|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Ltd.|
Entities connected with:
|Actual use||Popular in Hong Kong|
|Registration restrictions||Second-level registrations open to all Generic '.hk' domain categories; Specific third-level registrations require identity documents depending on varying rules for each sector; DNSSEC is not available on most local registries.|
|Documents||Rules for .hk domains and subdomains|
|Dispute policies||Dispute resolution policy|
|TLD type||Internationalized country code top-level domain|
|Actual use||Used in Hong Kong|
.hk is the designated Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Hong Kong. Although Hong Kong is part of the People's Republic of China, the transitional "One Country, Two Systems" policy allows Hong Kong to retain a separate top-level domain distinct from the mainland .cn. Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation (HKIRC) is the only organization endorsed by the Hong Kong Government to undertake the administration of 'hk' domain names. Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation (HKIRC) is a non-profit making, non-statutory, member-based corporation established in 2001.
From its inception in 1990 until 2002, the domain was administered by the Joint University Computer Centre. In 2002, through a "Memorandum of Understanding" with the Hong Kong government, HKIRC took over the administration of '.hk', while the Hong Kong Domain Name Registration Corporation Limited (HKDNR), its wholly owned subsidiary of HKIRC, is responsible for the day-to-day management of the registration service  for Specific '.hk' Domain Names and Generic '.hk' Domain Name (e.g., www.myname.hk). '.hk' domain names can be registered at both the second and third level.
On June 25, 2010, ICANN approved the use of the internationalized country code top-level domain .香港 (hongkong in simplified Chinese characters and traditional Chinese characters; DNS name: .xn--j6w193g) by HKIRC. This TLD was added to the DNS in July 2010. The Pre Launch Priority Registration for .香港 was started on February 22, 2011. The first .香港 domain was activated on March 23, 2011. 香港 domain categories were opened for public registration since May 31, 2011.
A Chinese domain name must contain at least one Chinese character while English domain names must not contain any Chinese characters. All domain names could contain English letters, Arabic numerals (0-9) and hyphen.
|For English domain names||For Chinese domain names||Eligible applicant|
|.hk||.hk[note 1]||.香港||Local or overseas individuals or entities|
|.com.hk||.公司.hk[note 1]||.公司.香港||Commercial entities registered in Hong Kong|
|.org.hk||.組織.hk[note 1]||.組織.香港||Non-profit organisations registered or approved by the Hong Kong Government|
|.net.hk||.網絡.hk[note 1]||.網絡.香港||Network service providers with a licence from the Communications Authority|
|.edu.hk||.教育.hk[note 1]||.教育.香港||Educational institutions or registered schools in Hong Kong|
|.gov.hk||.政府.hk[note 1]||.政府.香港||Departments or Bureaux of the Hong Kong Government|
|.idv.hk||.個人.hk[note 1]||.個人.香港||HKID cardholders aged 11 or above|
As of December 06,2016.
- Hosting Speed
- 101 Domain
- Marcaria (company)
- United Domains
- The marked domain categories are not available for registration since mid January 2011. However, the registered domains in these categories can still be used and renewed.
- "Joint University Computer Centre". Jucc.edu.hk. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation Ltd". Hkirc.hk. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Hong Kong Domain Name Registration Corporation Limited". Hkdnr.hk. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "ICANN.org". ICANN.org. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Pre Launch Priority Registration Period Rules for .香港 Domain Names" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Pre-Launch Priority Registration of .香港 for Existing .hk Customers" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Domain Name Registration Policies, Procedures and Guidelines for .hk and .香港 domain names (V1.0)" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Accredited Registrars". Hong Kong Internet Registration Corporation.