San Jose, Dinagat Islands
|Nickname(s): "The Place of Mystical Adventure"|
Location within the Dinagat Islands
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Congr. district||Lone district of Dinagat Islands|
|Founded||November 15, 1989|
|• Mayor||Allan B. Ecleo II|
|• Total||27.80 km2 (10.73 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||4th class town|
San Jose is the seat of the Philippine Benevolent Missionaries Association (PBMA).
The Municipality of San Jose was named in honor of Jose Ecleo who was its pioneer and the father of the late renowned mayor of the Municipality of Dinagat, Ruben Edera Ecleo Sr.
It was once a part of the municipality of Dinagat. Even then, San Jose has been significantly progressive compared with the Poblacion until its creation as a municipality on November 15, 1989 by virtue of Republic Act No. 6769 authored by Hon. Glenda B. Ecleo, during the time of President Corazon C. Aquino. The creation was amended on December 20, 2009, an act to amend Section 1 of the above-mentioned Republic Act through Republic Act 9859 covering an area of 3,422 hectares. It was within its jurisdiction twelve (12) barangays namely; San Jose, Matingbe, Aurelio, Jacquez, San Juan, Mahayahay, Don Ruben, Justiniana Edera, Sta. Cruz, Cuarinta, Wilson and Luna.
San Jose has many roads, a commercial establishment, a concrete port, a college and other urban uses not common to rural communities.
|Population census of
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 27 March 2013.
- "Province: Dinagat Islands". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Republic Act No. 6769; An Act Creating the Municipality of San Jose in the Province of Surigao del Norte". Chan Robles Virtual Law Library. 15 November 1989. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code listing for San Jose - National Statistical Coordination Board
- "Province of Surigao Del Norte". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 30 July 2013.