East China Normal University
|East China Normal University (ECNU)|
|Campus||Putuo Campus (1072.25 acres)
Minhang Campus (2071.53 acres)
|Former names||Shanghai Normal University (1972-1980)|
|Affiliations||BRICS Universities League
Yangtze Delta Universities Alliance
|East China Normal University|
East China Normal University (Chinese: 华东师范大学), commonly referred to as ECNU, is a comprehensive research university in Shanghai, China. Established in 1951, it is the first national normal university of the People's Republic of China.
Originally founded to train school teachers, the University is now an institution training researchers, professors, high-level civil servants, as well as business and political leaders. Sponsored by the national program "Project 211" and "Project 985", the university is a staunch force in the nation's research in the humanities, social sciences and technology innovation, and is reputed to be the "Columbia of the East". ECNU is ranked 67th in Asia according to the Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings in 2014, while the Leiden Ranking considered it 280th worldwide in 2013.
ECNU is an institution of higher education with global impact. China's first Sino-US higher education institute – New York University Shanghai (NYU Shanghai) – is jointly operated by New York University and ECNU. King's College London, the University of California, as well as the University of Manchester hold their international summer schools at ECNU each year.
Since 2013, the University officially changed its French name to École normale supérieure de l'Est de la Chine, to put forward the academic cooperation between ECNU and the École Normale Supérieure Group in France. And the ENS-ECNU Joint Graduate School was formally established in June 2005.
- 1 History
- 2 Present
- 3 Organization
- 4 Research
- 5 Faculty and staff
- 6 Campus
- 7 Notable people
- 8 Addresses
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Based on the Great China University (or Daxia University, founded in 1924) and Kwang Hua University (founded in 1925), East China Normal University was established in October 1951 on the site of Great China University and was joined at the same time by a number of faculty members from Fudan University, Tongji University, University of Shanghai and East China PE Academy.
In 1952, the Chinese government regrouped the country's higher education institutions in an attempt to build a Soviet-style system, departments from Saint John's University, Zhejiang University, University of Shanghai, Utopia University, Aurora University, Tongji University and Jiaotong University were incorporated into ECNU. After the adjustment, ECNU was changed to a comprehensive multi-disciplinary university in China.
In March 1959, ECNU was authenticated as one of the first 16 National Key Universities in China, and this status was reaffirmed in 1978. From 1972 to 1980 (the Cultural Revolution in mainland China), it was known as Shanghai Normal University, and in 1980 its original name "ECNU" was resumed. In June 1986, ECNU was selected to be one of the first 33 higher education institutions authorized, by the State Council, to establish their graduate schools.
In 1996, ECNU passed the prerequisites appraisal and became one of universities sponsored by the major national program "Project 211". In 2006, the Ministry of Education and Shanghai Municipality signed into a partnership for co-sponsoring the development of the university, qualifying ECNU as a member of the "Project 985" and facilitating ECNU's efforts and progress toward a comprehensive, research-oriented and internationalized world-class university.
ECNU is a nationally renowned university under the direct auspices of the Ministry of Education of China and sponsored by the prestigious national program "Project 211" and "Project 985". Boasting one of the most beautiful university campuses in China, ECNU is reputed as the "garden university".
The University sponsors or supervises publication of more than 20 academic journals and periodicals. The library collection exceeds 4,000,000 volumes. 21 primary or secondary schools are affiliated to the university.
The development and transformation of the country and the modernized international metropolis of Shanghai brings huge opportunities to the university for its progress. ECNU is working its way up enthusiastically and steadfastly toward the goal of establishing itself as "an internationally renowned high-level research university".
ECNU attaches great importance to the internationalization in its development and enjoys a wide influence and reputation in the world. The university has established strategic cooperative partnership with many world-renowned universities, such as ENS Group in France, the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell University in USA, Tokyo University and Kobe University in Japan, and the University of Melbourne in Australia, etc., and has been carrying out academic exchanges with over 150 universities and institutions of Great Britain, France, Germany, Japan, the United States, Canada, Australia, Korea, and Russia, etc. ECNU plays host to a CIEE satellite campus, where 100 American college students study abroad each semester. The University also runs an Online College of the Chinese language in collaboration with the National Office for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language (NOCFL), which is the first of its kind to be established in the country with over 5,800 students in 137 countries and regions. In 2008, it set up the NOCFL Study and Training Base for International Chinese Teachers.
- In 2002 the ÉNS Paris, ENS Cachan, and ENS Lyon set up a Master's-PhD programme at the East China Normal University in Shanghai. An ENS campus is housed within the ECNU at the Aspiring Researchers Institute and at the Franco-Chinese Advanced Studies Institute.
- In 2007, the EMLYON Business School opened the official EMLYON Asia Campus in the heart of the ECNU campus.
- In 2008, the Cornell-ECNU Center for Comparative Culture was jointly funded by Cornell University and ECNU.
- China's first Sino-American university – New York University Shanghai (NYU Shanghai) – was co-established by New York University and ECNU, and was approved by the Ministry of Education in early 2011.
