Bao'an Dadao,a major thoroughfare of Bao'an
Bao'an District within Shenzhen
|• Total||392.14 km2 (151.41 sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Bao'an District (Chinese: 宝安区; pinyin: Bǎo'ān Qū; Cantonese Jyutping: Bou2 On1 Keoi1) is one of the six districts comprising Shenzhen, a major city in Guangdong, People's Republic of China. It is one of the two districts formerly lying outside the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone, the other being Longgang.
Formerly known as Bao'an (or San On) County, after being integrated into Shenzhen in 1979, Bao'an was reverted into county status in 1981. Finally Bao'an district was established in January 1, 1993. Two new districts (新区) were separated from Bao'an district, namely Guangming and Longhua new districts, in 2007 and 2011 respectively. In 2010, it was returned to be a part of Shenzhen Special Economic Zone and rapid development occurred. Longhua was separated from Bao'an and became a district on 11 October 2016.
The district had a population of 2,736,500 in 2014. About 85% of Bao'an's population are migrants from other parts of China, most speaking Mandarin. Hence this made Mandarin the primary Chinese variety spoken in the district. Cantonese is also widely spoken, between locals and migrants from around Guangdong.
Bao'an has a notoriously bad safety record. Since the turn of the millennium, the district has seen a string of high-profile abductions, robberies, and other cases of violent crime. However, in the last 4 years, this has become less of an issue with an increased police presence and higher average income in the district. Foreigners rarely feel threatened when going about their daily (or nightly) lives in Bao'an District.
Bao'an District comprises sixteen subdistricts:
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Canton Romanization||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Xin'an Subdistrict||新安街道||Xīn'ān Jiēdào||sen1 ngon1 gai1 dou6||410,056||30.90|
|Xixiang Subdistrict||西乡街道||Xīxiāng Jiēdào||sei1 hêng1 gai1 dou6||580,736||106.00|
|Songgang Subdistrict||松岗街道||Sōnggǎng Jiēdào||cung4 gong1 gai1 dou6||398,153||64.00|
|Shajing Subdistrict||沙井街道||Shājǐng Jiēdào||sa1 zéng2 gai1 dou6||529,041||60.00|
|Fuyong Subdistrict||福永街道||Fúyǒng Jiēdào||fug1 wing5 gai1 dou6||472,792||66.20|
|Shiyan Subdistrict||石岩街道||Shíyán Jiēdào||ség6 ngam4 gai1 dou6||248,139||64.60|
|Hangcheng Subdistrict||航城街道||Hángchēng Jiēdào|
|Fuhai Subdistrict||福海街道||Fúhǎi Jiēdào|
|Xinqiao Subdistrict||新桥街道||Xīnqiáo Jiēdào|
|Yanluo Subdistrict||燕罗街道||Yànluō Jiēdào|
|Guangming Subdistrict||光明街道||Guāngmíng Jiēdào||guong1 ming4 gai1 dou6||480,907||156.1|
|Gongming Subdistrict||公明街道||Gōngmíng Jiēdào||gung1 ming4 gai1 dou6|
|Xinhu Subdistrict||新湖街道||Xīnhú Jiēdào||sen1 wu4 gai1 dou6|
|Fenghuang Subdistrict||凤凰街道||Fènghuáng Jiēdào||fung6 wong4 gai1 dou6|
|Yutang Subdistrict||玉塘街道||Yùtáng Jiēdào||yug6 tong4 gai1 dou6|
|Matian Subdistrict||马田街道||Mǎtián Jiēdào||ma5 tin4 gai1 dou6|
Bao'an is predominantly a secondary sector economy as industrial center famous for having a concentration electronics factories, mostly in Xixiang and Guanlan sub-districts. There is also a sizable service industry. Agriculture, which used to dominate the economy, has diminished in recent years. Like many parts of Shenzhen, high-rises can be found all over Bao'an.
Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport (深圳宝安国际机场) is situated in this district. Shenzhen metro lines 1, 4, and 5 go through the district at some point. The Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong High-Speed Railway cuts through the district north to south.
Bao'an is currently served by three metro lines operated by Shenzhen Metro:
- Line 1 - Xin'an, Bao'an Center , Bao'an Stadium, Pingzhou, Xixiang, Gushu, Hourui, Airport East
- Line 4 - Minle, Baishilong, Shenzhen North , Hongshan, Shangtang, Longsheng, Longhua, Qinghu
- Line 5 - Baohua, Bao'an Center , Fanshen, Lingzhi, Honglang North, Xingdong, (five stations in Nanshan), Shenzhen North , Minzhi
- Line 11 - Bitou, Songgang, Houting, Shajing, Ma'an Hill, Tangwei, Qiaotou, Fuyong, Airport North, Airport, Bihaiwan, Bao'an
- Sina. "国务院批复同意设立深圳市龙华区和坪山区". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- South China Morning Post, Police struggle to cope with Shenzhen crime wave, December 31, 2005.
- shi, Guo wu yuan ren kou pu cha ban gong; council, Guo jia tong ji ju ren kou he jiu ye tong ji si bian = Tabulation on the 2010 population census of the people's republic of China by township / compiled by Population census office under the state; population, Department of; statistics, employment statistics national bureau of (2012). Zhongguo 2010 nian ren kou pu cha fen xiang, zhen, jie dao zi liao (Di 1 ban. ed.). Beijing Shi: Zhongguo tong ji chu ban she. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- "Contact Us." Shenzhen Airlines. Retrieved on 9 September 2009.
- "Contact Us." Jade Cargo International. Retrieved on July 11, 2010.
- "联系我们." Shenzhen Donghai Airlines. Retrieved on February 24, 2014. "Address:Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport, Shenzhen Airlines. Post code：518128" - Chinese address: "地址：深圳市宝安区宝安国际机场航站四路3009号东海航空基地 邮政编码:518128"
- "Contact Us." SF Airlines. Retrieved on February 24, 2014. "SF Airlines Co., Ltd. Address: No.1 Freight Depot, International Shipping Center of Bao'an International Airport, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, 518128, P.R.C." - Chinese address: "地 址：中国广东省深圳市宝安国际机场国际货运中心1号货站 邮 编：518128"
- "联系方式" (Archive). Vienna Hotels. Retrieved on November 9, 2014. "总部地址：深圳市龙华新区深圳北站西广场B1b栋维也纳国际酒店二层"