|Butabika National Referral Hospital|
|Uganda Ministry of Health|
|Location||Butabika, Kampala, Uganda|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
Butabika National Referral Hospital, commonly known as Butabika Hospital is a hospital in Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. It is the mental health national referral hospital for the entire country's estimated population of 36 million in 2014.
Butabika National Referral Hospital is located in Butabika, a neighborhood within Kampala. Butabika lies in the southeastern part of the city, in Nakawa Division, adjacent to the northern shores of Lake Victoria, Africa's largest fresh-water lake. This location is approximately 12 kilometres (7.5 mi), by road, east of Kampala's central business district. The coordinates of Butabika Hospital are:0°18'57.0"N, 32°39'33.0"E (Latitude:0.315845; Longitude:32.659160).
Butabika Hospital is a public psychiatric hospital, funded and administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health and general care in the hospital is free. The hospital is the only referral psychiatric hospital in Uganda. Opened in 1955, it has a bed capacity of 900, as of February 2010. The hospital also serves as the psychiatric teaching hospital for Makerere University College of Health Sciences for both undergraduate and postgraduate training, especially for the degrees of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB), Master of Medicine in Psychiatry (MMed Psych) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Psychiatry.
Butabika Hospital is also the location of the Institute of Psychiatric Clinical Officers (IPCO), a school administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health, which trains high school graduates to become Psychiatric Clinical Officers. It is the only school of its kind in Eastern Africa.
- "Map Showing Central Kampala And Butabika With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Google (4 July 2015). "Location of Butabika Hospital At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- BNRH, . "Profile of Butabika National Referral Hospital". Butabika National Referral Hospital (BNRH). Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Mukisa, Farahani (16 September 2013). "Butabika Hospital Decries Shortage of Psychiatrists". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Lydia Lakwonyero, and Simon Longoli (8 June 2009). "Uganda Lacks Psychiatrists". New Vision. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.