List of free and open-source software packages
This is a list of free and open source software packages: computer software licensed under free software licenses and open source licenses. Software that fits the Free Software Definition may be more appropriately called free software; the GNU project in particular objects to their works being referred to as open source. For more information about the philosophical background for open source software, see free software movement and Open Source Initiative. However, nearly all software meeting the Free Software Definition also meets the Open Source Definition and vice versa. A small fraction of the software that meets either definition is listed here.
Some of the Open Source applications are also the basis of commercial products, shown in the List of commercial open-source applications and services.
- 1 Applied fields
- 1.1 Artificial intelligence
- 1.2 CAD
- 1.3 Computer simulation
- 1.4 Finance
- 1.5 Integrated Library Management Software
- 1.6 Image editor
- 1.7 Mathematics
- 1.8 Reference management software
- 1.9 Science
- 1.10 Risk Management
- 1.11 Statistics
- 1.12 Surveys
- 1.13 Quantum chemistry
- 2 Assistive technology
- 3 Data storage and management
- 4 Networking and Internet
- 4.1 Advertising
- 4.2 Communication-related
- 4.3 E-mail
- 4.4 File transfer
- 4.5 Instant messaging
- 4.6 IRC Clients
- 4.7 Middleware
- 4.8 RSS/Atom readers/aggregators
- 4.9 Peer-to-peer file sharing
- 4.10 Portal Server
- 4.11 Remote access and management
- 4.12 Routing software
- 4.13 Web browsers
- 4.14 Webcam
- 4.15 Webgrabber
- 4.16 Web-related
- 4.17 Other networking programs
- 5 Educational
- 6 File managers
- 7 Games
- 8 Genealogy
- 9 Graphical user interface
- 10 Groupware
- 11 Healthcare software
- 12 Media
- 12.1 2D animation
- 12.2 3D animation
- 12.3 Audio editors / audio management
- 12.4 CD/USB-writing software
- 12.5 Flash animation
- 12.6 Graphics
- 12.7 Image galleries
- 12.8 Image viewers
- 12.9 Multimedia codecs / containers / splitters
- 12.10 Television
- 12.11 Video converters
- 12.12 Video editing
- 12.13 Video encoders
- 12.14 Video players
- 12.15 Other media packages
- 13 Operating systems
- 14 Password management
- 15 Personal information managers
- 16 Programming language support
- 17 Screensavers
- 18 Security
- 19 Theology
- 20 Typesetting
- 21 See also
- 22 References
- 23 External links
- OpenCog A project that aims to build an artificial general intelligence (AGI) framework. OpenCog Prime is a specific set of interacting components designed to give rise to human-equivalent artificial general intelligence.
- Computer Vision
- Machine Learning
- TREX Reactive planning
- ROS Robot Operating System
Electronic design automation (EDA)
- Blender; 3D modeling software written in C, C++ and Python that can make animations and graphics for games
- SimPy; queue-theoretic event-based simulator written in Python
- flightgear is an open source flight simulator written for Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux.
- Adempiere — Enterprise resource planning(ERP) business suite
- Bitcoin — Peer to peer decentralised digital currency.
- Bonita Open Solution — Business Process Management
- CiviCRM - Constituent Relationship Management software aimed at NGO's
- Compiere — ERP solution automates accounting, supply chain, inventory and sales orders
- Cyclos — Software for microfinance institutions, complementary currency systems and timebanks
- Dolibarr — Web-based ERP system.
- Ebase — Constituent relationship management developed especially for non-profit organizations
- Frontaccounting — web-based Double-entry book-keeping and ERP system
- GnuCash — Double-entry book-keeping
- Grisbi — Single-entry
- HomeBank — for personal use
- JFire — An ERP Business Suite written with Java and JDO
- JGnash — Java-based, double-entry book-keeping
- JQuantLib — Java-based Quantitative Finance API framework for financial instrument valuation and more...
- KMyMoney — Double-entry book-keeping
- LedgerSMB — Double-entry book-keeping
- Mifos — Microfinance Institution management software
- Odoo — ERP, eCommerce, and CMS system
- OrangeHRM — Commercial Human Resource Management
- Postbooks — Integrated Accounting and ERP Business Suite
- QuickFIX — FIX protocol engine written in C++ with additional C#, Ruby, and Python wrappers
- QuickFIX/J — FIX protocol engine written in Java
- SQL Ledger — Double-entry book-keeping
- SugarCRM — Commercial Customer Relationship Management
- TurboCASH — Double-entry book-keeping for Windows
- vtiger CRM — Customer Relationship Management(CRM) software with Sales force automation, marketing management,Customer Service/Support,Inventory Management
- WebERP — Web-based ERP system
Integrated Library Management Software
- refbase — Web-based institutional repository and reference management software
- Darktable - Digital image workflow management, including RAW processing.
