|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Communist Party Secretary||Tan Xiaoping (谭小平)|
|• Chairman of Ningxiang County People's Congress||He Yinghui (贺应辉)|
|• County Governor||Zhou Hui (周辉)|
|• Chairman of Ningxiang County of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference||Yu Yajun (喻亚军)|
|• County||2,906 km2 (1,122 sq mi)|
|Population (August 2012)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Ningxiang County (simplified Chinese: 宁乡县; traditional Chinese: 寧鄉縣; pinyin: Níngxiāng Xiàn; literally: "peaceful home") is a county and the 2nd most populous county-level divison in the Province of Hunan, China; it is under the administration of Changsha City. the county is bordered to the north by Heshan District of Yiyang and Taojiang County, to the west by Anhua County and Lianyuan City, to the south by Louxing District of Loudi, Xiangxiang City, Shaoshan City and Yuhu District of Xiangtan,to the east by Yuelu and Wangcheng Districts. Located in the central east of Hunan Province, Ningxiang covers 2,906 km2 (1,122 sq mi) with registered population of 1,393,528 and resident population of 1,218,400 (as of 2014). The county has 4 subdistricts, 21 towns and 4 townships under its juridiction, the county seat is Yutan Subdistrict (玉潭街道).
The county is famous for its tourism as the home of attractions like He Shuheng's Former Residence, Xie Juezai's Former Residence, Liu Shaoqi's Former Residence, Baiyun Temple, Miyin Temple, and Puji Temple.
Ningxiang was a site of spectacular Shang archaeological finds
In 2004, a Chinese team excavated ruins from the Western Zhou period (11th century-771BC) at Tanheli. The findings were of a city site that included two large yellow earth artificial building sites and two even larger sites that may have been palace dwellings. Remnants of moats were found both inside and outside the city. In the highlands outside the city were excavated seven small tombs for nobles and lords which contained many bronze culture implements as well as those made of jade. The site was listed in Beijing as one of the top ten archeological discoveries of 2004.
|Dahe Renmianwen square ding: a ding vessel decorated with human face. It is a bronze vessel of the later Shang Dynasty and unearthed at Zhaizishan, Huangcai Town, Ningxiang County in 1959. It is displayed at the Hunan Provincial Museum.|
|Siyangfangzun or Four-goat Square Zun: a zun vessel of the later Shang Dynasty and Unearthed at Zhuanerlun hillside (转耳仑山腰), Huangcai town, Ningxiang County. Discovered by Jiang Jingsu (姜景舒) and his other two brothers on April, 1938. It is displayed at the National Museum of China.|
According to the result on adjustment of township-level administrative divisions of Ningxiang county on November 19, 2015, The divisions of Ningxiang County, according to the result on adjustment of township-level administrative divisions of Ningxiang county on November 19, 2015: Fengmuqiao township and Xieleqiao town merged to Huitang town, Nantianping township merged to Batang town, Zhuliangqiao township merged to Shuangjiangkou town, Ningxiang county has 4 townships, 21 towns and 4 subdistricts under its jurisdiction.
|Name||Chinese character||Population (2005)||Area (Km2)||Note|
Ningxiang County is located in the middle of Hunan province. The county has a total area of 2,903.52 square kilometres (1,121.06 sq mi). The county is bordered by Wangcheng District, to the east, Xiangtan County, to the Southeast, Shaoshan, Xiangxiang, Lianyuan, and Loudi, to the south, Anhua County, to the west, Taojiang County and Yiyang, to the North.
Ningxiang County is in the subtropical monsoon climate zone and exhibits four distinct seasons. Spring and fall are warm, while winter is chilly with cold winds. Winter temperatures average around 5 °C (41 °F). Summers are very hot and dry with a July daily average of 35 °C (95 °F).
Lakes and reservoirs
The Huangcai Reservoir, also known as "Qingyang Lake", is a large reservoir located in the northwestern part of Ningxiang County. It is the largest body of water in Ningxiang County and the largest reservoir in Ningxiang County.
The Tianping Reservoir, also known as "Qingshan Lake", is a large reservoir located in the western part of Ningxiang County. It is the second largest body of water in Ningxiang County and the second largest reservoir in Ningxiang County.
The highest natural elevation in Ningxiang County is 1071m at Wazizhai (瓦子寨).
Ningxiang is one of the most developed counties in Hunan, it ranked the 62th in the Top100 of counties and county-level ciities of China by comprehensive strength in 2016. It is one of the best developed manufacturing counties and county-level cities in the province, the manufacturing industry is its economic pillar. Ningxiang's economic engines are food and beverage, Advanced equipment manufacturing, new materials, modern services industry, machinery manufacture and clothing. For example of 2015, the gross domestic product of Ningxiang County was CN￥100.22 billion (US$ 16.09 billion), Of this total, the value added of the the manufacturing industry was CN￥61.31 billion (US$9.84 billion), shares 61.18 percentage of its GDP.
Ningxiang County has a variety of industries, such as the Wangbuliao Clothing, Sundance Clothing, Tsingtao Brewery, Jiajia Food, and Sany. The county's manufacturering products include paper, technological equipment, automobiles, food, clothing and other goods. The service sector of the county's economy includes things like banking, health care, construction, communications, education, tourism and government.
Tourism comprises a large part of Ningxiang County's economy, with 20 million visitors spending ￥2 billion in 2014.
As of 2012, the National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China estimates the county's population now to be 1,368,117.
The county government supports all religious. As of 2015, the majority of Ningxiang people are atheists. Most of Ningxiang people are worship Chinese folk religion. Only 3% of Ningxiang people belong to Buddhists, 1% are Taoists, 1% are Roman Catholics and Protestants.
