Top Gun: Maverick
|Top Gun: Maverick|
|Directed by||Joseph Kosinski|
by Jim Cash
and Jack Epps Jr.
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Top Gun: Maverick is an upcoming American military action drama film directed by Joseph Kosinski with a screenplay written by Peter Craig, Justin Marks, Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz. It is the sequel to Top Gun (1986), intended to be the second installment in the Top Gun film series, and stars Tom Cruise, Miles Teller, Val Kilmer, Jennifer Connelly, Glen Powell, Jon Hamm and Ed Harris among others. It will be released on June 26, 2020 by Paramount Pictures.
- Tom Cruise as Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, a flight instructor
- Miles Teller as Bradley Bradshaw, a pilot trainee, and the son of Maverick's late partner Nick "Goose" Bradshaw
- Val Kilmer as Commander Tom "Iceman" Kazansky
- Jennifer Connelly
- Glen Powell
- Jon Hamm
- Ed Harris
- Monica Barbaro
- Thomasin McKenzie
- Charles Parnell
- Jay Ellis as a pilot trainee
- Bashir Salahuddin
- Danny Ramirez as a pilot trainee
- Lewis Pullman
- Kara Wang
- Manny Jacinto as Fritz, a pilot
Development of the film began in 2010 when Paramount Pictures made offers to Jerry Bruckheimer and Tony Scott to make a sequel to Top Gun. Christopher McQuarrie had also received an offer to write the sequel's screenplay, which was rumored to have Cruise's character Maverick in a smaller role. Ultimately, Peter Craig, Justin Marks, who described the film as a dream project, Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz would be credited as screenwriters on the project.
When asked about his idea for a new Top Gun film, Scott replied, "This world fascinated me, because it's so different from what it was originally. But I don't want to do a remake. I don't want to do a reinvention. I want to do a new movie." The film will reportedly focus on the end of the dog fighting era and the role of drones in modern aerial warfare and that Cruise's character, Maverick, will fly an F/A-18 Super Hornet.
In June 2017, Cruise revealed that the title would be Top Gun: Maverick, with Harold Faltermeyer returning as composer for the sequel. Cruise further stated that, “Aviators are back, the need for speed. We’re going to have big, fast machines. It’s going to be a competition film, like the first one…but a progression for Maverick.” Later the same month, it was confirmed that the film would be directed by Joseph Kosinski, while no title was officially confirmed.
In July 2018, Miles Teller was cast in the role of Goose’s son, beating out the likes of Nicholas Hoult and Glen Powell. All three were flown to the home of Tom Cruise, the star of the film, for chemistry tests. Later that month, Jennifer Connelly joined the film's cast to play a single mother, running a local bar near the Navy base. In August 2018, Powell joined the cast of the film in a pilot trainee role beefed up for him, having impressed star Tom Cruise, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, as well as executives at Paramount Pictures and Skydance, with his auditions. That same month, Monica Barbaro, Thomasin McKenzie, Charles Parnell, Jay Ellis, Bashir Salahuddin, Danny Ramirez, Ed Harris, Jon Hamm and Lewis Pullman joined the cast of the film with Barbaro, Ellis, and Ramirez portraying pilot trainees and McKenzie portraying Connelly’s daughter. In September 2018, Manny Jacinto joined the cast of the film. In October 2018, Kara Wang, Jack Schumacher, Greg Tarzan Davis, Jake Picking, Raymond Lee, Jean Louisa Kelly and Lyliana Wray joined the cast of the film.
Preliminary production on the film officially started on May 30, 2018 in San Diego, California. During late August a 15-person film crew from Paramount and Bruckheimer Films were aboard the Norfolk-based aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln to shoot flight deck operations.
- Mitchell, Robert (31 May 2018). "Tom Cruise Shares First Look Photo as 'Top Gun 2' Begins Production". Variety.
