|• Total||5,837 km2 (2,254 sq mi)|
|Elevation||10 m (30 ft)|
|• Density||403/km2 (1,040/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Srikakulam District, formerly known as Chicacole, is the extreme northeastern district of Andhra Pradesh, situated within the geographic co-ordinates of 18°-20’ and 19°-10’ N and 83°-50’ and 84°-50’ E. The district is skirted to a distance by Kandivalasagedda, Vamsadhara and Bahuda at certain stretches of their courses white a line of heights of the great Eastern Ghats run from North East. Vizianagaram District flanks in the south and west while Odisha bounds it on the north and Bay of Bengal on the East. It is the third least populous district of Andhra Pradesh (out of 23), after Vizianagaram and Nizamabad.
- 1 Etymology
- 2 History
- 3 Geography
- 4 Education
- 5 software companies
- 6 Economy
- 7 Transport
- 8 Notable Persons
- 9 Politicians
- 10 Places for tourism
- 11 Revenue divisions,mandals and constituencies
- 12 Demographics
- 13 Image Gallery
- 14 See also
- 15 References
- 16 External links
The district derived its name from Srikakulam its headquarters town.
Srikakulam District was carved out in 1950 by bifurcating it from Visakhapatnam District, it remained unaffected in its territorial jurisdiction for quite some time. But in November, 1969 the district lost 63 Villages from Saluru Taluk and 44 Villages from Bobbili Taluk on account of their transfer to the then newly constituted Gajapathinagaram Taluk of Visakhapatnam District. Again in May, 1979, the district had undergone major territorial changes on account of the formation of new District with headquarters at Vizianagaram which involved transfer of Salur, Bobbili, Parvathipuram and Cheepurupalli Taluks to the new District.Srikakulam's culture is a blend of traditional festivals, food, music and theatres.
Srikakulam district occupies an area of 5,837 square kilometres (2,254 sq mi), comparatively equivalent to Australia's Melville Island. Srikakulam district can be divided into two main distinct natural divisions. A portion of Srikakulam district is plain terrain with intense agriculture and another portion of the district is rocky and hilly terrain covered with forests. Some extent of Mahendragiri hills also covers Srikakulam district. Most of the forest area of the plain terrain has been damaged by intense agriculture. Kotthuru, Hiramandalam, Pathapatnam, Kalingadal reservoir and some other areas are still covered with dense forests.
Srikakulam is located 100 km (62 mi) north of Visakhapatnam. It has a population of 2,537,593 of which 10.98% is urban as of 2001.
Srikakulam district has the longest coast line about 193 km (120 mi) in the state of Andhra Pradesh. It is bordered by Odisha on the north, Vizianagaram district on the west and south, Bay of Bengal on the east.
The Nagavali and Vamsadhara are the major rivers in Srikakulam district. These two river basins together constitute about 5% of the area. The Mahendratanaya and Bahuda rivers are two minor river basins in the district. Others are Benjigedda, Peddagedda, Kandivalasa gedda.
- Major irrigation projects: VamsadharaProject, Narayanapuram Anicut, Thotapalli Regulator and
- Medium irrigation projects: Pydigam Project, Onigadda are providing a total ayacut of 69,373 acres (280.74 km2).
Irrigation water societies
(Telugu = Neeti Sanghalu): The societies are major and minor:
- In the major category for Vamsadhara project 54 water societies are present and other 44 major societies to a total of 100 major
- Minor societies are 402
- Through the 38 Mandals in the Srikakulam district these societies are distributed under the channel name and for each society there are Pradesika Societies about 6-8 will be elected among the farmers. In the Srikakulam district about 75,000 farmer voters are participating in these Irrigation water society elections.
- Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences Srikakulam town.
- GEMS—Great Eastern Medical Speciality and Hospital, Ragolu village -Srikakulam dist.
