Taiwan Affairs Office
Guówùyuàn Táiwān Shìwù Bàngōngshì
|Jurisdiction||People's Republic of China|
|Parent agency||State Council|
The Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council (Chinese: 国务院台湾事务办公室; pinyin: Guówùyuàn Táiwān Shìwù Bàngōngshì, sometimes abbreviated to 国台办; guó tái bàn) is an administrative agency under the State Council of the People's Republic of China. It is responsible for setting and implementing guidelines and policies related to Taiwan, as stipulated by the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and the State Council itself.
According to the arrangement and authorization of the State Council, the office takes charge of relevant preparations for negotiations and agreements with what the PRC calls the "Taiwan authorities" (i.e., the government of the Republic of China and its authorized government organizations). The agency administers and coordinates direct links in mail, transport and trade across the Taiwan Strait, takes charge of the media and publicity work related to Taiwan, censors and releases news and information concerning Taiwan affairs, and handles major incidents related to Taiwan.
The Taiwan Affairs Council is also responsible for the coordination with overall planning the economic relations and trade related to Taiwan and exchanges and cooperation in such areas as finance, culture, academic research, sports, science and technology, health, and others with the departments concerned. It also manages personnel exchange, observations and symposia between the two sides and relevant work on international conferences involving Taiwan.
Members of the Taiwan Affairs Office are simultaneously members of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and Taiwan Task Office. The latter title is used when dealing with officials in Taiwan on a party-to-party basis.
- Department of Secretary
- Department of Personnel
- Department of Integration
- Department of Research
- Department of Information
- Department of Economy
- Department of Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Related to Taiwan
- Department of Exchange
- Department of Law and Regulation
- Department of Complaints and Coordination
- CPC Committee Office of the Taiwan Affairs Office
List of directors
|List of Directors|
|Name||Duration of Office|
|Chen Yunlin||January 1997 – June 2008|
|Wang Yi||September 2008 – 17 March 2013|
|Zhang Zhijun||17 March 2013 – Incumbent|
- Cross-Strait relations, background
- Mainland Affairs Council, counterpart body in Taiwan
- Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits, semi-official contact body
- Straits Exchange Foundation, counterpart semi-official contact body in Taiwan
- Taiwan Province, People's Republic of China
- Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office
- Ministry of Unification
- Minister of Intra-German Relations
- Shih Hsiu-chuan, Lo Tien-pin and Jake Chung (23 March 2013). "Jiang clarifies '1992 consensus' position". Taipei Times. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- Blanchard, Ben (25 Jun 2016). "China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan". Reuters. Retrieved 26 June 2016.