South City Mall
South City Mall on its 4th Anniversary
|Location||375, Prince Anwar Shah Road, Kolkata - 68|
|Opening date||16 January 2008|
|Developer||South City projects (Kolkata) Ltd.|
|Architect||ICS Bentel Associates|
|No. of stores and services||167|
|No. of anchor tenants||6|
|Total retail floor area||1,555,000 sq ft (144,500 m2)|
|No. of floors||6(2 basements, top floor under construction)|
South City Mall is a shopping mall in south Kolkata, India. Located on Prince Anwar Shah Road (where the erstwhile Usha Industries factories and staff quarters were situated) it has been open since 16 January 2008. It has a Gross Lease-able Area of 1,000,000 sq ft (93,000 m2) and parking for 2,500 vehicles.
The mall was designed by retail specialist ICS Bentel Associates. Anchored by major stores like Pantaloons, Spencer's Retail and Shoppers Stop, there are also 134 other stores, a food court on the top floor and a INOX multiplex
- South City Mall houses a six screen INOX multiplex, at the lounge cum food court inside the multiplex's premises.
- It houses a food court called Food Talk, which contains kiosks of food from around the world. It also features some restaurants like Mainland China. Confectionery is available at Kookie Jar, The Cream and Fudge Factory, Swirl's, Candy Treat, The Cookie Man, Coffee World, Spencer's Bakery, Cafe Coffee Day
One person was killed and three others were critically injured on Sunday when a ladder on which they were working inside a shopping mall here collapsed. The incident happened in the South City Mall, leading to pandemonium among visitors.The four workers were busy putting up banners while standing on a ladder when it collapsed. The injured workers were rushed to a nursing home where one of them was declared dead. Police reached the spot and were investigating if proper security measures were followed while undertaking the maintenance and decoration work.
Fire at South City Mall
On 4 December 2016 which was a Sunday morning at 9:15 am fire broke out at South City Mall Food Court. People noticed black smoke engulfing the food court. Security guards immediately severed electric connections and alerted people watching the movie show in the multiplex.The movie which was running in the Inox Movie Theatre was stopped and viewers and visitors were taken out safely from South City Mall. No people were injured.15 fire tenders rushed to spot and controlled the fire. Fire minister Sovon Chatterjee visited the spot. Following this incident the South City Mall management decided to shut down the mall for four months starting from 1 February 2017. During this temporary closure the mall is rumored to undergo some major makeovers to make it safer and more environment friendly.
While some major makeovers were planned to increase safety after the fire breakout, the developers also announced an upgradation for the mall which started from 1 February 2017. It involved a complete renovation of the mall with most of the shops either being removed or shifted from their initial slot, and the entry of many new boutique global brands like Starbucks, Harley-Davidson(only clothing accessories) & many more. A new floor is being constructed which is planning to accommodate the food court,which will be shifted from the 3rd floor, for making space for new shops. Thus, after completion, the mall will house 4 floors. Although the mall has been partially opened on 22 December 2017, construction work is going parallelly at full swing, and the developers plan to complete the full construction by end of 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South City Shopping Mall.|
- "shoppers stop south city mall in Jadavpur kolkata | shoppers stop south city mall Jadavpur Phone Numbers & Address | Bazaars & Shopping Complexes - Yahoo! India Local". In.local.yahoo.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "South City Mall, South City Shopping Mall Kolkata West Bengal India". Kolkatamalls.com. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "South City Projects (Kolkata) Ltd. - Residential Tower". South City Projects. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "South City Projects (Kolkata) Ltd. - South City Mall". South City Projects. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Accident in Kolkata's South City Mall kills one, injures three". India Today. 12 January 2014.
- Zaved, Zeeshan (4 December 2016). "Fire breaks out at Kolkata's South City Mall, 15 fire tenders rushed to spot". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 November 2018.