Jump to navigation Jump to search
|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||NIC.SH (run by Internet Computer Bureau)|
|Sponsor||Government of Saint Helena|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha|
|Actual use||Various uses; a few sites actually on Saint Helena but most elsewhere|
|Registration restrictions||2nd-level registrant must have professional or academic qualification (apparently not actually enforced); 3rd level registrant must be resident on Saint Helena|
|Structure||Registrations are taken directly at the second level or at third level beneath various 2nd-level labels|
|Documents||Terms & Conditions; Rules|
|Dispute policies||Dispute Resolution Policy|
.sh is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, British Overseas Territories. Registrations of internationalized domain names are also accepted.
Second level domains
There are seven second level domains:
- co.sh – commercial entities
- com.sh – commercial entities
- org.sh – non-profit organizations
- gov.sh – government departments and agencies
- edu.sh – educational institutions
- net.sh – network service providers
- nom.sh – non-island Internet sites
Top level domains
- A majority of sites under the .sh domain have nothing to do with Saint Helena, Ascension or Tristan da Cunha.
- Members of DeviantArt are able to go to their "stash," a service where digital media can be uploaded, stored and published. The DeviantArt "stash" uses the .sh top level domain "sta.sh".
- Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla use the .sh domain name to link to addresses on their Web site, Smosh.com from their YouTube channel, Smosh
- Since the .sh filename extension is also used by Unix shell scripts, this domain has been used for websites about command-line interface programs such as Homebrew.
- SH is the official abbreviation for the German federal state of Schleswig-Holstein and the .sh domain is used for sites like nah.sh, a public transportation site.
- The rhythm game osu! uses the .ppy.sh domain, such as osu.ppy.sh or new.ppy.sh 
- The main fork of the popular movie torrent freeware program Popcorn Time is hosted at a .sh domain. 
- There are more words ending in sh which are used for sh domains, such as flash, splash and fish.
- .SH IDN Policy Archived 2014-09-25 at the Wayback Machine., NIC, Saint Helena.
- "What is Sta.sh?". DeviantArt. DeviantArt. Retrieved 28 July 2013.
- "Smo.sh redirect". Smosh. Smosh.
- "Homebrew, The missing package manager for OS X". Homebrew. Homebrew. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "Nahverkehr im echten Norden » NAH.SH".
- "osu.ppy.sh". osu!.
- "Popcorn Time's best-known app comes back to life". 2016-02-26.
- "Popcorn Time Fork Claims Official Relaunch After MPAA Shutdown". 2016-02-25.