|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 18|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Vatakara|
Nadapuram is a special grade Panchayath, coming under Nadapuram assembly constituency. It is in North Malabar region of Kerala, India. Nadapuram won the best panchayat award of Kozhikode district seven consecutive years under the leadership of president, Sooppy Narikkattery.The Panchayat got many awards including state awards and first ISO certified Panchayat in the state.In 2015, the panchayath administration bagged the best performing Grama Panchayath award at state level and all India level among more than 265000 grama panchayaths in India., The population is around 40,000. Hindu and Mappilas (Muslims) are major religions. Kallachi is another main town in Nadapuram where the Panchayath Headquarters is located. Most of the people are working outside India, particularly in the Persian Gulf area. The main income of the locality is based on these NRIs. Nadapuram is greatly influenced by the luxuries of Gulf regions. One can find magnificent houses with modern facilities, which reflect the wealth of the local people.
In history Nadapuram was the place which lies in between Kuttipuram Kovilakam and Kadathanad palace. The derivation of the name Nadapuram is widely known through 2 names like Nagapuram and Nadapuram (land of Music). Nadapuram is the place which is well known as part of the ballad of Kadathanad is known all over kerala. This land witnessed the padayottam of Thacholi Othenan and Unniyarcha in older times. Art forms like Dafmuttu, Aravanamuttu, Poorakkali and Kolkkali were nourished in this place.
In his book “Malayala Rajyam Charithrathodu Chernna Bhoomisathram” Hermen Gundert states about Nadapuram as the place which is two miles north east to Kuttipuram and there is a Mazjid and a market mainly concentrated on Pepper business.
Kuttipuram was part of the famous Kurumbanad Taluk and was famous for its martial arts. Now the remnant of Kuttipuram Kovilakam is only a pond with dilapidated pavement and covered with waterweed. Unniyarcha defeated ‘Jonakans’ using a wet cloth dipped in this pond.
In the older times Nadapuram was well known for its secular nature and was famous as a centre for Islamic teaching. Significant marks for its secularism can be noted from this place like Kallachi where the Kallachi Avolam road is named in the name of the Great ruler Tipu Sulthan.
Nadapuram has also the awaking as part of National movement. The urge for freedom made a group of people led by Sri. Appukurup to try to make an explosion at the Nadapuram Munsif court using bomb which was under the then British rulers. The Nadapuram Munsif court was formed in the year 1910 Nadapuram has a lot of freedom fighting saga by donating its freedom warriors like Sri Rairukurup, P Krishinan Nambiar, Edavalath Kanaran master and Chingonth Kunhiraman Nair for the fight they had made for their country and made their land proud.
In the election held in 2011 Mr. Binoy Viswom was succeeded by Mr. E.K Vijayan. Most of the elections are followed by party based violence which results in bomb explosions, murders and many other violence.Nadapuram is both politically and communally sensitive and are known for its intermittent clashes between CPI(M) and IUML activists. It has its genesis in 1973 when one T.P.Kunhiraman CPI(M) was murdered by IUML workers. These areas are largely predominated by Hindus and Muslims. Muslim community in these areas are the land lords and almost all of them are living affluences. Most of the Hindus needless to say are down trodden and they find it very difficult to make their both ends meet. Series of Political Murder and clashes were reported from these areas during the past years. All the incidents reported are political in nature in prima-facie but its origin is communal rivalry. The situation is actually controlling by the timely interference of Police and the District Administration. When law and order incidents happened there is urgent requirement of man power in large scale to control the situation and it will continue for a long span. For updated details look Kerala Election Commission webpage
Nadapuram town is 59 km away from Kozhikode City, The nearest Railway station is Vatakara (14 km) and Airport is at Karipur. SH38 (Aka - Airport Road) Passes through Nadapuram. Thalassery(21 km) and Kuttyadi(13 km) are the other major towns nearby.
- Govt Hospital Nadapuram
- VIMS Hospital Kallachi
- Nadapuram Nursing Home
- Vettukattil Hospital Kallachi
- Nadapuram Co-operative Hospital
- Govt Homio Hospital Thanneer Panthal
- Dr.Rajeev Clinic Purameri
- Cheruvalathu Kuttichathan Temple (Theruvan Parambu)
- Kuttipuram (payanthong)
- Aaliyoottu (payanthong)
- Thrikkalloor Mahavishnu Kshethram Kakkamvelly
- Vishnumangalam Maha Vishnu Kshethram
- koovakkadu Siva kshethram
- Pattare sree paradevatha kshethram
- Nadapuram puthiyatheru Siva Kshethram
- Chalapuram Kulasseri Siva kshethram
- Unnamnadu bagavathi kavu
- Narikkatteri mahasudarsana temple
- Nadapuram Juma Masjid
- Ibrahim Khaleel Masjid
- katameri rahmaniyya juma masjid
- Puthan Palli
- Mueyaddeen masjid op mukk
- pallimukk juma masjid
- kutheri masjid
Schools & Educational Institutions
There are many schools in Nadapuram including state syllabus and CBSE syllabus. Nadapuram town and bus stand can be found crowded with school/college students. The list of schools can be found in Educational institutions in vatakara.In May 2014 a prestigious indoor stadium is inaugurated at Nadapuram.
Special Dishes of Nadapuram
The people of Nadapuram is blessed with an exemplary culinary art. There are different kinds of food during different seasons/times of the year.
- During the month of Karakadakam (Monsoon season) people prepare Karkadakanji. It is a porridge made of lentils, wheat, rice, fenugreek, cumin and many other natural ingredients, which protects from monsoon based diseases.
- In the month of Ramadan, restaurants and bakeries are displayed with mouth-watering snacks and appetizers for Iftar. This include Pazhampori, Kallummakkaya, Unnakkayi, spring rolls, puffs, Samosas, Pakora, Parippuvada, Cutlet, Falooda, Egg fry and many more. After Iftar people disperse for prayer and continue with the Main Course. It includes Ottu pathil (Tyre Pathil) & chicken curry, Pathiri, Hareesh (locally called Aleesa), Kunjippathil, Neypathil, Ada, Masalapathil, Macaroni,Koyakatta etc.
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nadapuram.|