Hesperus Mountain (Colorado)
|Dibé Ntsaa (Navajo)|
|Elevation||13,237 ft (4,035 m) |
|Prominence||2,852 ft (869 m) |
|Isolation||24.53 mi (39.48 km) |
|Location||High point of Montezuma County, Colorado, United States|
|Parent range||Highest summit of the
La Plata Mountains
|Topo map||USGS 7.5' topographic map
La Plata, Colorado
Hesperus Mountain is the highest summit of the La Plata Mountains range of the Rocky Mountains of North America. The prominent 13,237-foot (4,035 m) thirteener is located in San Juan National Forest, 13.2 miles (21.2 km) northeast by east (bearing 59°) of the Town of Mancos in Montezuma County, Colorado, United States. The summit of Hesperus Mountain is the highest point in Montezuma County.
Though not of particularly high elevation for the region, Hesperus Mountain is visually quite prominent, as it is near the southern edge of the San Juan Mountains and rises over 7,000 ft (2,100 m) above the area.
Hesperus is notable as the Navajo People's Sacred Mountain of the North, Dibé Ntsaa, which marks the northern boundary of the Dinetah, their traditional homeland. It is associated with the color black, and is said to be impregnated with jet. When First Man created the mountain as a replica of mountains in the Fourth World, he fastened it to the ground with a rainbow and covered it in darkness.
Along with Ute the La Plata Mountain Range has also been the early homeland of the Navajo People who had settled on and near this mountain and the La Plata Mountain Range.
- List of mountain peaks of Colorado
- List of Colorado county high points
- San Juan Mountains (Colorado)
- The elevation of Hesperus Mountain includes an adjustment of +1.650 m (+5.41 ft) from NGVD 29 to NAVD 88.
- "Hesperus Mountain, Colorado". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- "Hesperus Mountain". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- Robert S. McPherson, Sacred Land, Sacred View: Navajo perceptions of the Four Corners Region, Brigham Young University, ISBN 1-56085-008-6.