|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||Institute for Research in Fundamental Sciences|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Iran|
|Actual use||Popular in Iran|
|Registration restrictions||Generally open for Iranians and non-Iranians; 3rd-level registrations under subdomains have varied restrictions and are restricted to Iranian-related entities|
|Structure||May register at second level or at third level beneath generic-category 2nd level domains|
|Dispute policies||IRNIC Dispute Resolution Policy|
In 2014 a US court awarded a group of American and Israeli victims of Iranian terror the rights to the domain, along with Iran’s IP addresses being utilized by the Iranian government and its agencies.
- .ir – public
- .ac.ir – academic (tertiary education and research establishments) and learned societies.
- .co.ir – commercial/companies
- .gov.ir – government (Islamic Republic of Iran)
- .id.ir – personal, everyone has a National Number from Islamic Republic of Iran
- .net.ir – ISPs and network companies approved by IRTCT
- .org.ir – non-profit organisations
- .sch.ir – schools, primary and secondary education
The URL "ryana.ir" is a redirect to the budget airline website ryanair.com. It is used as a typing shortcut. Some internet users may mistakenly believe that .ir is the ccTLD for the Republic of Ireland, the home country of Ryanair (which is actually .ie).[original research?]
The URL "renmark.ir" is a redirect to the Investor Relations firm Renmark Financial Communications Inc. The .ir in this instance would stand for Investor Relations.
- .dnssec.ir – limited term testbed for DNSSEC support
- Shamah, David (June 24, 2014). "Israeli, US terror victims could 'own' Iran's Internet". The Times of Israel. Retrieved May 23, 2020.
- Levine, John R. (July 6, 2014). "Why Iran is not going to lose the .IR domain". Retrieved May 23, 2020.
- "Internationalized Domain Names at IRNIC". Archived from the original on 13 January 2009. Retrieved 19 January 2009.
- "IDN ccTLD Request From the Islamic Republic of Iran Successfully Passes String Evaluation". ICANN.org. ICANN. 2010-10-15. Retrieved 2013-10-26.
- IANA .ir whois information
- (in Persian) IRNIC, Dot-IR (.ir) ccTLD Registry
- (in Persian) List of Resellers of IRNIC
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Iran-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|