Bao'an District (the leftmost, highlighted in mint) within Shenzhen
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||733 km2 (283 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
Bao'an District (Chinese: 宝安区) is one of the nine districts comprising the city of Shenzhen, Guangdong province. It is one of the two districts formerly lying outside the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone, the other being Longgang.
Bao'an was the historical name of Bao'an County (also known as Xin'an County) of the Qing dynasty, which included area of modern day Shenzhen and Hong Kong. The area of today Bao'an District, was integrated into Shenzhen in 1979, which the Bao'an County was promoted as a city.
Bao'an was reverted into county status in 1981, as the administrative unit of the area that belongs to Shenzhen, but now belongs to Shenzhen Special Economic Zone. Border patrols were also established in the border of the Economic Zone. In 1991, Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport, located in Bao'an County, was opened.
Finally Bao'an district was established in January 1, 1993. Two New Districts (Chinese: 新区) were created as sub-districts of Bao'an district, namely Guangming and Longhua new districts, in 2007 and 2011 respectively.
In 2010, Shenzhen Special Economic Zone was enlarged to cover the whole Shenzhen city. Rapid development occurred in the Bao'an District. Longhua District was separated from Bao'an and became a district on 11 October 2016. In 2018, Guangming District was also separated from Bao'an District.
The district had a population of 2,736,500 in 2014. About 85% of Bao'an's population are migrants from other parts of China, most speaking Standard Chinese (Standard Mandarin). Hence this made Standard Chinese the primary Chinese variety spoken in the district. Cantonese is also widely spoken, between locals and migrants from around Guangdong Province (Canton Province).
Bao'an has, as of 2008, a notoriously bad[who?] safety record. Since the turn of the millennium, the district has seen a string of high-profile abductions, robberies, and other cases of violent crime. However, in the last 4 years, this has become less of an issue with an increased police presence and higher average income in the district. Foreigners rarely feel threatened when going about their daily (or nightly) lives in Bao'an District.
Bao'an District comprises ten subdistricts:
|Name||Chinese (S)||Hanyu Pinyin||Canton Romanization||Population (2010)||Area (km2)|
|Xin'an Subdistrict||新安街道||Xīn'ān Jiēdào||sen1 ngon1 gai1 dou6||410,056||30.90|
|Xixiang Subdistrict||西乡街道||Xīxiāng Jiēdào||sei1 hêng1 gai1 dou6||580,736||106.00|
|Songgang Subdistrict||松岗街道||Sōnggǎng Jiēdào||cung4 gong1 gai1 dou6||398,153||64.00|
|Shajing Subdistrict||沙井街道||Shājǐng Jiēdào||sa1 zéng2 gai1 dou6||529,041||60.00|
|Fuyong Subdistrict||福永街道||Fúyǒng Jiēdào||fug1 wing5 gai1 dou6||472,792||66.20|
|Shiyan Subdistrict||石岩街道||Shíyán Jiēdào||ség6 ngam4 gai1 dou6||248,139||64.60|
|Hangcheng Subdistrict||航城街道||Hángchēng Jiēdào|
|Fuhai Subdistrict||福海街道||Fúhǎi Jiēdào|
|Xinqiao Subdistrict||新桥街道||Xīnqiáo Jiēdào|
|Yanluo Subdistrict||燕罗街道||Yànluō Jiēdào|
Bao'an is predominantly a secondary sector economy as industrial center famous for having a concentration electronics factories, mostly in Xixiang and Guanlan sub-districts. There is also a sizable service industry. Agriculture, which used to dominate the economy, has diminished in recent years. Like many parts of Shenzhen, high-rises can be found all over Bao'an.
Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport is situated in this district. Shenzhen metro lines 1, 5 and 11 go through the district at some point.
Bao'an is currently served by three metro lines operated by Shenzhen Metro:
- Line 1 - Xin'an, Bao'an Center , Bao'an Stadium, Pingzhou, Xixiang, Gushu, Hourui, Airport East
- Line 5 - Baohua, Bao'an Center , Fanshen, Lingzhi, Honglang North, Xingdong
- Line 11 - Bitou, Songgang, Houting, Shajing, Ma'an Hill, Tangwei, Qiaotou, Fuyong, Airport North, Airport, Bihaiwan, Bao'an
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2017)
Primary schools include:
- Xiwan Primary School (西湾小学)
- 国务院批复同意设立深圳市龙华区和坪山区. Sina Finance. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- South China Morning Post, Police struggle to cope with Shenzhen crime wave, December 31, 2005.
- Census Office of the State Council of the People's Republic of China; Population and Employment Statistics Division of the National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China (2012). 中国2010人口普查分乡、镇、街道资料 (1 ed.). Beijing: China Statistics Print. ISBN 978-7-5037-6660-2.
- "Contact Us." Shenzhen Airlines. Retrieved on 9 September 2009.
- "Contact Us Archived 2009-04-11 at the Wayback Machine." Jade Cargo International. Retrieved on July 11, 2010.
- "Archived copy" 联系我们. Shenzhen Donghai Airlines. Archived from the original on 2013-12-04. Retrieved 2014-02-24.
地址：深圳市宝安区宝安国际机场航站四路3009号东海航空基地 邮政编码:518128CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)}}
- "Contact Us." SF Airlines. Retrieved on February 24, 2014. "SF Airlines Co., Ltd. Address: No.1 Freight Depot, International Shipping Center of Bao'an International Airport, Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, 518128, P.R.C." - Chinese address: "地 址：中国广东省深圳市宝安国际机场国际货运中心1号货站 邮 编：518128"
- Home. Xiwan Primary School. Retrieved on June 21, 2017.
- Bao'an District Government Official website
- Bao'an District Government Official website ‹See Tfd›(in Chinese)