Study China Programme
Along with several other Chinese universities, East China Normal University has hosted the United Kingdom (UK) government-funded Study China Programme for a number of years. In this programme, students from UK institutions spend one to two months during summer studying Mandarin Chinese and Chinese culture at a university in China. The programme is organised by the University of Manchester and is fully funded by UK government bodies, such as the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills. Its purpose is to strengthen ties between UK university students and China, in particular as relatively few British students enroll in degrees in China each year. The programme has increased relations between ECNU and numerous leading UK universities.
Sponsored by Shanghai Municipal Education Commission and Shanghai Foreign Affairs Office, the Diplomats' Program has been organized by ECNU since 2011. In this program, consular officials from over 20 different countries spend two months during summer studying at East China Normal University. 
At present the university is made up of 20 full-time schools and colleges, 2 unconventional colleges and 5 advanced research institutes, with 58 departments offering 76 undergraduate programs.
Full-time schools and colleges
- School of Humanities and Social Science
- School of Social Development
- School of Foreign Languages
- International College of Chinese Studies
- School of Education Science
- The School of Psychology and Cognitive Science
- Preschool and Special Education School
- School of Sports and Health
- School of Public Administration
- School of Business
- School of Finance and Statistics
- School of Communication
- School of Art
- School of Design
- School of Science & Engineering
- College of Resources and Environment Science
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Science and Engineering
- School of Software Engineering
- Meng Xiancheng College (Teachers College)
- College of Continuing Education
- College of Distance Education
Advanced research institutes
- Institute of Estuary and Coastal Research
- Institute for Advanced International and Regional Studies
- Institute for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies
- Institute of Arts
- Si-mian Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities
Among them, the School of Software is the only state-wide pilot School of Software at a normal university; the International College of Chinese Studies is among the eight State Bases for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, certified by the Ministry of Education. ECNU is designated as one of the National Liberal Arts and Basic Sciences Training and Research Bases in its disciplines of Chinese, History, Mathematics, Geography, Psychology and Physics.
ECNU's Business School was founded by the pioneer of China's Economics and Financing studies, Prof. Chen Biao Ru. Hence, the Business School of ECNU inherited the good tradition and enjoys top reputation in the economic and financial circle in China.
The Ministry of Education's Training Center for Secondary School Principals at ECNU is a state base for the training of secondary school principals in Mainland China and advanced studies of those in Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. ECNU is the only university in China designated as a national training center for elite secondary school principals and enjoys the reputation as the "Whampoa Military Academy" for secondary school principals.
The university is officially authorized to offer programs:
- in two of the Primary Disciplines and five of the Sub-Disciplines, which are enlisted as National Key Disciplines;
- in five of the disciplines, which are enlisted as Preparatory National Key Disciplines,
- in 12 disciplines enlisted as Shanghai Key Disciplines.
It has two State Key Laboratories, one National Field Observation and Research Station, six Key Labs or Engineering Centers, and six Key Research Bases for Humanities and Social Sciences of the Ministry of Education. ECNU is authorized to offer 112 doctoral programs covering 14 Primary Disciplines, 178 master's programs in six specialties, i.e., Education, Public Administration, Engineering, Physical Education and Business Administration, and to set up 14 post-doctoral mobile research stations.
State key laboratories
- State Key Laboratory of Estuarine and Coastal Research
- State Key Laboratory of Precision Spectroscopy
Key laboratories of provincial level and ministerial level
- Key Laboratory of Brain Functional Genomics, Ministry of Education
- Key Laboratory of Geography-Information Science, Ministry of Education
- Shanghai Insititute of Brain Functional Genomics
- Shanghai Key Laboratory of Green Chemistry and Green Chemical Process
- Shanghai Key Laboratory of Urbanization & Ecological Restoration
- Shanghai Key Laboratory of Trustworthy Computing
- Institute of Curriculum and Instruction
- Institute of Modern Chinese Thought and Culture
- Center for Russian Studies
- Center for the Study of Chinese Characters and Their Applications
- Institute of Schooling Reform and Development
- Center for Modern Chinese City Studies
Joint Research Centre
- Cornell-ECNU Center for Comparative Culture
- KUL-ECNU Sino-Euro Culture Research Center
- ECNU-UBC Joint Research Core Group on China in Modern World
- Intercultural Education and Communication Research Center (with Humboldt University of Berlin)
Faculty and staff
ECNU has a faculty body of over 4,000, among whom there are 2000 full-time teachers (including over 1,200 professors or associate professors), 14 academicians of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or Chinese Academy of Engineering (six of them are academicians of both academies), 11 members of the State Council Academic Appraisal Committee, eight specially hired professors or lecture professors for the Yangtze Scholar Award Program sponsored by the Ministry of Education, nine "state-level talents" chosen by the New-Century Talents Project, ten National Outstanding Youth Fund award winner, 80 specially hired professors or lecture professors for ECNU's Zijiang Scholar Award Program, and 105 tenured professors.
