Naguru General Hospital
|Naguru General Hospital|
|Uganda Ministry of Health and |
Kampala Capital City Authority
|Location||Naguru, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
Naguru General Hospital, also known as China-Uganda Friendship Hospital Naguru, is a hospital in Uganda. It is an urban, general hospital built between 2009 and 2012, at an estimated cost of approximately US$8 million (UGX:20 billion). The hospital was built by the Government of China, as a gift to the Government of Uganda. The hospital is on Naguru Road, on Naguru Hill, Nakawa Division, Kampala District, in Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. This location lies approximately 6.5 kilometres (4.0 mi), by road, east of the central business district of Kampala.
The Chinese government, designed and built the hospital as a gift to the people of Uganda, at a cost of US$8 million (UGX:20 billion). Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), donated the 5-acre (2.0 ha) site where the hospital was built. The government of Uganda contributed an estimated US$2 million (UGX:4.8 billion) in tax waivers on construction materials used to build the hospital, landscaping, road access and licensing fees.
The institution which was completed in December 2011, consists of seven buildings, four operating rooms, a maternity ward, a pediatric unit, a teenage center (adolescent health unit), a blood bank, radiology department (including a CT scanner) and housing for medical staff. The hospital was officially handed over to the Government of Uganda on 10 January 2012, to be jointly administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health and Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA).
The hospital is intended to serve, primarily the residents of (a) Nakawa Division (b) Kampala Metropolitan Area and (c) Other Ugandans. Naguru General Hospital is also meant to decongest Mulago National Referral Hospital, the only general public hospital serving an estimated 3 million inhabitants of the Kampala Metropolitan Area. Plans are underway by the Government of Uganda to construct a general hospital in each of the five divisions of Kampala, by 2016. In June 2014, construction of the hospital's staff quarters began in the Kireka neighborhood in Kira Municipality, Wakiso District, approximately 7 kilometres (4.3 mi), east of Naguru. The hospital employs 356 staff led by the Executive Director, Doctor Edward Naddumba.
- Uganda Hospitals
- Kawempe General Hospital
- Kiruddu General Hospital
- Mulago National Referral Hospital
- Kiwawulo, Chris (27 September 2009). "Naguru Hospital To Ease Congestion of Mulago". New Vision. Archived from the original on 8 January 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "Map Showing Central Kampala And Naguru With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Matovu, George (8 November 2011). "Nakawa-Naguru Hospital Ready by December". Uganda Radio Network (URN). Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Brian Ssenoga Kimuli, and Agatha Ayebazibwe (11 January 2012). "Row Brews Over New City Referral Hospital". Mobile Daily Monitor. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "Distance Between Kireka And Naguru With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Nabatanzi, Violet (30 June 2014). "Naguru Gets Sh1.5 Billion To Construct Staff Quarters". New Vision. Retrieved 30 June 2014.