1991 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1991 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – R. Venkataraman
- Prime Minister of India – Chandra Shekhar Singh until 21 June, P. V. Narasimha Rao
- 21 May - Assassination of Rajiv Gandhi: Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi is assassinated by a LTTE Suicide Bomber in Sriperumbudur near Chennai in Tamil Nadu during the election campaign.
- 31 May - The Government of India constitutes the Company Law Board as an independent quasi-judicial body thus giving up direct control on matters of company law.
- 15 June - When the general election results are all compiled, the Congress Party has won a plurality of votes.
- 21 June - Indian National Congress leader P.V. Narasimha Rao becomes Prime Minister.
- 24 June - J. Jayalalithaa is sworn in as chief minister of Tamil Nadu for the first time.
- 24 July - The government of India announces its New Industrial Policy, marking the start of India's economic reforms.
- 11 October - Sikh Separatists bomb Hindu Procession in Lucknow, killing 41 people.
- 11 December - Rapid Action Force established by Union Home Ministry.
- 15 May - Kalindi Charan Panigrahi, poet, novelist, story writer, dramatist and essayist (born 1901).
- 24 October - Ismat Chughtai, writer (born 1915).
- Gorur Ramaswamy Iyengar, writer (born 1904).
- 7 February - Rushabh Jain, graduate from jaihind college Mumbai & article trainee at nipun sudhir associates & known as popular cricketer.
- 7 June-Divyam Shah, First young Vigilance Officer At age 19.Government Of India
- 14 September - Sujatha, Software Engineer.