons.tn.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "TS Prisons Department". tsprisons.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Telangana State Prison Department". Telangana State Prison Department. Retrieved 29 July 2016.
- "About Us | Directorate of Prisons". prisons.tripura.gov.in. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "U.P. Prisons". upprisons.up.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "'Patna has lost its charm'". B K Mishra,TNN. The Times of India (Patna). 6 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2014.