- Gurajada College of Education, Munasabpeta,SINGUPURAM
- Sri Sai Sirisha College of Education, Kasibugga
- Rangamudri College of Education, Iruvada
- Sri Radhakrishnan College of Education, Palakonda
- Dr. C.L Naidu College of Education, Palakonda
- R.L.N. Dora College of Education
- B.S & J.R College of Education, Tekkali
- Sri GCSR College of Education, Rajam
- Sri Venkateswara College of Education
- Mitra College of Education-Srikakulam Town
- Vamsadhara College of Education, Kotabommali
- Ravoof & Vazir Khan Memorial College of Education
- Vidyadhari college, Besides LIC office Srikakulam Town
- SSR College of Education, Srikakulam
Government Co-Education Colleges
- Government Degree College For Men,Srikakulam
- Government Degree College, Narasannapeta
- Government degree&pg college, Tekkali
Government Under Graduate Co-Education Colleges
- Government Degree College for Men, Srikakulam
- Government Degree College, Tekkali
- Government Degree College, Baruva
- Government Degree College, Narasannapeta
- Government Degree College, Ichapuram
- Government Degree College, Palakonda
- Government Degree College, Amadalavalasa
- Government Degree College, Pathapatnam
- Mithra Inst.of Technology, Mithra Hospital Complex
- Aditya Institute of Technology & Management
- GMR Institute of Technology, Rajam
- Sarada Institute of Science & Technology And Management,AMPOL ROAD,NEAR SINGUPURAM
- Prajna Instt. of Tech. & Mgmt
- Sri Sivani College of Engg
- Sri Sivani Inst. of Tech., Chilakapalem Jn. Etcherla (M)
- Sri Vaishnavi College of Engg., Singupuram (V), Srikakulam (M)
- Sri Venkateswara College of Engg. & Tech., Etcherla
- Shiva Rama Krishna College of Engineering & Technology,Turakala Kota, Nandigam Mandal Srikakulam Dist.
In 2007–2008 the International Institute for Population Sciences interviewed 1025 households in 44 villages across the district. They found that 86.9% had access to electricity, 70.4% had drinking water, 18.5% toilet facilities, and 47.2% lived in a pucca (permanent) home. 31.5% of girls wed before the legal age of 18 and 90.1% of interviewees carried a BPL card.
Major Railway Stations
- Amadalavalasa (Srikakulam Road) Code: CHE
- Palasa Code: PSA
- Naupada : NPD (JN)
- Ichchapuram Code:IPM
- Sompeta Code: SPT
- Srikakulam 1
- Srikakulam 2
- Gidugu Venkata Ramamoorty
- Garimella Satyanarayana (poet, freedom fighter)
- Pingali Nagendrarao(writer)
- Kalipatnam Ramarao (writer)
- Rachakonda Viswanatha Sastry(Ravisastry)(Writer)
- Vandrangi Ramarao(Bhavasri) (writer)
- J. V. Somayajulu(actor)
- Ghazal Srinivas
- Sripada Pinakapani (musical artist)
- Vaddadi Papaiah (artist)
- Amarapu Satyanarayana(actor/Drama Artist)
- J. V. Ramana Murthy (Actor)
- P.Susheela (Singer)
- ( Nutan Prasad)( Actor)
- ( Sigilipalli Syamla Rao)(Actor)
- ( Sarat Babu) (Actor)
- (Vangapandu) (Praja gayakudu-Singer)
Rotating Equipment Specialists
- (Sardhar Gaut Lachanna)
- (Boddepalli Rajagopala Rao (B.R)
- (Majji Tulasi Das)
- (Hanumantu Appayya Dora)
- Kinjarapu Yerran Naidu
- Gouthu Shyama Sundhar Shivaji
- Tammineni Seetharam
- Kambala Jogulu
- Kimidi kala Venkata rao
- Kinjarapu Achhannaidu
- Gunda Appala Suryanarayana
- Darmana Prasada rao
Places for tourism
- Arasavalli (temple of sun god)
- Srikurmam (temple of Vishhnu-Kurmavatara)
- Ravivalasa (Sri Endala Mallikarjuna Swamy Temple near Tekkali)
- PudivaniPeta (Sri Sri Sri Garammatalli Temple near Narasannapeta Mabagam Post)
- Mukhalingam (temple of Shiva)
- Salihundam Buddhist Remnant site at Gara near kalingapatnam
- Dantapuri Buddhist Remnant site and Ruins of an ancient city
- Telineelapuram(birds santury)
- Sri Narayana Tirumala Temple,Fazulbegpeta,nr P.N.Colony(Lord Venkateswara tirupati model temple)
- Mahendra Tanaya ( It is historical Place Bheema temple is Famous)
- Vasudeva temple From mandasa (very Historical temple in andra pradesh recently it was adopted to Endowment department it is under TTD)
- Also One of the famous Historical Place Is Sri Vallabha Narayana Swamy temple (it was located in Ratti Village Belongs to Mandasa Mandal It is very historical temple in Our Area people like called to this god Brother of Lord Venkateswara)
- Sri Endala Mallikharjuna Swamy in Ravivalasa
- Sangamayya Konda (Shiva temple)
- Koteswaraswamy Alayam (Shiva temple)
- Narayana Tirumala (srikakulam)
- Shrrdi Saibaba Temple temple at Visakha 'B' colony,Srikakulam
- Vasudeva Alayam(mandasa)
- Neelamanidurga Alayam(Pathapatnam)
- Kotadurga alyam(palakonda)
- Kothamma talli alyam [kotabommali]
- SriRanganadhaSwamy Templ Fareedpeta, Near Srikakulam Town
- Nava Durga Temple, (Rajam)(9 durgas located at one place)
- sri hatakeswara swamy temple, b.singupuram
- sri simhapuri sai giri temple, b.singupuram
- Sri Saibaba temple, kasibugga,Palasa
- Sri Neelamani Durga Ammavaru (Patapatnam)
- Sri Venugopala Swamy Alayam (Meliaputti)
Revenue divisions,mandals and constituencies
Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies
There are 3 Parliamentary Constituencies and 10 Assembly Constituencies in Srikakulam. district.
