|300,000 apart from Northern (2004–2007)
160,000 Northern (no date)
Nisu (Southern Yi) is a language cluster spoken by half a million Yi people of China. It is one of six Yi languages recognized by the government of China. The Yi script was traditionally used, though few can still read it. According to Lama (2012), Nisu (Nishu) autonyms include ne̠˧su˥, ne̱˧su˥pʰo˨˩, and ɲe̠˧ʂu˥.
Chen, et al. (1985:114) recognizes 3 major varieties of Southern Yi (i.e., Nisu) that are spoken in Yunnan province, namely Shijian 石建 (Shiping-Jianshui), Yuanjin 元金 (Yuanjiang-Jinping), and Exin 峨新 (Eshan-Xinping). Autonyms include na̱33 su55 and na̱33 su55 pho21 (alternatively ne̱33 su55 pho21). Chen (1985) reported a speaker population of nearly 1.6 million.
- Shijian 石建土语: spoken in Shiping, Jianshui, Tonghai, Gejiu, Kaiyuan, Mengzi, and Hekou counties
- Yuanjin 元金土语: spoken in Yuanyang, Jinping, Mojiang, Yuanjiang, Pu'er, Jiangcheng, and Honghe counties
- Exin 峨新土语: spoken in Eshan, Xinping, Jiangchuan, Yuxi, Yimen, and Kunming counties
Yang (2009) classifies the Nisu dialects as follows.
- Northern Nisu
- North-central (Shijian 石建): spoken in Shiping, Xinping, Jiangcheng, Mojiang, and Lvchun counties
- Northwestern (Exin 峨新): spoken in Eshan and Jinning counties
- Southern Nisu (Yuanjin 元金): spoken in Honghe, Yuanyang, Jinping, Yuanjiang, Shiping, and perhaps also Jianshui counties
- Far Northwestern Nisu: spoken in Beidou Township (北斗彝族乡), Yongping County (descendants of Nisu soldiers who migrated to Yongping during the early Ming Dynasty; most divergent Nisu variety)
The Jiangcheng, Mojiang, and Lvchun varieties were grouped by Chen (1985) to be southern varieties, but Yang (2009) found that they actually belonged to the Northern Nisu group.
In Tonghai County, Southern Yi (Nisu) is spoken by all generations only in Xiangping 象平, Bajiao 芭蕉, Sizhai 四寨, Shikan 石坎, Pingba 平坝, Shangzhuangke 上庄科, and Xiazhuangke 下庄科 villages (Tonghai County Gazetteer 1992:600).
- Hammarström (2015) Ethnologue 16/17/18th editions: a comprehensive review: online appendices
- Southern at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
Northern at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
Eastern at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
Southwestern (duplicate or spurious code) at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
Northwestern at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Northern Nisu at Ethnologue (16th ed., 2009)
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Nisu–Nyisu". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Chen Shilin [陈士林], et al. 1985. Yiyu jianzhi [彝语简志]. Beijing: Ethnic Publishing House [民族出版社].
- Blackburn, P.L. and Blackburn, Laura. 2007. Yongping Nisu wordlist. Dali: SIL East Asia Group.
- Lu Yan 陆燕. 2008. 江城田房彝语结构助词研究. Journal of Yunnan Nationalities University 云南民族大学学报(哲学社会科学版). Vol. 25， No. 4, July 2008.