National Food and Drug Authority
|Industry||Drug regulation and supervision|
|Headquarters||Rummee Towers, 9 Lumumba Aveue, Kampala, Uganda|
Secretary to the Authority
|Products||Pharmaceutical licenses,and drug regulation|
NDA was created by the Ugandan legislature in 1993. It began operations in 1994 as the National Drug Authority (NDA). At that time, the mission of the NDA was to regulate the manufacture, importation, and use of human and veterinary drugs in the country. In 2014, the Ugandan Cabinet approved plans to expand the NDA into the NFDA by adding food, food additives, food supplements, cosmetics, and commercial animal feeds to the items under the organization's supervision. The relevant laws transforming NDA into NFDA are before the Ugandan Parliament for promulgation.
The headquarters of the NDA was located at 46-48 Lumumba Avenue but has moved to Rummee Towers, in Kampala Central Division, on Nakasero Hill, in the central business district of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. The coordinates of the head office are 0°19'36.0"N, 32°34'32.0"E (Latitude:0.326667; Longitude:32.575556).
NDA maintains regional offices at the following locations:
As far back as 2010, elements of the Uganda government recognized the need to regulate food manufacture, importation, labeling, distribution, and marketing to reduce food and water-borne diseases in the country as well as to ensure food safety. Efforts to assign the regulatory function to the then existing NDA began then.
- Medard Bitekyerezo: Chairman
- Brigadier Ambrose Musinguzi
- Raymond Agaba
- Muhammad Mbabali
- Yahaya Hills Sekagya
- Fadhiru Kamba Pakoyo
- Hanifa Sengendo Namaala
- Sembatya Kimbowa
- Bildard Baguma
- Grace Nambatya Kyeyune
- Sylvia Angubua Baluka
- Rose Okurut Ademun
- Baterana Byarugaba
- Moses Kamabare
- Daniel Obua
- Morris Seru
- Grace Akullo.
- Economy of Uganda
- Quality Chemicals Limited
- Quality Chemical Industries Limited
- Uganda Revenue Authority
- Ainebyoona, Emmanuel (25 May 2018). "NDA warns public on antibiotic injection". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Nyangoma, Beatrice (6 January 2016). "Pharmacist Donna Kusemererwa Named NDA Executive Director". Kampala: Uganda Radio Network. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Ghana News Agency (3 October 2013). "Uganda To Under Study FDA". Government of Ghana (Ghana.Gov.Gh). Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- New Vision Supplement (January 2014). "National Drug Authority: Celebrating 20 Years of Service In the Drug Sector". New Vision Mobile. Kampala. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Walusimbi, Deo (23 July 2014). "Uganda: NDA Gets New Name". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Google (24 May 2018). "Location of National Drug Authority Headquarters, Kampala, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- NDA (2014). "National Drug Authority Contacts". National Drug Authority (NDA). Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Namagembe, Lilian (13 February 2017). "NDA to crack down on traders operating as pharmacists". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 25 May 2018.
- Ariko, Charles (6 May 2010). "NDA To Take On Food Monitoring". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- Barungi, Julian (8 December 2010). "Time To Review Food Safety Measures In Uganda". Kampala: Daily Monitor Mobile. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- National Dug Authority (31 January 2017). "National Drug Authority Board Members From January 2017". Kampala: National Food and Drug Authority. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Official website
- Uganda: Cabinet Broadens NDA's Mandate
- Experts Disagree On New Medicine, Food Authority
- NDA withdraws dangerous drugs, vaccines