|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||VCS (Pty) Limited|
|Sponsor||VCS (Pty) Limited|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Seychelles|
|Actual use||Used for a random assortment of sites, some related to Seychelles; was once marketed as domain for Scotland|
|Registration restrictions||Priority given to Seychelles-based entities; varying restrictions for different third-level registrations|
|Structure||Registrations are directly at second level or at third level beneath various second-level names|
.sc is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Seychelles. The TLD was marketed to businesses in Scotland and the U.S. state of South Carolina, however, the domains are subject to Seychelles registry rules. While SCregistrars, a company who marketed .sc domains to a target audience of Scottish sites, has since closed down the .sc extension remains available through the Afilias Global platform via various well-known registrars internationally for direct registration at second-level.
The domain has also been used for domain hacks, such as by the website SoundCloud (due to its initials "SC"). For example, "exit.sc" was a domain set up by SoundCloud for tracking traffic leaving its website.
- com.sc: commercial, for-profit organizations
- net.sc: network infrastructure machines and organizations
- edu.sc: educational institutions
- gov.sc: governmental institutions
- org.sc: miscellaneous, usually non-profit, organizations
Notes and references
- Nominet warns Scottish businesses of .sc domain names, Out-Law News, March 20, 2002