Bangsamoro (political entity)
|Bangsamoro Autonomous Region
منطقة بانجسامورو ذاتية الحكم
|Proposed Autonomous region|
Political map of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region
|Projected establishment||Upon the ratification of the Basic Law on selected areas in Muslim Mindanao|
|• Type||Autonomous region Parliamentary system|
|• Chief Minister||to be selected by the Bangsamoro Transition Autority on the interim|
|• Deputy Chief Minister||to be selected by the Bangsamoro Transition Autority on the interim|
|• Speaker of the Bangsamoro Parliament||to be selected by the Bangsamoro Transition Autority on the interim|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
The Bangsamoro Autonomous Region is a proposed autonomous region within the Philippines. The proposal is part of the Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro, a preliminary peace agreement signed between the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and the government.
The new entity is intended to supersede the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), which President Benigno Aquino III described as a "failed experiment". This new political entity seeks to bring closure to the 15-year peace process between the Philippine government and the Moro people in the Mindanao.
On October 15, 2012, the historic preliminary agreement was signed by Government's chief negotiator Marvic Leonen, MILF Peace Panel Chair Mohagher Iqbal (nom de guerre), and Malaysian facilitator Tengku Dato’ Ab Ghafar Tengku Mohamed along with President Aquino, Prime Minister Najib Razak of Malaysia, Chairman Al-Hajj Murad Ebrahim of the MILF, and Secretary-General Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation at the Malacañang Palace in Manila. This document outlines general agreements on major issues, including the extent of power, revenues and territory granted for the new Muslim autonomous region. At the first stage of the negotiation, Malaysia's involvement as the facilitator has caused a concern among Filipino communities as been reported by media in the Philippines. This was however have been explained by the Malaysian side that its involvement was due to the request by the Philippine government and MILF.
The Comprehensive Agreement on Bangsamoro was signed at Malacañang in March 27, 2014 as witnessed by leaders and members of MILF and the Philippine government, as well as by Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, whose country served as the third-party negotiator in the peace talks.
Possible delay on the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL)
On January 25, 2015, 44 members of the Special Action Force were killed after the killing of Malaysian terrorist Zulkifli Abdhir aka Marwan, by allegedly the MILF and BIFF. Sen. Ferdinand Marcos, Jr., Chairman of the Committee on Local Government in the Senate suspend the hearings on the BBL due to the bloody encounter, while Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano and JV Ejercito withdrew as an author in the BBL bill.
Dozens have been killed in the fighting, including 44 police commandos, 17 MILF rebels and three civilians. 
Senate version of the Basic Law
In the Philippine Senate, a revised version of the BBL, known as the Basic Law for the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region, was presented on August 11, 2015 after lengthy deliberations on the BBL in the Committee on Local Government, and was due for interpellation on August 17, 2015. Due to the length and complexity of the bill, however, the senate temporarily deferred the period of interpellation for the bill.
|Body||Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao||Bangsamoro Autonomous Region||Philippines (Central Government only)|
|Constitutional Document||ARMM Organic Act (Republic Act No. 6734)||Basic Law for the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region||Constitution of the Philippines|
|Head of State / Territory||Regional Governor||Chief Minister||President of the Philippines|
|Head of Government||Regional Governor||Chief Minister|
|Executive||Executive Departments of the ARMM||Bangsamoro Cabinet||Executive Departments of the Philippines|
|Legislative||Regional Legislative Assembly||Bangsamoro Parliament||Bicameral: Senate and Congress|
|Judiciary||None (under Philippine government)||To be determined (Planned)||Supreme Court|
|None (under Philippine government)||Planned (before 2016)||Department of Justice|
|Police Force(s)||Philippine National Police;
under the Central Government
|Philippine National Police|
|Military||Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP);
under the Central Government
|Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP)|
|Currency||Philippine peso||Philippine peso|
|Official Language(s)||Filipino and English||Filipino and English|
|Foreign relations||None||full rights|
|Shariah law||Yes, for Muslims only||None, secular law|
- Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro
- Comprehensive Agreement on Bangsamoro
- Peace process with the Bangsamoro in the Philippines
- "Gov’t, MILF Agree to Create Bangsamoro to Replace ARMM". October 15, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "‘Who is he?’ Senate panel to press Iqbal on real name". April 10, 2015. Retrieved 2015-04-10.
- Framework Agreement of the Bangsamoro. Government of the Philippines. October 20, 2012.
- "Gov’t, MILF seal preliminary peace pact". October 15, 2012. Retrieved 2012-10-15.
- "Peace Deal Paves The Way For Long And Enduring Peace". October 16, 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "‘Malaysia’s role should be explained’". The Manila Times. 21 April 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Ellen T. Tordesillas (28 June 2015). "Magdalo Rep: Malaysia’s role in creation of Bangsamoro still cause of concern". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "‘Philippine govt and MILF requested Malaysia involvement’". The Star. 26 April 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Ted Regencia. "Philippines prepares for historic peace deal". aljazeera.com. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Philippines, Muslim Rebels Try to Salvage Peace Pact". VOA. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Senate sets new timeline for BBL approval". philstar.com. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Senate BBL debates to start August 17". Sun.Star. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "Senate defers BBL deliberations". cnn. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "DOCUMENT: Marcos submits overhauled Bangsamoro bill". Rappler. Retrieved 23 August 2015.