The university's athletic facilities include an outdoor track, outdoor basketball courts, indoor basketball courts, and indoor tennis and badminton courts. The university lacks a traditional indoor gymnasium with running/biking machines, free weights, and weight machines.
Notable ECNU students and alumni
- Yu Lizhong (俞立中): Chancellor of New York University Shanghai.
- Wang Huning (王沪宁): Member of the Secretariat of the CPC Central Committee and director of Policy Research Office of the CPC Central Committee.
- Li Yuanchao (李源潮): Vice President of the People's Republic of China.
- He Xian (何宪): Vice Minister of the Ministry of Personnel of the P.R.China.
- Han Zheng (韩正): Communist Party Chief and former mayor of Shanghai.
- Xue Yongqi (薛永祺): Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Song Daxiang (宋大祥): Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Liu Boli (刘伯里): Academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
- Stephen Z.D. Cheng (程正迪): Academician of the National Academy of Engineering
- Lu Bai (鲁白): Senior Investigator of National Institutes of Health.
- Joe Z. Tsien (钱卓): Neuroscientist, Georgia Health Sciences University.
- Jiang Nanchun (江南春): Founder of Focus Media.
- Liu Xiang (刘翔): Gold medalist of 110-meter hurdles in the 2004 Summer Olympics.
- Xue Peijian (薛沛建): President of Shanghai Media & Entertainment Group.
- He Jifeng (何积丰)： Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and academic at ECNU.
- Chen Danyan (陈丹燕): Writer.
- Yuan Zhongyi (袁仲一)：Archaeologist, praised as "the father of the Terracotta Warriors".
- Cui Tiankai (崔天凯)：Chinese Ambassador to the United States.
- Du Jie (杜杰)：Professor at the University of New South Wales.
Notable current and former faculty and staff
- Meng Xiancheng: Educator, the first president of East China Normal University.
- Shen Zhihua: Professor of history at ECNU, expert in the history of the Soviet Union, Sino-Soviet relations, and the Cold War.
- Lü Simian: Chinese historian, former professor of history at ECNU.
- Shi Zhecun: Author, former professor of Chinese Language and Literature.
- Hu Huanyong: Demographer, forefather of modern Chinese demography and the founder of China's population geography.
- He Jifeng: Computer scientist, member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- East China Normal University Alumni Association
- East China Normal University Alumni Association in US
- East China Normal University Alumni Association in North California
- Minhang Campus: 500 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200241, P.R. China.
- North Zhongshan Road (Putuo) Campus: 3663 North Zhongshan Road, Shanghai 200062, P.R. China.
- No. 1 High School Affiliated to East China Normal University
- No. 2 High School Attached to East China Normal University
- ECNU History
- ECNU Overview
- KU Leuven seals partnerships with top Chinese universities
- Université de Genève Service de communication
- Top 10 normal universities in China
- Sina news. (Chinese)
- Sina travel. (Chinese)
- "The Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings 2014 top 100".
- King’s College London (University of London) Shanghai Summer School, International Students Office of ECNU
- Study China Programme, The University of Manchester
- ECNU News French Website Launched, ECNU.
- ENS International partnerships, École Normale Supérieure, France.
- International Exchange Division, ECNU
- http://lxs.ecnu.edu.cn/EnFront.do?method=findContentByChannel&parentid=58&kidid=353 About ECNU
- East China Normal University, China. (English)
- Joint Graduate Programme ECNU - ENS Group
- Programme - Groupe des ENS
- http://www.ens.fr/spip.php?rubrique8 The ENS in Shanghai
- http://www.em-lyon.com/en/EMLYON-Experience/EMLYON-Experience/Lyon-and-Shanghai-Campuses/Shanghai-Campus Shanghai Campus
- "New Cornell-China center for humanities will foster interdisciplinary research". USA: Cornell University. October 2008. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- China Daily (8 April 2012). "First Sino-US university to open in 2013". University World News. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Study China Programme Partnership Universities and locations". Study China. UK. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- University of Oxford, The Study China Programme, 2013.
- The Diplomats' Program, Shanghai Municipal Education Commission
- State Key Laboratory of Estuarine and Coastal Research, China.
- State Key Laboratory of Precision Spectroscopy, China.
- Shanghai Institute of Brain Functional Genomics, China.
- Institute of Curriculum and Instruction, China.
- Center for the Study of Chinese Characters and Their Applications, China.
- Institute of Schooling Reform and Development, China.
- Center for Modern Chinese City Studies, China.
- ECNU and KUL Found Sino-Euro Culture Research Center
- ECNU-UBC Joint Research Core Group on China in Modern World Established
- ECNU Delegation Visits HU Berlin and Universitat Hamburg
- East China Normal University Alumni Association, China.
- East China Normal University Alumni Association in US, China.
- East China Normal University Alumni Association in North California, China.
- Official website (English)
- Official Facebook page (English)
- Campus Tour (English)
- Global Education Center/International Students Office, ECNU (English)
- NYU Shanghai（上海纽约大学） (English)