Sawai Madhopur district
|Sawai Madhopur district|
|District of Rajasthan|
Location of Sawai Madhopur district in Rajasthan
|Administrative division||Bharatpur Division|
|• District collector||K C Verma|
|• Total||4,498 km2 (1,737 sq mi)|
|• Sex ratio||897|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sawai Madhopur District is a district of Rajasthan state in North-Western India. Sawai Madhopur is the chief town and district headquarters.Sawai Madhopur District comes under Bharatpur Divisional Commissionerate. 
Sawai Madhopur District has an area of 4498 km².It is bounded by Dausa District on the north, Karauli District on the northeast, Jaipur District on the northwest, the Chambal River on east across the border of Madhya Pradesh state, Kota District on the southeast, Bundi District on the south, and Tonk District on the west.
|Chauth Ka Barwara||3||24||64|
Sawai Madhopur District Court was established on 1977. Shri O.P. Jain took over the charge of first Sawai Madhopur District & Session Court judge. Presently Sh. Ajai kumar ojha is the District & Sessions Judge of Sawai Madhopur. There are 10 judges in the Sawai Madhopur District Court.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Sawai Madhopur one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the twelve districts in Rajasthan currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
According to the 2011 census Sawai Madhopur district has a population of 1,338,114, roughly equal to the nation of Mauritius or the US state of Maine. This gives it a ranking of 362nd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 297 inhabitants per square kilometre (770/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 19.79%. Sawai Madhopur has a sex ratio of 894 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 66.19%.
Fairs and festivals
Ganesh Chaturthi Fair
Ganesh Chaturthi Fair is the largest fair of Sawai Madhopur. It is organised on Bhadav Shukla Chaturthi at Ganesh Temple, Ranthambhore Fort. This is very popular fair in Rajasthan. People of Rajasthan and outside Rajasthan visit for this fair. Every year 3-4 lacs devotees participates in this fair. This fair is organised for three days.
Chauth Mata Fair
Chauth Mata Temple is about 25 km from the Sawai Madhopur city in Chauth Ka Barawara town. This fair is organised on Magh Krishna Chaturthi. Lacs of people around Rajasthan and other states visit here for this Fair.
Shiv Ratri Fair
The Famous Dwadash (12th) Jyotirlinga Ghushmeshwar Mahadev is 3 km. from Iserda Railway Station on Sawai Madhopur - Jaipur Train Route in Shiwar Town. Thousands 0f people come here to seek blessings of Lord Shiva for prosperity in this fair.
The Rameshwaram Temple is 60 km from Sawai Madhopur on the confluence of Banas and Chambal River. It has a beautiful Shiva temple where a fair is held annually on Shiv Ratri. Lakhs of people Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh visit here for this Fair.
Every year besakh shukla puranmasi this fair is organised at Gangapur City. This fair is organised for Seven days. Thousands of people join this fair.
- Sawai Madhopur
- Ranthambore National Park
- Ranthambore Fort
- Rajiv Gandhi Regional Museum of Natural History
- Shilpgram, Sawai Madhopur
- Sawai Madhopur railway station
- Ranthambhore Ganesh Temple
- Chauth Mata Temple
- Gangapur City
- Khandar Fort
- Gangapur City Railway Station
- Dhundheshwar, Gangapur City
- "Name Census 2011, Rajasthan data". censusindia.gov.in. 2012. Retrieved 28 Feb 2012.
- "History". rajasthan govt. 2012. Retrieved 28 Feb 2012.
- "Official website of district sawai madhopur> Administrative setup". sawaimadhopur.nic.in.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Mauritius 1,303,717 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sawai Madhopur district.|