|Legal status||Non-profit organization|
|Purpose||ActionAid is a global movement of people working together to further human rights for all and defeat poverty|
|Africa, Asia, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, Americas|
ActionAid was founded in 1972 by Cecil Jackson-Cole as a child sponsorship charity (originally called Action in Distress) when 88 UK supporters sponsored 88 children in India and Kenya, the primary focus being on providing children with an education. Today its head office is located in South Africa with hubs in Asia, The Americas and Europe. The charity has received negative attention for its fundraising practices.
Charity Navigator recorded that in 2012 ActionAid USA had a high cost of fund raising (24%), with 53% of income spent on projects. This was also reported in an International Business Times article in October 2014, which noted that the "accounting processes the charity uses resulted in its administrative costs appearing to be 'particularly high' in the fiscal year ending 2012, the timeframe Charity Navigator relied on when calculating its current Charity Navigator score." Charity Navigator reports that for 2013 the cost of fundraising for ActionAid USA was much lower (9.4%), with 82.4% of income spent on projects.
ActionAid has been criticized for running misleading safety claims about genetically engineered crops in Africa, spreading unsupported claims regarding adverse affects of the consumption of some genetically modified crops, in particular, the unsupported claim of genetically engineered crops causing tumors and cancer. The organization has apologized for their actions since the publication of the actions in media.
- "Who we are - ActionAid".
- "'Ek Alag Mausam' based on AIDS". Smashits.com. Retrieved 2012-11-17.
- Connor Adams Sheets (10 October 2014). "Ebola Relief Charities: 5 Aid Groups To Avoid Donating To". International Business Times. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "ActionAid: The charity spreading 'groundless' fears over GM - World - News - The Independent". 25 March 2015.
- Ongu, Isaac (30 March 2015). "ActionAid in Africa ensnared by its own ugly GMO cancer scare tactics".
- Brown, Lalage. Preparing the Future-Women, Literacy, and Development. Web ActionAid, 1990. March 2012.
- Ahmed, F & Werker, E. What do Non-governmental Organizations Do? Web Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2007. March 2012
- ActionAid. End Poverty Together. Web. March 2012
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. ActionAid (South Africa). Web 2012. March 2012