- digiKam - Integrated photography toolkit including editing capabilities.
- GIMP — GNU Image Manipulation Program
- Inkscape - An Open Source vector graphics editor.
Reference management software
Geographic Information Systems
- P-GRADE Portal — Grid portal software enabling the creation, execution and monitoring of workflows through high-level Web interfaces
Microscope image processing
- MeshLab, able to import PDB dataset and build up surfaces from them
- Ninithi — visualize and analyze the carbon allotropes such as Carbon nanotube, Fullerene, Graphene nanoribbons
- LimeSurvey — Online survey system
Speech (synthesis and recognition)
- CMU Sphinx — Speech recognition software from Carnegie Mellon University
- Emacspeak — Audio desktop
- ESpeak — compact software speech synthesizer for English and other languages
- Festival Speech Synthesis System
- Modular Audio Recognition Framework — voice, audio, speech NLP processing
- NonVisual Desktop Access — (NVDA) Screen reader for Windows
- Text2Speech — Lightweight and easy to use Text To Speech (TTS) Software
Other assistive technology
- Dasher — Unique text input software
- Gnopernicus — AT suite for GNOME 2
- Virtual Magnifying Glass — a multiplatform, screen magnification tool.
Data storage and management
Database management systems (including administration)
- Environment for DeveLoping KDD-Applications Supported by Index-Structures (ELKI) — data mining software framework written in Java with a focus on clustering and outlier detection methods.
- SCaViS — Java-based data analysis framework
- Konstanz Information Miner (KNIME)
- OpenNN — Open source neural networks software library written in the C++ programming language.
- Orange (software) — data visualization and data mining for novice and experts, through visual programming or Python scripting. Extensions for bioinformatics and text mining.
- RapidMiner — data mining software written in Java, fully integrating Weka, featuring 350+ operators for preprocessing, machine learning, visualization, etc.
- Scriptella ETL — ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) and script execution tool. Supports integration with J2EE and Spring. Provides connectors to CSV, LDAP, XML, JDBC/ODBC and other data sources.
- Weka — data mining software written in Java featuring machine learning operators for classification, regression, and clustering.
- JasperSoft — data mining with programmable abstraction layer.
Data Visualization Components
- ParaView plotting and visualization functions developed by Sandia National Laboratory, capable of massively parallel flow visualization utilizing multiple computer processors
- VTK is a toolkit for 3D computer graphics, image processing and visualization.
Digital Asset Management software
- OpenDAM, Free Open Source Digital Asset Management for enterprise content management integration, to manage image, pictures and video files.
Disk partitioning software
Enterprise search engines
ETLs (Extract Transform Load)
- OpenAFS — a distributed file system supporting a very wide variety of operating systems
- Tahoe-LAFS — a distributed file system/Cloud storage system with integrated privacy and security features
- CephFS — a distributed file system included in the Ceph storage platform.
Networking and Internet
- Asterisk — Telephony and VoIP server
- Ekiga — Video conferencing application for GNOME and Microsoft Windows
- FreePBX — Front-end and advanced PBX configuration for Asterisk
- FreeSWITCH — Telephony platform
- Jitsi — Java VoIP and Instant Messaging client
- QuteCom — Free Voice, Video and IM client application
- Enterprise Communications System sipXecs — SIP Communications Server
- Slrn — a newsreader
- Twinkle — VOIP softphone
- Apache Axis2 — Web service framework (implementations are available in both Java & C)
- Apache Geronimo
- Bonita Open Solution(software) — a J2EE web application and java BPMN2 compliant engine
- GlassFish Application Server
- Jakarta Tomcat — a servlet container and standalone webserver
- JBoss Application Server an application server
- ObjectWeb JOnAS — Java Open Application Server, a J2EE application server
- TAO (software) — C++ implementation of the OMG's CORBA standard
- Akregator — Platforms running KDE
- Liferea — Platforms running GNOME
- RSS Bandit — Windows - .NET
- RSSOwl — Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris, Linux - Java SWT Eclipse
- Sage (Mozilla Firefox extension)
Peer-to-peer file sharing
Remote access and management
- Apache Cocoon — a web application framework
- Apache — the most popular web server
- AWStats — a log file parser and analyzer
- BookmarkSync — a tool for browsers
- Cherokee — Speedy, feature rich HTTP Server
- curl-loader — a powerful HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/FTPS loading and testing open-source tool
- Hiawatha — Secure, high performance and easy-to-configure HTTP Server
- HTTP File Server — a user friendly file server software with a drag and drop interface
