Apple Leisure Group
|Privately held company|
|Industry||Hospitality, Travel, Tourism|
|Alejandro Zozaya (CEO ) |
Javier Coll (Executive VP)
Jeff Mullen (COO)
John Hutchinson (CFO)
Number of employees
Apple Leisure Group (ALG) is a vertically-integrated American travel and hospitality conglomerate focused on packaged travel and resort/brand management in Mexico and the Caribbean. It is the parent company of resort and brand management company AMResorts and its loyalty program, Unlimited Vacation Club. ALG also oversees tour operators Apple Vacations and Travel Impressions, online travel agency CheapCaribbean.com, as well as destination management company AMStar DMC. Its headquarters are in Newtown, Pennsylvania.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Apple Vacations was founded in 1969 by John Mullen and his brother-in-law, Al Atkinson, as Atkinson & Mullen Travel. Mullen later became the sole proprietor and renamed the company Apple Vacations.
In 2001, ALG CEO Alejandro Zozaya, son-in-law of John Mullen, founded resort sales, marketing, and brand management company AMResorts. Over a decade later, he led the effort to form Apple Leisure Group by making tour operator Apple Vacations a sister company of AMResorts. ALG received an influx of equity in late 2012 when it sold an undisclosed stake in its business to Boston-based global private equity firm Bain Capital. In 2013, Apple Leisure Group expanded with the acquisition of B2B tour operator Travel Impressions from American Express, of online leisure wholesaler CheapCaribbean.com, of destination management company Amstar DMC, and of AMResorts’ guest loyalty program, Unlimited Vacation Club.
In early 2017 Bain Capital sold its interest in Apple Leisure Group to private equity companies KSL Capital Partners and KKR for an undisclosed price. In May 2018 Apple Leisure Group merged with The Mark Travel Corporation and its associated brands Funjet Vacations and Trisept Solutions under the Apple Leisure Group name.
Founded in 2001 by Alejandro Zozaya, AMResorts operates all-inclusive beachfront resorts under 8 different brands in Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Costa Rica, Curacao and Panama. The brands managed are:
- Zoetry Wellness & Spas Resorts
- Secrets Resorts & Spas
- Breathless Resorts & Spas
- Dreams Resorts & Spas
- Now Resorts & Spas
- Reflect Resorts & Spas
- Alua Hotels & Resorts
- Sunscape Resorts & Spas
AMResorts have said that, by the end of 2019, they expect to operate at least 66 resorts in 28 destinations and 7 countries.
In 1969, John Mullen and his brother-in-law, Al Atkinson, founded a small travel company called Atkinson & Mullen Travel. Mullen later renamed the company Apple Vacations as he became the sole proprietor and expanded the business through charter travel packages, first for affinity groups and then for consumers after regulations were loosened to permit it.
In 1967, Arnold Tolkin purchased a travel agency called ATS. Seven years later, Tolkin formed a group incentive and convention travel company out of ATS and named it Travel Impressions. In 1998, the Tolkin family, along with partner Ira Theodore, sold the tour operator to American Express. In April 2013, American Express and ALG announced an agreement under which ALG would acquire Travel Impressions and American Express’ international tour operator American Express Vacations International (AEVI). In the agreement, Travel Impressions would become the exclusive marketer and operator of American Express Vacations.
Founded by Jim Hobbs and established in 2000, CheapCaribbean.com is an e-commerce vacation company providing last-minute deals on beach travel to the Caribbean and Mexico. In August 2013, CheapCaribbean.com was acquired by Apple Leisure Group. The company continues to operate as a separate, wholly owned entity, with offices in Dallas, Phoenix, and Philadelphia. It was named one of Inc.'s "Top 5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies in America" in 2013.
Amstar DMC has provided destination solutions and excursions in Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic since 1989. Its corporate headquarters are located in Cancún and Punta Cana. In 2008, Amstar became the first Mexican destination management company to open a representation office in Shanghai, China. Five years later, an office was officially opened in Hawaii through Amstar's sister company, Worldstar. In 2014, it commenced operation in Costa Rica.
Unlimited Vacation Club
The Unlimited Vacation Club is a guest loyalty program operated by AMResorts, founded in 2010. Members are granted access to benefits including preferred rates at AMResorts-managed properties in Mexico and the Caribbean.
- "Apple Vacations". Apple Leisure Group. Archived from the original on March 20, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Main page". Apple Leisure Group. Archived from the original on May 16, 2014. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "Apple Leisure Group". Hispanic Executive. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- "Apple Leisure Group". Investments. Bain Capital Private Equity. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Cogswell, David (September 9, 2014) [April 10, 2013]. "Apple Leisure Group Buys Travel Impressions in Blockbuster Wholesaler Deal". Travel Pulse. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- "Apple Leisure Group Sells Undisclosed Stake to Bain Capital". Travel Pulse. January 9, 2013 [January 5, 2013]. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- Shillinglaw, James (March 31, 2014) [September 2, 2013]. "Apple Leisure Group Buys CheapCaribbean.com Vacation Booking Website". Travel Pulse.
- King, Danny (December 13, 2016). "Apple Leisure Group sold". Travel Weekly. Retrieved February 18, 2018.
- Baran, Michelle (May 2, 2018). "Apple Leisure-Mark Travel merger completed". Travel Weekly.
- "AMResorts Development Chart". AMResorts Media Site. July 11, 2016. Retrieved July 11, 2016.
- "Year end 2019 - per destination" (PDF). AMResorts.
- "About Us". CheapCaribbean.com.
- "About Us". Amstar DMC.
- "Club Overview". Unlimited Vacation Club.