This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Total||1,918 km2 (741 sq mi)|
|Elevation||41 m (135 ft)|
|• Density||150/km2 (390/sq mi)|
|• Main||Hindi, Angika Maithili|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||0.9109 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Begusarai|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Begusarai|
Begusarai town is the administrative headquarters of Begusarai district, which is one of the thirty-eight districts of Bihar state, India. The district lies on the northern bank of river Ganga. It is located at Latitudes 25.15N & 25.45N and longitudes 85.45E & 86.36E. It was established in 1870 as a subdivision of Munger District In 1972.
Begusarai is located at  It has an average elevation of 41 metres (134 feet). It has an area of 1879 square.Begusarai lies in North Bihar and is surrounded by Khagaria in North-East, Munger in South-East, Patna in West and Samastipur in North-West..
Begusarai lies in the middle of the mid Ganga plain and generally has low lying terrain with South to South Easterly slope. Begusarai is basically divided in three flood plains namely :1) Ganga Flood Plain 2) Burhi Gandak Flood plain 3) Kareha-Bagmati Flood Plain.
Agriculture is the mainstay of the economy. The main cash crops of Begusarai district are oilseeds, aniseed/ tisi, tobacco, jute, potato, red chillies, tomato and rape-seed.In Fruits Farming Begusarai has recently became a major contributor in producing Litchi, Mango, Guava and Banana. Recently Basil Leaves and Pearl farming has attracted local farmers.
Even today, only Barauni refinery contributes around Rs 500 crore to the state exchequer yearly.
Simaria: Situated on the South Eastern boundary of Begusarai, it is the birthplace of Rashtrakavi Ramdhari Singh “Dinkar”. It is also famous for Simaria Mela, a fair of devotional importance during the month of Kartik every year according to Indian Panchang (usually during November). It has a famous bridge "Simaria Pul" which provides both Rail and Road connectivity to this place. Recently "Ardhakumbha" a devotional congregation was held here in 2011 in an attempt to reestablish the lost importance of other 8 places where Kumbha was held according to scriptures.Not only "Ardhakumbha" but recently "Maha-kumbha" was also held here in November, 2017. And finally simariya along with Begusarai again come with a flying colours to re-write it's story in the field of spiritual.
- Ramdhari Singh Dinkar, poet, essayist, patriot and academic
- Chandra Shekhar, 8th Prime Minister of India
- Balmiki Prasad Singh, writer and former IAS officer
- Ram Sharan Sharma, historian
- Kanhaiya Kumar, leader of the All India Students Federation
As per 2011 census Begusarai Municipal Corporation had a total population of 251,136, out of which 133,931 were males and 117,205 were females with sex ratio at 875. The population younger than 5 years of age was 37,966. The literacy rate of the 7+ population was 79.35%.
- N.K."Dhiraj" (2009-03-23). "ULB launches poll campaign". The Times of India. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Begusarai
- "Welcome to Begusarai District". www.begusarai.bih.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-09-04.
- The subsurface Geology of the Indo-Gangetic plains M.B.R Rao, 1973, no:-3, vol-14, Journal of the Geological Society of India, pp-217-242.
- "Farming of Basil Leaves In Begusarai". Live Hindustan. LiveHindustan.com. 5 July 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- "Pearl harvesting made this farmer a role model for others in his village". english.pradesh18.com. Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- "Making of Begusarai was by choice, not accident - Times of India". Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- "सिमरिया अर्द्ध कुंभ: नए युग का सूत्रपात". aajtak.intoday.in (in Hindi). Retrieved 2016-08-21.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Begusarai.|