Ningxiang County has its own laws regulating education. The county government require young people to attend school. The age limits vary: six to fifteen. Every child in the county is guaranteed up to 9 years of education (Chinese: 九年义务教育). Filling classroom from kindergarten to the twelfth grade, they attend classes for an average of five hours a day, five days a week, until the beginning of the following summer.
Ningxiang County's students pass through several levels of schooling, and thus, several curricula, on their way to a high school diploma. They attend:
- Elementary School. The Elementary School usually means grade 1 through 6. And grades 7, 8, and 9 make up what is called an "Elementary Middle School". Ningxiang County has more than 200 public schools and more than 100 public middle schools. Almost every elementary school provides instruction in these subjects: Chinese language (it includes reading, grammar, composition, and literature), English language, mathematics, science, history, geography, biology, ideological and political, computer, art, music, and physical education.
- Secondary School. The Secondary School generally means grade 10-12. These grades are popularly called "High School". Secondary schools offer these subjects: Chinese language, English language, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, history, geography, political, computer, and physical education. Ningxiang County has 16 public high schools, including:
- First High School of Ningxiang
- Second High School of Ningxiang
- Third High School of Ningxiang
- Fourth High School of Ningxiang
- Fifth High School of Ningxiang
- Sixth High School of Ningxiang
- Seventh High School of Ningxiang
- Eighth High School
- Ninth High School of Ningxiang
- Tenth High School of Ningxiang
- Eleventh High School of Ningxiang
- Twelfth High School
- Thirteenth High School of Ningxiang
- Ningxiang Experimental High School
- Yutan Experimental High School
- Yunfan Experimental High School
Huaguxi is the most influence local theater.
Ningxiang County's most visited Buddhism temple is Miyin Temple, which was built in Tang dynasty in Weishan Township, the county is also known for Puji Temple and Shangliu Temple in Qingshanqiao Town, and Baiyun Temple in Huilong Mountain.
Huitang Hot Spring is a popular attraction.
Ningxiang County is the birthplace of:
- Gan Siqi - one of only 57 generals bestowed the honour of being a "founding general" of the People's Republic of China.
- He Shuheng - a proletarian revolutionary in modern China.
- Huang Yali - a pop singer who earned sixth place in the 2006 Super Girl contest.
- Ray Huang - a historian and philosopher best known in his later years for the idea of macro-history.
- Li Zehou - a scholar of philosophy and intellectual history who currently resides in the United States.
- Liu Shaoqi - a former president of the People's Republic of China. His former residence is now a museum.
- Liu Yuan - one of sons of Liu Shaoqi, a general and the political commissar of the People's Liberation Army General Logistics Department.
- Lu Diping - a military general and politician.
- Lu Li - a gymnast best known for her gold medal on the uneven bars in the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.
- Qi Xueqi - a famous Anti-Japanese commander of the Kuomintang (KMT).
- Tang Sulan - a writer and politician.
- Tao Zhiyue - a Kuomintang general during the Second Anti-Japanese War.
- Tong Enzheng - an archaeologist, historian, designer, and science fiction author.
- Xiang Zhejun - a jurist and prosecutor at International Military Tribunal for the Far East.
- Xie Juezai - former Deputy Secretary of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection.
- Xie Fei - son of Xue Juezai, a world-recognized Chinese film director.
- Ye Xiaowen - former director of the State Administration for Religious Affairs
- Zhou Guangzhao - former President of Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- Zhou Shuguang - a blogger and citizen journalist best known for traveling around China to document injustice done to citizens.
- 宁乡县第六次全国人口普查主要数据公报. Ningxiang Government (in Chinese). 2012-08-30.
- 微长沙快讯：望城区委书记谭小平拟任宁乡县委书记. Xingchen Online (in Chinese). Changsha. 2015-03-31.
- 宁乡县十六届人大四次会议开幕. Red.net. Changsha. 2015-01-14.
- 宁乡县周辉. Red.net (in Chinese). Changsha. 2015.
- 政协宁乡县第十一届委员会主席、副主席、秘书长简历. Ningxiangdaily (in Chinese). 2012-11-23.
- 最新县及县以上行政区划代码（截止2013年8月31日） (in Chinese). 2014-01-17.
- 宁乡县被正式命名为“国家卫生县城”. Red.net (in Chinese). Changsha. 2014-01-04.
- Changsha Yearly Book 2015 (长沙统计年鉴2015)
- According to the result on adjustment of township-level administrative divisions of Liuyang city on November 19, 2015: changshamca.gov (2015-11-27): 《长沙市人民政府关于调整望城区部分乡镇区划的通知》, rednet (2015-11-19): 《湖南省民政厅关于同意长沙市望城区乡镇区划调整方案的批复》(湘民行发〔2015〕39号), also see: rednet (2015-12-03): 《长沙正式对有关区县市下发通知调整乡镇行政区划》
- Cambridge History of Ancient China, 1999:209
- "Ruins from the Western Zhou Period, Tanheli, Ningxiang County, Hunan Province". www.china.org. Retrieved 2008-01-28.
- rednet (2015-12-04): 《湖南省民政厅关于同意宁乡县乡镇区划调整方案的批复》(湘民行发〔2015〕40号) also see: rednet (2015-12-03): 《长沙昨日下发通知调整乡镇行政区划 合并乡镇20个》
- xinhuanet (7-Nov-16): 2016年全国综合实力百强县 or people.com (7-Nov-16)
- the economy of Ningxiang County in 2015: according to 宁乡县2015年国民经济和社会发展统计公报
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ningxiang County.|