Wise County, Texas
|Wise County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Henry Alexander Wise|
|• Total||923 sq mi (2,391 km2)|
|• Land||904 sq mi (2,341 km2)|
|• Water||18 sq mi (47 km2), 2.0%|
|• Density||21/sq mi (8/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Wise County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 59,127. Its county seat is Decatur. The county is named for Henry Alexander Wise, a U.S. congressman from Virginia who supported Texas' annexation.
The county is considered part of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex.
The Wise Eyes crime watch program, eventually adopted by mostly rural counties in several states, was started in 1993 by then-Sheriff Phil Ryan. Wise County is only one of several counties in the U.S. to have multiple, family-oriented naturist resorts.
- Montague County (north)
- Cooke County (northeast)
- Denton County (east)
- Tarrant County (southeast)
- Parker County (south)
- Jack County (west)
National protected area
The following public-use airports are located in the county:
- Bishop Airport (76T)
- Bridgeport Municipal Airport (XBP)
- Decatur Municipal Airport (LUD)
- Heritage Creek Airstrip (58T)
- Rhome Meadows Airport (T76)
As of the census of 2000, there were 48,793 people, 17,178 households, and 13,467 families residing in the county. The population density was 54 people per square mile (21/km²). There were 19,242 housing units at an average density of 21 per square mile (8/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.01% White, 1.23% Black, 0.75% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 5.03% from other races, and 1.71% from two or more races. 10.76% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 17,178 households out of which 38.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.10% were married couples living together, 8.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.60% were non-families. 18.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the county, the population was spread out with 28.30% under the age of 18, 7.80% from 18 to 24, 30.20% from 25 to 44, 23.00% from 45 to 64, and 10.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 101.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.40 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $41,933, and the median income for a family was $47,909. Males had a median income of $35,913 versus $23,434 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,729. About 7.50% of families and 9.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.30% of those under age 18 and 10.60% of those age 65 or over.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- WCMessenger.com: Wise Eyes expands its vision
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Public and Private Airports, Wise County, Texas
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "Texas Almanac: County Population History 1850-2010". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
|Wikisource has the text of the 1879 American Cyclopædia article Wise.|
- Wise County Genealogy Resources
- Wise County on the Web
- Wise County government's website
- "The Blog" - A Local Blog About Wise County
- Wise County in Handbook of Texas Online at the University of Texas
||Clay County||Montague County||Cooke County|
|Jack County||Denton County|
|Palo Pinto County||Parker County||Tarrant County|