|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Serbia|
|Actual use||Mainly in Serbia|
|Registration restrictions||None at 2nd level, on 3rd level there are some restrictions depending on category|
|Documents||General Terms and Conditions for Registration|
|Dispute policies||Rulebook on Arbitrage Proceedings|
.rs is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Serbia. The domain name registry that operates it is the Serbian National Internet Domain Registry (RNIDS). The letters rs stand for Republika Srbija / Република Србија (Republic of Serbia).
It is intended to be used with few restrictions, and it is widely used in Serbia. Because of English words ending with the letters "rs", this domain is also used in the construction of domain hacks.
The .yu domain had been assigned to the former Serbia and Montenegro when it was still called the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. In June 2006, Serbia and Montenegro split into two separate countries. On 8 July 2006, the Serbian National Internet Domain Registry - RNIDS was founded by the Ministry of Science and a group of 34 organizations interested in the domain. On 26 September 2006, the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency decided to allocate RS as the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code for Serbia IANA assigned .rs as ccTLD for this country.
In 2007, ICANN also resolved that the former .yu domain is to be operated temporarily by RNIDS, the operators of the new .rs domain registry, until its eventual abolition on or before 30 September 2009. This allowed a two-year transition period for existing .yu names to be transferred either to .rs for Serbia or .me for Montenegro. Finally, the .yu domain expired on 30 March 2010.
- .co.rs – Corporations
- .org.rs – Civil organizations and associations
- .edu.rs – Educational institutions and organizations (except ac.rs sub-domain)
- .ac.rs – Academic and research network of Serbia (delegated)
- .gov.rs – Government institutions (delegated)
- .in.rs – Personal use
- .срб, a Cyrillic top-level domain for Serbia.
- For example, the blog hosting service www.blogge.rs
- "IANA .rs whois information". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Preliminary Report for Special Meeting of the ICANN Board of Directors". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "RNIDS news". RNIDS. Archived from the original on 1 February 2010. Retrieved 30 March 2010.