|Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu|
|Minister of Railways|
9 November 2014
|Prime Minister||Narendra Modi|
|Preceded by||D. V. Sadananda Gowda|
|Member of the Indian Parliament
|Preceded by||Sudhir Sawant|
|Succeeded by||Constituency abolished|
11 July 1953 |
|Political party||Bharatiya Janata Party (2014–present)|
|Shiv Sena (before 2014)|
|As of September 16, 2006|
Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu (born 11 July 1953) is an Indian politician and the current Railway Minister of India, under the Narendra Modi government. He is a Chartered Accountant by profession and a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. Since 1996, Prabhu has been a repeatedly elected Member of Parliament from Rajapur Lok Sabha constituency in Maharashtra as a member of the Shiv Sena (SS) political party. He quit Shiv Sena and joined BJP on 9 November 2014. He presently represents Haryana in Upper House of Indian Parliament.
Suresh Prabhu completed his high school from Sharadashram Vidya Mandir, Dadar, Mumbai, followed by a Bachelor in Commerce with Honours from M.L. Dahanukar College, Vile Parle, Mumbai. He received a Bachelor in Law degree from the New Law College (Ruparel College campus), Mumbai. Prabhu is a Chartered Accountant and a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. He was All India 11th (eleventh) rank holder in CA exam. He is working on his Ph.D. in Climate Change from Frei University Berlin and Public Finance from Mumbai University.
Prabhu has held several government and semi government positions, which includes chairmanship of Maharashtra State Finance Commission, Saraswat Co-operative Bank, Member of the Maharashtra Tourism Development Board, among others. Prabhu has travelled to more than 100 countries. He is working on 16 global organizations and 9 strategic dialogues.
- "Students' Unrest" at Bajaj Institute of Management, Mumbai
- "Causes and Consequences of Mass Unemployment of Youths"at the Central Committee for International Voluntary Services (CCIVS), UNESCO, Paris
- "Problems of Youth in Third World Countries"at CCIVS, Monrovia (Liberia)
- "North-South Co-operation",paper read at an international seminar at New Delhi on behalf of Bharat Sevak Samaj
- "Contribution of NGO's Towards Peace" -Asian Youth Seminar, New Delhi
- Has published several columns on finance and economy in the daily "Mid Day" as well as articles in leading Marathi dailies
- He has written extensively on socio-economic issues 
He was, at various times during the Premiership of Atal Bihari Vajpayee of 1998 to 2004, Industry Minister, Minister of Environment and Forests, Minister of Fertilizers & Chemicals, Power, Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises. As the Union Minister for Power he won praise for his performance. As Minister of Power, Prabhu introduced major reforms in India's power sector. He is credited with championing and enacting the Electricity Act of 2003 and the reforms that created securitization of dues from the states. He has been elected four times to the Lok Sabha, India's parliament, from Maharashtra since 1996. However, he lost his seat in the 2009 general election.
He was also Chairman of Task Force for Interlinking of Rivers with a status and rank of Union Cabinet Minister. He was elected a member of the World Bank parliamentary network and chaired the South Asia Water regional group of the World Bank.
Asiaweek rated him as one of three future leaders of India. As a mark of protest against the cancellation of Narendra Modi's keynote address at the Wharton India Economic Forum 2013, he called off his visit to the University. The NDA government under the leadership of Narendra Modi appointed him as the head of a high-level panel on power revamp — “Advisory Group for Integrated Development of Power, Coal and Renewable Energy” in July 2014.
On 9 November 2014, he was sworn-in as Cabinet minister in Narendra Modi government. He is currently the Union Railway Minister of India.
He is closely associated with Parliamentary Committees 
He is the only Railway Minister who introduced railway budget without launching a single train and more focused on facilities during fiscal year 2015-2016
He runs an NGO - Manav Sadhan Vikas Sanstha which is working towards empowerment of people. A public charitable trust formed in 1998, MSVS seeks to bring about a holistic development of communities through proactive participation of both governmental and non-governmental stakeholders. It helps integrates economic, social, physical, ecological, intellectual and spiritual aspects in its developmental strategy in a holistic manner, thereby providing a greater meaning to the life of the members of society. he is currently holding below positions as a part of social work - 
- Advisory Board member of Eco Needs Foundation.
He is married to journalist Uma Prabhu; they have a son, Ameya Prabhu. Suresh Prabhu currently resides in Delhi and is a native of Mumbai.
- Portfolios of the Union Council of Ministers Prime Minister's Office, Government of India
- Suresh Prabhu returns to the Cabinet Indian Express (November 9, 2014)
- Suresh Prabhu Biodata India, Accessed on November 10, 2014
- Suresh Prabhu
- About me
- Narendra Modi finds a reform partner in Suresh Prabhu LiveMint (November 9, 2014)
- Annual Conference of the Parliamentary Network of World Bank Cape Town, The World Bank (2007)
- "Executive briefing - Suresh Prabhu". August 30, 2000. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "Suresh Prabhu to head panel on power". July 2, 2014.
- Suresh Prabhu says PM wants condition of railways to change, Parrikar seeks time to get going The Times of India (November 10, 2014)
- Association With Parliamentary Committees
- Social work
|Member of Parliament
Constituency merged into
Nilesh Narayan Rane
D. V. Sadananda Gowda
|Minister of Railways