Women's Reservation Bill
|Women's Reservation Bill|
|Enacted by||Parliament of India|
|Part of a series on|
|Constitution of India|
The Women's Reservation Bill or The Constitution (108th Amendment) Bill, 2008, is a lapsed bill in the Parliament of India which proposed to amend the Constitution of India to reserve 33% of all seats in the Lower house of Parliament of India, the Lok Sabha, and in all state legislative assemblies for women. The seats were proposed to be reserved in rotation and would have been determined by draw of lots in such a way that a seat would be reserved only once in three consecutive general elections.
There is a long-term plan to extend this reservation to parliament and legislative assemblies. In addition, women in India get reservation or preferential treatments in education and jobs. Its opponents consider this preferential treatment of women in India as discrimination against them in admissions to schools, colleges, and universities. For instance, several law schools in India have a 30% reservation for females.
- Women in India
- Sexism in India
- The Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act, 2013
- "Rajya Sabha passes Women's Reservation Bill". The Times Of India. 9 March 2010.
- "Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar calls for women's empowerment — Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 9 March 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Uproar in India Over Female Lawmaker Quota". The New York Times. 9 March 2010.
- "Bill Track- Women's Reservation Bill [The Constitution (108th Amendment) Bill, 2008]". www.prsindia.org. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Chattopadhyay, Raghabendra, and Esther Duflo. 2004. "Women as Policy Makers: Evidence from a Randomized Policy Experiment in India." Econometrica 72(5): 1409-43.
- Women are seeking 33% reservation in jobs, promotions
- Women's Bill: What's the fuss about? Rediff 24 August 2005.
- The reservations business Indian Express, 11 August 1998.
- Law schools set aside 30% quota for girls Times of India