- lighttpd — Resource sparing but also fast and full featured HTTP Server
- Lucee — CFML Application Server
- nginx — lightweight, high performance web server/reverse proxy and e-mail (IMAP/POP3) proxy
- NetKernel — an internet application server
- Piwik — a web analytics system
- Qcodo — a PHP5 framework
- Squid (software) — web proxy cache
- XAMPP — a package of web applications including Apache and MySQL
- Zope — a web application server
Other networking programs
- JXplorer — a LDAP client
- OpenLDAP — a LDAP server
- openVXI — a VoiceXML interpreter
- YaCy — P2P-based search engine
- ATutor — a web-based Learning Content Management System (LCMS)
- Chamilo — a web-based e-learning and content management system
- eFront — an icon-based learning management system
- FlightPath - academic advising software for universities
- Gnaural — Brainwave entrainment software
- IUP Portfolio
- ILIAS — a web-based learning management system (LMS)
- openSIS — a web-based Student Information and School Management system
- Sakai Project — a web-based learning management system
- SWAD - a web-based learning management system
- Tux Paint — a paint application for 3–12 year olds
Other educational programs
Graphical user interface
Content management systems
Audio editors / audio management
Multimedia codecs / containers / splitters
- DVD Flick
- OpenShot Video Editor
- VideoLAN Movie Creator — VLMC is a non-linear editing software for video creation based on libVLC and running on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
Other media packages
Be advised that available distributions of these systems can contain, or offer to build and install, added software that is neither free software nor open source.
Emulation and Virtualisation
Personal information managers
- Chandler — developed by the OSAF.
- Mozilla Calendar — A Mozilla-based, multiplatform calendar program.
- Novell Evolution
- OpenSync (software)
- Project.net — Commercial Project Management
- TeamLab — Platform for project management and collaboration
Programming language support
- CodeSynthesis XSD — XML Data Binding compiler for C++
- CodeSynthesis XSD/e — Validating XML parser/serializer and C++ XML Data Binding generator for mobile and embedded systems
- Flex lexical analyser— generates lexical analyzers
- Open Scene Graph — 3D graphics application programming interface
- OpenSCDP — Open Smart Card Development Platform
- SableCC — parser generator for Java and .Net
- SWIG — Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator for several languages
- xmlbeansxx — XML Data Binding code generator for C++
- YAKINDU Statechart Tools statechart code generator for C++ and Java
- Doxygen : a tool for writing software reference documentation. The documentation is written within code.
- Mkd : The software documentation is extracted from the sources files, from pseudocode or comments.
- Natural Docs : claims to use a more natural language as input from the comments, hence its name.
Debuggers (for testing and trouble-shooting)
- GNU Debugger — "works for many programming languages [...]"
- Memtest86 — Stress-tests RAM on x86 machines
- Xnee — Record and replay tests
Integrated development environments
Version control systems
Data loss prevention
- Coyote Linux
Network and security monitoring
Secure Shell (ssh)
- Cyberduck — Mac OS X and Windows client (since version 4.0)
- Lsh — server and client (supporting SRP and Kerberos authentication)
- OpenSSH — client/server
- PuTTY — client only
Other security programs
Bible study tools
- BibleDesktop — For Cross-platform
- BibleTime — For Linux using KDE
- Go Bible — For Java Mobile Phones
- jSword — For Java
- MacSword — For Mac OS X
- Marcion — For Linux and Windows, using Qt UI Framework and embedded MySql server
- openlp.org — Worship presentation software for churches to display songs, bibles, movies etc.
- SwordBible — For Windows
- The SWORD Project for Windows — For Windows
- Xiphos The_SWORD_Project — For Linux using GNOME
- Richard Stallman (July 13, 2011). "Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software". Retrieved August 24, 2011.
||This section's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (February 2014)|
- Free Software Directory — The Free Software Directory of the Free Software Foundation.
- Open Source Software Directory — Provides a list of open source software organized by categories.
- Open Source Living — Open Source Living is a community-driven dynamic archive of Open Source software.
- Ohloh — Ohloh is an open source directory that anyone can edit.
- AlternativeTo - user-edited directory of alternatives to popular software - both open source and non-open-source. Alternatives are listed under the software they are considered an alternative to, rather than requiring the user to browse to a relevant category.
Open source for Windows
- List Of Open-source Programs (LOOP list) for Windows
- TheOpenDisc.com pre-assembled disc of OSS for Windows (successor to TheOpenCD.org)
- The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows