|Headquarters||San Diego, California|
Victor L. Lund, President and CEO|
Kenneth Simonds, Former Chief Executive
|Products||Integrated Data Warehouse Hardware and Software, Unified Data Architecture, Big Data Analytics, Professional Services, Customer Services|
|Revenue||US$2.3 billion (2016)|
|$125 million (2016)|
|$112 million (2016)/>|
Number of employees
Teradata Corporation is a provider of database and analytics-related products and services. The company was formed in 1979 in Brentwood, California, as a collaboration between researchers at Caltech and Citibank's advanced technology group. The company was acquired by NCR Corporation in 1991, and subsequently spun-off again as an independent public company on October 1, 2007.
Teradata is an enterprise software company that develops and sells database analytics software. The company provides three main services: business analytics, cloud products, and consulting. It operates in North and Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
Teradata is headquartered in San Diego, California, and has additional major U.S. locations in Atlanta and San Francisco, where its data center research and development is housed. It is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol TDC. Victor Lund has served as the company's president and chief executive officer since 2016. The company reported $2.3 billion in revenue, with a net income of $112 million, and 10,093 employees globally, as of December 31, 2016.
|Acquisitions and divestitures, 1979–2017.|
The concept of Teradata grew from research at California Institute of Technology and from the discussions of Citibank's advanced technology group in the 1970s. In 1979, the company was incorporated in Brentwood, California by Jack E. Shemer, Philip M. Neches, Walter E. Muir, Jerold R. Modes, William P. Worth, Carroll Reed and David Hartke. Teradata released its DBC/1012 specialized database computer in 1984. In 1990, the company acquired Sharebase, originally named Britton Lee. In September 1991, AT&T Corporation acquired NCR Corporation, which announced the acquisition of Teradata for about $250 million in December. Teradata built the first system, over 1 terabyte, for Wal-Mart in 1992.
NCR acquired Strategic Technologies & Systems in 1999, and appointed Stephen Brobst as chief technology officer of Teradata Solutions Group. In 2000, NCR acquired Ceres Integrated Solutions and its customer relationship management software for $90 million, as well as Stirling Douglas Group and its demand chain management software. Teradata acquired financial management software from DecisionPoint in 2005. In January 2007, NCR announced Teradata would become an independent public company, led by Michael F. Koehler. The new company's shares started trading in October.
Acquisitions and divestitures
Teradata has acquired several companies since becoming an independent public company in 2008. In March 2008, Teradata acquired professional services company Claraview, which previously had spun out software provider Clarabridge. Teradata acquired column-oriented DBMS vendor Kickfire in August 2010, followed by the marketing software company Aprimo for about $550 million in December. In March 2011, the company acquired Aster Data Systems for about $263 million. Teradata acquired email direct marketing company eCircle in May 2012, which was merged into the Aprimo business.
In 2014, Teradata acquired the assets of Revelytix, a provider of information management products and for a reported $50 million. In September, Teradata acquired Hadoop service firm Think Big Analytics. In December, Teradata acquired RainStor, a company specializing in online data archiving on Hadoop. Teradata acquired Appoxxee, a mobile marketing software as a service provider, for about $20 million in January 2015, followed by the Netherlands-based digital marketing company FLXone in September.
In July 2016, the marketing applications division, using the Aprimo brand, was sold to private equity firm Marlin Equity Partners for about $90 million. Aprimo moved its headquarters to Chicago and is now led by CEO John Stammen. Marlin immediately bought Revenew Inc., which offers through-channel marketing automation software, and merged it into the Aprimo business. In March 2017, Aprimo bought Belgium-based ADAM Software, which offered Digital Asset Management solutions . Teradata acquired Big Data Partnership, a service company based in the UK, on July 21, 2016. In July 2017, Teradata acquired StackIQ, maker of the Stacki software.
Technology and products
Teradata offers three main services to its customers: cloud and hardware-based data warehousing, business analytics, and consulting services. In September 2016, the company launched Teradata Everywhere, which allows users to submit queries against public and private databases. The service uses massively parallel processing across both its physical data warehouse and cloud storage, including managed environments such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, VMware, and Teradata's Managed Cloud and IntelliFlex. Teradata offers customers both hybrid cloud and multi-cloud storage. In March 2017, Teradata introduced Teradata IntelliCloud, a secure managed cloud for data and analytic software as a service. IntelliCloud is compatible with Teradata's data warehouse platform, IntelliFlex. The Teradata Analytics Platform was unveiled in 2017.
Teradata Geospatial is a collection of geospatial analysis components which are integrated into the Teradata Database. Teradata geospatial allows storage and spatial analysis on location-based data which is stored using native geospatial data-types within the Teradata database.  The Teradata database implements the SQL/MM standard for geospatial implementation within a RDBMS.  The geospatial capabilities allow for business intelligence with an added new dimenstion of geospatial location based on longitude/latitude coordinates.
