Sun TV Network
|Traded as||BSE: 532733
|Headquarters||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Kalanidhi Maran (Chairman)
K. Vijaykumar (CEO and MD)
|Revenue||₹2,703.80 crore (US$400 million) (2017)|
|₹1,490.35 crore (US$220 million) (2017)|
|₹979.41 crore (US$150 million) (2017)|
|Total assets||₹4,349.83 crore (US$650 million) (2017)|
Number of employees
Sun TV Network Limited is an Indian mass media company headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. It is a part of Sun Group and is Asia's largest TV network. Established on 13 April 1991 by Kalanidhi Maran, it owns a variety of television channels and radio stations in multiple languages. Its flagship channel is Sun TV, which was the first fully privately owned Tamil channel in India. Sun Group has owned Hyderabad-based IPL team Sunrisers Hyderabad since 2012.
Products and operations
|Entertainment||Sun TV||Gemini TV||Udaya TV||Surya TV|
|Music||Sun Music||Gemini Music||Udaya Music||Surya Music|
|Movie||K TV||Gemini Movies||Udaya Movies||Surya Movies|
|News||Sun News||Gemini News||Udaya News|
|Comedy||Adithya TV||Gemini Comedy||Udaya Comedy||Surya Comedy|
|Kids||Chutti TV||Kushi TV||Chintu TV||Kochu Tv|
|Classic (old films)|
|Sun Life||Gemini Life|
|Entertainment||Sun TV HD||Gemini TV HD||Udaya TV HD||Surya TV HD|
|Music||Sun Music HD||Gemini Music HD|
|Movie||K TV HD||Gemini Movies HD|
Sun Group plans to launch 7 new HD channels , re-brand 2 SD channels and 2 new SD channels. After this Sun Group will have total of 42 channels.
|Upcoming SD Channels|
|Entertainment||Sun Bangla||Sun Marathi|
|Classic (old films)||Udaya Life (Re-branding of Udaya News)||Surya Life (Re-branding of Gemini News)|
|Music||Udaya Music HD||Surya Music HD|
|Movie||Udaya Movies HD||Surya Movies HD|
|News||Sun News HD|
|Comedy||Adithya TV HD||Gemini Comedy HD|
Sun Group owns two daily newspapers and five magazines in Tamil. Dinakaran was founded in 1977 by K. P. Kandasamy and was acquired from K. P. K. Kumaran by Sun Network in 2005. It is the second largest circulated Tamil daily in India after Dina Thanthi. Tamil Murasu is an evening newspaper. The group owns the magazines Kungumam, Kumguma Chimizh, Kungumam Thozhi, Aanmigam, Mutharam and Vannathirai.
- "Annual Report 2016-17" (PDF). Sun TV Network. 30 October 2017. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
- "Sun, Zee remain top on profitability charts". Rediff.com. 31 December 2013.
- "Problems in Sun TV Network license renewal". kinindia.net. 2015-06-08.
- "Sun TV Network win Hyderabad IPL franchise". Wisden India. 25 October 2012.
- "Sun Risers to represent Hyderabad in IPL". Wisden India. 18 December 2012.
- "Kalanithi Maran: Defying the odds". Forbes. 25 November 2015.
- "Sun Life". www.sunnetwork.in. Retrieved 2017-12-28.
- Jeffrey, Robin (24 March 2000). India's newspaper revolution. C. Hurst & Co. p. 79,80,114,135. ISBN 978-1-85065-383-7.
- "Sun acquires Dinakaran newspaper". rediff.com. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- Judy Franko (13 March 2010). "Tamil daily Dinakaran takes over the lead". exchange4media.com. Retrieved 7 November 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "India's 15 most-read newspapers". rediff.com. 5 May 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2010.