- Srikakulam Parliamentary Constituency is the only full Parliamentary Constituency
- Bobbili Parliamentary Constituency
- Parvatipuram Parliamentary Constituency are partially included in this district.
- Srikakulam Parliamentary Constituency includes the areas under Ichchapuram, Palasa, Tekkali, Narasannapeta, Amadalavalasa and Srikakulam assembly constituencies.
The 10 Assembly Constituencies are:
Revision of Assembly Constituencies
12 MLA constituencies are reduced to 10 and renamed as 
|Name of const'.||mandals||population||SC||ST|
|1.Srikakulam Assembly Constituency||Srikakulam, Gara, Srikakulam Town.||262,149||19,438||1,009|
|2.Etcherla||Ranastalam, Laveru, Etcherla, G.Sigadam.||281,908||32,005||1,412|
|3.Rajam||Rajam, Santakaviti, R-Amadalavalasa, Vangara.||264,867||31,303||2,998|
|4.Amadalavalasa||Amadalavalasa, Sarubujjili, Burja, Ponduru||231,602||22,509||2,586|
|5.Palakonda||Palakonda, Seetampeta, Bhamini, Veeragattam.||230,814||32,207||61,140|
|6.Narasannapeta||Narasannapeta, Polaki, Jalumuru, Saravakota.||249,001||14,906||6,944|
|7.Pathapatnam||Pathapatnam, Meliaputti, Hiramandalam, Kotturu, L.N. Peta.||243,092||27,937||36,850|
|8.Tekkali||Tekkali, Nandigam, Santabommali, Kotabommali.||258,815||14,906||6,944|
|9.Palasa||Palasa, Mandasa, V.Kotturu.naupada
|10.Ichapuram||Ichapuram, Kanchili, Kaviti, Sompeta||281,679||9,995||16,600|
Revenue divisions and Mandals
|Srikakulam Division||Tekkali Division||Palakonda Division|
147 According to the 2011 census Srikakulam district has a population of 2,699,471, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 147th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 462 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,200 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 6.38%. Srikakulam has a sex ratio of 1014 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 62.3%.
The District capital is Srikakulam, a municipality and mandal headquarters of Srikakulam mandal. Srikakulam formly known as Poor Man's ooty.
There are 6 urban units in Srikakulam District. Out of these, 4 are Municipalities and 1 Nagara panchayati and 1 are notified Panchayats. The Population details of these urban units are as follows:y
- Srikakulam 117,320
- Amadalavalasa 37,931
- Ichapuram 32,662
- Palasa-Kasibugga 49,899
- Rajam 23,424(Nagara Panchayathi)
- Sompeta 17,423
A Road to a village from Ponduru, srikakulam
- Srikakulam (Assembly Constituency)
- Ponduru, Srikakulam
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Law, Gwillim (2011-09-25). "Districts of India". Statoids. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Andhra Pradesh: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1111–1112. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. Retrieved 2011-10-11. "Melville Island 5,765km2"
- Census GIS India
- DistrictProfile.jsp Irrigation profile of Srikakulam district
- Dr.B.R.Ambedkar University
- "District Level Household and Facility Survey (DLHS-3), 2007-08: India. Andhra Prades" (PDF). International Institute for Population Sciences and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "How Do I? : Obtain Marriage Certificate". National Portal Content Management Team, National Informatics Centre. 2005. Retrieved 2011-10-03. "To be eligible for marriage, the minimum age limit is 21 for males and 18 for females."
- District-wise Assembly Constituencies in Andhra Pradesh
- Vaarta News paper Srikakulam Edition.dated 28 Nov,2007.
- Indian Census
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01. "Kuwait 2,595,62"
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30. "Nevada 2,700,551"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Srikakulam district.|
- Website of Srikakulam District Collectorate
- Srikakulam (district) travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Srikakulam medical information
- Srikakulam District Profile
||Rayagada district, Odisha||Gajapati district, Odisha||Ganjam district, Odisha|
|Vizianagaram district||Bay of Bengal|