Teradata Parallel Transporter
Teradata Parallel Transporter (TPT) is a data loading utility sold by Teradata, typically used in data warehousing. It combines the functionality of Teradata FastLoad, MultiLoad, FastExport, and TPump.
TPT is a parallel load environment, which provides access to data sources from a single interface using a single SQL-like scripting language and from a published application programming interface (API). Multiple files can be loaded using a single script. The utility allows load balancing of the workload across multiple CPUs, which is designed to reduce bottlenecks in the data loading process.
Each user can create a job (that is, a string of TPT commands) that allows them to perform operations, such as heterogeneous data access, data integrity checks, data merging, and data loads in batch or interactive.
It was designed to use the different Teradata data loading and unloading utilities under a single infrastructure. Based on the protocols of fastload, multiload, tpump and fastexport, new "operators" were developed called Load, Update, Stream and Export respectively. Other operators include Selector, Inserter, Dataconnector, and ODBC.
Teradata Warehouse Miner
Teradata Warehouse Miner (TWM) is a software application provided by Teradata for achieving data mining inside RDBMS databases without the need for migrating the data from the data warehouse. TWM is bundled with multiple statistical and machine learning algorithms for analyzing data and creating data mining models. The whole data mining process, e.g. CRISP-DM process, is supported using TWM which includes: descriptive statists and analysis, analytic data set creation, data mining model creation and data mining model scoring. This facilitates Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD) which provides business intelligence for organisations.
Supported data analysis & data mining algorithms
- Descriptive Statistics
- Data Transformation & Data Reduction
- Variable creation
- Variable transformation
- Data reduction matricies
- Analytic Data Set creation
- Statistical Tests
- Data Mining
Teradata began to market with the term "big data" in 2010. CTO Stephen Brobst attributed the rise of big data to "new media sources, such as social media." The increase in semi-structured and unstructured data gathered from online interactions prompted Teradata to form the "Petabyte club" in 2011 for its heaviest big data users.
The rise of big data resulted in many traditional data warehousing companies updating their products and technology. For Teradata, big data prompted the acquisition of Aster Data Systems in 2011 for the company’s MapReduce capabilities and ability to store and analyze semi-structured data.
- "For 10-K: Annual Report for the Fiscal Year Ending December 31, 2016". February 27, 2017. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- "The History of Teradata". Teradata.com. Teradata. Retrieved 2016-10-28.
- Abrar, Peerzada (November 23, 2017). "Teradata to help Rajasthan Govt. on citizen services". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. OCLC 13119119. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- Freeman, Mike (July 14, 2017). "San Diego data center tech start-up StackIQ acquired by Teradata". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Tronc. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- Macaulay, Tom (October 24, 2017). "How Teradata aims to unify customers' analytics under new data platform". Computerworld. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- Backaitis, Virginia (September 13, 2016). "Teradata Promises to Better Serve its Customers #TDPARTNERS16". CMS Wire. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- "The World's Biggest Public Companies: #1,982 Teradata". Forbes. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- "NCR Completes Teradata Spin Off" (Press release). NCR. October 1, 2007. Archived from the original on October 18, 2007.
- "Brief: Teradata names Victor Lund CEO". Reuters. May 5, 2016. Retrieved December 7, 2017.
- Bigelow, Bruce V. (July 13, 2017). "Teradata Acquires San Diego's StackIQ to Strengthen Cloud Business". Xconomy. Retrieved September 10, 2017.
- O'Hear, Steve (July 25, 2016). "Big data company Teradata acquires UK's Big Data Partnership". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Nelson, Jess (October 19, 2015). "Teradata Updates Marketing Cloud; Acquires DMP FLXone". Email Marketing Daily. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Lunden, Ingrid (January 3, 2015). "Teradata Buys App Marketing Platform Appoxee for $20-25M, Sets Up Israeli R&D Center". TechCrunch. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Deutscher, Maria (December 17, 2014). "Teradata acquires RainStor to super-charge Hadoop archiving". Silicon Angle. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Kanaracus, Chris (July 22, 2014). "Teradata acquires assets of Hadapt, Revelytix for big data". PC World. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Keohane, Dennis (July 16, 2014). "Hadapt acquired by Teradata, will lead to more employees in Boston". The Boston Globe. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Natalie Gagliordi (September 28, 2015). "Facebook and Teradata on Apache Presto and the disruption of open source". ZDNet. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Henschen, Doug (September 3, 2014). "Teradata Buys Think Big for Big Data Consulting". Information Week. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Henschen, Doug (May 2, 2012). "Teradata Acquires eCircle for Social, Mobile Marketing Push". InformationWeek. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- Morgan, Timothy Prickett (March 3, 2011). "Teradata snaps up Aster Data for $263m". The Register. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Vizard, Mike (September 22, 2011). "Diversity Comes to Data Management". IT Business Edge. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Prickett Morgan, Timothy (December 22, 2010). "Teradata eats Aprimo for $550m". The Register. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Henschen, Doug (April 9, 2011). "IT and Marketing: How Digital Media's Changing the Relationship". InformationWeek. Archived from the original on April 11, 2011. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Kanaracus, Chris (August 10, 2010). "Teradata buys analytics vendor Kickfire". InfoWorld. ISSN 0199-6649. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Kanaracus, Chris (August 10, 2010). "Teradata quietly scoops up Kickfire". Computerworld. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Grimes, Seth (March 20, 2008). "Teradata has Acquired BI/DW Firm Claraview". InformationWeek. Archived from the original on October 8, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- "Company Overview of DecisionPoint Applications, Inc". Bloomberg.com. Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Company News; NCR Acquires Ceres Integrated in a $90 Million Deal". The New York Times. April 12, 2000. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "NCR Completes Acquisition of Sterling Douglas Group". Press release. NCR. July 14, 2000. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Jean S. Bozman (May 7, 1990). "Teradata rides shifting winds". Computer World. Retrieved March 17, 2017.
