Aeropuerto de Tenerife Sur
Tenerife Sur/Reina Sofía Airport - GCTS
|IATA: TFS – ICAO: GCTS|
|Location||Granadilla de Abona, Spain|
|Elevation AMSL||64 m / 209 ft|
Tenerife South Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto de Tenerife Sur) (IATA: TFS, ICAO: GCTS), previously known as Tenerife South-Reina Sofia Airport, is the larger of the two international airports located on the island of Tenerife (the other being Tenerife North Airport) and the second busiest in the Canary Islands. It is located in the municipality of Granadilla de Abona and handled over 9 million passengers in 2014.
In the late 1960s, the island authorities of Tenerife Identified the need for a new airport at a new location as the existing airport did not meet technical requirements due to adverse weather conditions.
The new airport was inaugurated on 6 November 1978, by Queen Sofía of Spain, to whom the airport is dedicated. The first flight was Iberia flight IB187 from Lanzarote, which was operated by a McDonnell Douglas DC-9 landing at 10:17. By the end of its first year, 1 million passengers had passed through its doors.
Tenerife South consists of one three-storey passenger terminal in a classic brick style. The main level, Floor 0, contains all check-in and service counters, the departures waiting areas as well as the arrivals and main baggage reclaim. The departures area features 34 boarding gates of which eight are equipped with jetbridges. While the upper floor 1 contains office space and transit corridors, the basement level -1 features additional luggage belts.
Airlines and destinations
Destinations by airline served from Tenerife South Airport:
|Updated: 16 January 2015. 2014 data provisional.|
|Passengers||Aircraft movements||Cargo (tonnes)|
|Source: Aena Statistics|
|9||Newcastle upon Tyne||185,431|
- "AENA passenger statistics and aircraft movements". Aena.es. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Spanish AIP (AENA)". Aena.es. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "History Tenerife South Airport". Aena.es. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Airport at Tenerife Sur".
- "Airports of the World connected with: Tenerife". Aena.es. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Аэрофлот начинает полеты на Тенерифе". Новости. Aeroflot. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- "Air Europa Adds Tenerife – Alicante Route from late-Oct 2015".
- "Belavia to launch charter flights to Tenerife on 18 March". BelTA – News from Belarus. Belarusian Telegraph Agency. 9 March 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "brussels airlines Adds Canary Islands Service in W15". Airlineroute.net. 17 April 2015. Retrieved 17 April 2015.
- "Tenerife South to Paris CDG - Cheap Flights £35.91 or less". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Tenerife South to Geneva - Cheap Flights £48.73 or less". Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Eurowings / germanwings Adds New Canary Islands Routes in W16".
- "Jet2.com Adds Birmingham Routes in S17". routesonline. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "Jet2 announce massive growth at Edinburgh Airport". Edinburgh Airport. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- "Norwegian Adds New UK - Canary Islands Winter Routes from Oct 2015". Airlineroute.net. 13 May 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Norwegian to Launch Domestic Spain Routes from late-Oct 2015". Airlineroute.net. 10 July 2015. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "Ryanair Expands Belfast Service from Sep 2016".
- "SmartWings Contact". smartwings.com.
- "SmartWings Flight schedule". smartwings.com.
- "Thomson Airways current flight timetable". Flights.thomson.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "Humberside Airport". Twitter.
- "Thomas Cook Airlines current flight timetable". Book.flythomascook.com. Retrieved 2012-09-25.
- "New Routes from Rome S16" (in Italian). 5 October 2015. Retrieved 6 October 2015.
- "WizzAir Adds New Canary Islands Service in W16".
- "Wow Air to Start Tenerife Service from April 2015". Airline Route. Retrieved 2 March 2016.
- "Tenerife South Airport passengers statistics". Aena.es. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
Media related to Tenerife South Airport at Wikimedia Commons