Gordon Institute of Business Science
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dean||Prof Nicola Kleyn|
|Location||South Africa Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa|
|Nickname||GIBS Business School|
|Affiliations||University of Pretoria|
Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS Business School) is a business school in South Africa and an affiliate of the University of Pretoria. It is located in the heart of Illovo, Johannesburg, close to the Sandton financial and commercial business hub. GIBS is accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and internationally by Association of MBAs (AMBA).
It is ranked as one of the best business schools in South Africa and the wider Africa, with flagship programmes that include the Masters in Business Administration (MBA), Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration (PDBA), Doctor of Business Administration (DBA/PHD). In 2012, the GIBS DBA became the first South African doctoral programme in business to receive international accreditation from AMBA. GIBS also offers Executive Programmes: short courses, executive level programmes like the Global Executive Development & General Management Programmes, company-specific programmes. Extended Programmes are longer certificate programmes and include the Social Entrepreneurship Programme, Leading Women Programme and Nexus Leadership Programme.
The Centre for Dynamic Markets
The Enterprise Development Academy
The Centre for Leadership & Dialogue
Business Analysis & Research
Personal & Applied Learning
History and campus
GIBS was established in January 2000 following a contribution by Sir Donald Gordon, the founder of Liberty Life and Liberty International, and a major investment by the University of Pretoria following discussions started in 1998. The business school follows on the university's Graduate School of Management's long tradition of MBA tuition. Founded in 1949, the GSM MBA was the first MBA programme to be launched outside of North America. The GSM as of January 2008 was formally replaced by the Gordon Institute of Business Science.
GIBS is situated in a greenfield campus in the Illovo Boulevard, mixed-use commercial node between the suburbs of Rosebank and Sandton in Johannesburg, with a satellite inner city campus on Pritchard Street. Accommodation is provided on the Illovo campus by the on campus Illovo Lodge. The Illovo campus is served by the Rosebank Gautrain station, with a nearby Gautrain bus stop and the inner city campus by the Johannesburg Park Station.
- Sir Donald Gordon
Sir Donald Gordon (born 24 June 1930) is a South African businessman and philanthropist. He was educated at King Edward VII School in Johannesburg before doing his articles to be a Chartered Accountant at the firm Kessel Feinstein (Now Grant Thornton). He founded the Liberty Life Association of Africa in 1957 out of which he formed Transatlantic Insurance Holdings plc, now Liberty International (Property portfolio of £6.2 billion (2009)) and Liberty Holdings Limited (Total assets of R449 billion (2011)). He was a co-founder of British company Abbey Life. In June 2005, he was awarded a British knighthood in recognition of his services to arts and business.
In 2011, an independent research survey by Magnet Communications of business school satisfaction levels among MBA students rated GIBS the top position in 7 out of 10 categories. In 2012, the Financial Times ranked the school 47 for Executive Education Open and 42 for Executive Education Customied, the highest in Africa. A 2011 PMR.Africa national survey of human resource directors/managers and line managers on accredited business schools gave GIBS a Diamond award and gave it the highest overall score in South Africa. Nick Binedell, the director of GIBS, won the Diamond Arrow Award for Individual in the Business School fraternity in South Africa doing most to enhance and develop the relevancy of business schools.
GIBS has consistently been ranked the top business school for executive education (open) in Africa, as well as being placed in the top 50 in the world. In 2012 the Financial Times ranked the GIBS Executive MBA 1st in Africa and 60th in the world.
|Financial Times World Ranking||2007||2008||2009||2010||2011||2012|
|Executive Education Customised||49||51||41||38||-||42|
|Executive Education Open||39||38||49||50||49||47|
- Affiliations and accreditations
GIBS is affiliated with South African Business Schools Association (SABSA), African Association of Business Schools (AABS), European Academy of Business in Society (EABIS) and Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME). GIBS is accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE) and internationally by AMBA
In 2015, the school had 25 permanent faculty members, 23 adjunct faculty members, 11 international faculty members, 8 extraordinary professors and 1 honorary professor (80% of faculty members hold a doctorate). Past and present faculty members include Gill Marcus (ninth Governor of the South African Reserve Bank) and Nick Binedell.
Company-specific programmes clients includes Standard Bank, Anglo American PLC, Barclays Africa, SABMiller, United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the South African National Treasury. The company-specific programmes have been delivered in 22 countries and include the certificates in Senior Management Development, Wealth Management, Middle Management Development Programme and Foundation Management Development Programme.
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/university-of-pretoria-gibs GIBS Retrieved October 1, 2011
- GIBS DBA degree gets full international accreditation Retrieved 21 August 2012 Archived 2 September 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- http://www.gibs.co.za Gordon Institute of Business Science Retrieved 15 September 2009
- The Gordon Institute of Business Science Archived 2009-09-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Retrieved 20 MArch 2010 Archived 9 August 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-08-09. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-12-15. Retrieved 2009-09-15. Gordon Institute of Business Science, Pretoria. Retrieved 15 September 2009
- About the Ilovo Boulevard Retrieved March 29, 2009
- Inner City Campus Retrieved May 13, 2011 Archived January 4, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Financial Inspiration Archived 2011-10-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- Donald Gordon: CV Archived 2011-10-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- Magnet MBA survey rates GIBS tops Retrieved 2 October 2011
- Retrieved 26 May 2010
- http://www.gibs.co.za/default.aspx?pid=63&oid=81&stepid=1&ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ctrlMainPortletContainer=itemid*397876$stepid*2842$iddef*920$idlangver*919$idlayout*919$idmode*2747$languageid*1$previousitemid*397876$ignoreloadedcontrols*True GIBS receives Diamond awards Retrieved 4 October 2011
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/university-of-pretoria-gibs GIBS Retrieved 26 February 2010
- http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/university-of-pretoria-gibs Retrieved 26 February 2010
- SABSA Members Directory Retrieved 7 August 2010
- AABS Member Schools Retrieved 7 August 2010
- EABIS Members Retrieved 7 August 2010
- PRME Academic Institutions Retrieved May 13, 2011
- Who we work with; Retrieved 2 October 2011