- Andrews, Edmund (January 11, 1996). "AT&T Acquisition, Soon to be Spun Off, Regains NCR Name". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. OCLC 1645522. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "NCR, Teradata to split up". CNNMoney. Time Warner. January 8, 2007. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- Hagerty, John (January 9, 2007). "NCR to Spinoff Teradata". Forbes. ISSN 0015-6914. Retrieved March 15, 2017.
- "Teradata Milestones". Teradata. Archived from the original on February 8, 2005. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- Gillin, Paul (February 20, 1984). "Will Teradata revive a market?". Computerworld: 43, 48. ISSN 0010-4841. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- Pereira, Brian (January 1, 2010). "Marrying Strategic Intelligence with Operational Intelligence". InformationWeek. ISSN 8750-6874. Archived from the original on June 13, 2012. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Bozman, Jean S. (May 7, 1990). "Teradata rides shifting winds". Computerworld. Retrieved March 17, 2017.
- Hubler, David (December 13, 2010). "Teradata sees revenue growth in data consolidation". Washington Technology. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- McKenna, Brian (April 18, 2016). "Teradata Universe 2016: MPP architecture recast as 'Intelliflex'". Computer Weekly. Retrieved March 30, 2017.
- "Brief: Teradata names Victor Lund CEO". Reuters. May 5, 2016. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- Gnau, Thomas (May 5, 2016). "Teradata names new CEO". Dayton Daily News. ISSN 0897-0920. OCLC 232118157. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- Council, Jared (July 20, 2016). "Aprimo getting new life under new ownership, old name". Indianapolis Business Journal. ISSN 0274-4929. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Council, Jared (April 26, 2016). "Teradata selling Aprimo unit at $435M discount". Indianapolis Business Journal. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- Twig, Tara (July 20, 2016) "Stammen Named CEO of Aprimo" Inside Indiana Business. Retrieved August 31, 2018http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/32487896/john-stammen-named-ceo-of-aprimo-chicago
- "Marlin buys Revenew Inc - PE Hub". PE Hub. 2016-07-21. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Aprimo acquires Belgium-based ADAM Software". Retrieved 2018-09-05.
- Pereira, Brian (April 19, 2017). "Teradata puts the swagger back in its step". BW CIO. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- "Teradata Targets Hybrid Cloud Environments with Teradata Everywhere and Borderless Analytics". Database Trends and Applications. September 12, 2016. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Henschen, Doug (September 20, 2016). "Teradata amps up cloud and consulting offerings". ZDNet. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Henschen, Doug (June 22, 2016). "Teradata attempts to disrupts itself with cloud push". ZDNet. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- "Teradata notes that in briefings, customers consistently affirm continuing loyalty". Dataquest. New Delhi. March 24, 2017. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Carey, Scott (24 November 2017). "Here are the best self-serve analytics platforms for your business, from Qlik to Tableau". ComputerworldUK.
- Aug 3, 2009. , Teradata 13 Focuses on Speed, Geospatial Data at PCWorld magazine
- , Teradata has added geospatial support closely following the SQLMM standard from geoserver
- , KDNuggets, Teradata Warehouse Miner 5.1 Enables Businesses to Predict the Future, retrieved on 01 June 2011
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-01-24. Retrieved 2011-06-01. , CRISP-DM Project Partners
- , Teradata Warehouse Miner User Guide from Teradata
- , Teradata Warehouse Miner overview
- Salah-Ahmed, Amira (May 4, 2011). "One-on-One with Teradata's CTO Stephen Brobst". The Daily Egypt News. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Grant, Ian (April 11, 2011). "Big data boosts Teradata growth". Computer Weekly. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Miniman, Stuart (March 28, 2011). "The Emerging Big Data Vendor Ecosystem". Wikibon. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- Kanaracus, Chris (March 3, 2011). "Teradata Buys Aster Data, Boosts "Big Data" Wares". CIO. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
Media related to Teradata at Wikimedia Commons