- "'Top Gun: Maverick' Will Indeed Have Oscar-Winning Cinematographer Claudio Miranda". Omega Underground. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Film and Television Tax Credit Program Program 2.0 (PDF) (Report). California Film Commission. p. 9. Retrieved October 4, 2018.
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (October 13, 2010). "Top Gun 2 is Heading to the Runway". New York magazine. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- Fritz, Ben (August 20, 2012). "Tony Scott dead: Director was set for 'Top Gun 2'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- Zumberge, Marianne (June 26, 2015). "'Top Gun 2′ to Feature Maverick, Drone Warfare". Variety. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- McKittrick, Christopher (April 19, 2016). "King of the Swingers: Justin Marks on 'The Jungle Book'". Creative Screenwriting. Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- Chitwood, Adam (October 14, 2011). "Thor Scribes Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz Set to Pen Top Gun 2". Collider. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- Ellwood, Gregory (October 24, 2010). "Exclusive: Tony Scott Doesn't Want a Remake or Reinvention for Top Gun 2". HitFix. Retrieved October 26, 2010.
- Rich, Gillian (31 May 2018). "Boeing Super Hornet Appears To Be In 'Top Gun' Sequel Not Lockheed F-35". Investor's Business Daily. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "'Top Gun' producer Jerry Bruckheimer reveals how he won over Tom Cruise". Yahoo!. January 23, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- "Jerry Bruckheimer says Top Gun 2 is still on the cards". Flickering Myth. June 10, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- In Which Tom Cruise Reveals The Title Of The TOP GUN Sequel, June 2, 2017. Accessed June 2, 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (June 30, 2017). "Paramount Sets 'Top Gun 2' For July 2019; Joseph Kosinski Firmed For Tom Cruise Pic". Deadline. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (June 30, 2017). "Tom Cruise's 'Top Gun' Sequel Gets July 2019 Release Date". Variety. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Colburn, Randall (June 7, 2018). "Kenny Loggins is recording a new version of "Danger Zone" for Top Gun: Maverick". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- "Val Kilmer". www.facebook.com.
- Gonzalez, Umberto; Donnelly, Matt (June 6, 2018). "Iceman Returneth: Val Kilmer to Return for 'Top Gun: Maverick'". TheWrap. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (July 3, 2018). "Miles Teller to Play Goose's Son in 'Top Gun: Maverick' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 6, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (July 20, 2018). "Jennifer Connelly in Early Talks to Join Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun' Sequel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (July 20, 2018). "Jennifer Connelly On Tarmac For 'Top Gun 2: Maverick'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 23, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (August 1, 2018). "Glen Powell to Join Tom Cruise in 'Top Gun' Sequel After All (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- ‘Unreal’s’ Monica Barbaro to Play Miles Teller’s Love Interest in ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ (EXCLUSIVE)
- Fleming Jr, Mike (August 21, 2018). "'Top Gun: Maverick' Casts Up Flight School Saga Around Tom Cruise". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- Couch, Aaron (August 22, 2018). "'Top Gun' Sequel Adds Jon Hamm and Ed Harris". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 27, 2018). "'Top Gun: Maverick' Taps 'The Good Place's Manny Jacinto For Pilot Duty". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 27, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (October 2, 2018). "'Top Gun: Maverick' Sets Final Seven For Cast, Including Kara Wang As A Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- Mitchell, Robert (31 May 2018). "Tom Cruise Shares First Look Photo as 'Top Gun 2' Begins Production". Variety. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- Ong, Jermaine (May 31, 2018). "Top Gun 2: Tom Cruise shares photo on first day of production on 'Top Gun' sequel". 10News. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Top Gun sequel begins filming aboard USS Abraham Lincoln - August 23, 2018
- Filming for 'Top Gun' sequel taking place aboard USS Abraham Lincoln - Aug 21, 2018
- Anthony D'Alessandro (August 29, 2018). "'Top Gun: Maverick' Flies To Summer 2020 With 'A Quiet Place' Sequel & More: Paramount Release Date Changes". Deadline. Retrieved September 15, 2018.