Corfu International Airport
|Corfu International Airport "Ioannis Kapodistrias"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Κέρκυρας
|Operator||Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||6 ft / 2 m|
Corfu International Airport, "Ioannis Kapodistrias" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Κέρκυρας, "Ιωάννης Καποδίστριας") or Ioannis Kapodistrias (Capodistrias) International Airport (IATA: CFU, ICAO: LGKR) is a government-owned airport on the Greek island of Corfu at Kerkyra, serving both scheduled and charter flights from European cities. Air traffic peaks during the summer season, between April and October.
The Ioannis Kapodistrias International Airport, named after Ioannis Kapodistrias distinguished Corfiot European diplomat and first Governor of Greece, is located around 2 kilometres south of Corfu Town, half a kilometre north of Pontikonisi. The approach and landing, in a northeasterly direction, offer the flying passengers a spectacular aerial view of Pontikonisi and Vlaherna Monastery as well as the hills of Kanoni as the runway used for landing is actually a few hundred metres away from these landmarks.
The airport was founded in 1937. During Second World War it was used by German and Italian forces as a base for transport and fighter aircraft. During the war the runway length was 600m. By the end of April 1949 the length had reached 800m. The next and last extension of the runway began in 1957 and was completed in 1959, with a length of 2,373m. The first commercial flight took place on 19 April 1949 from Athens operated by TAE Greek National Airlines. On 2 September 1950 HELLAS also started flights to Corfu. In 1962 a small passenger terminal was built, which today accommodates the Corfu Aeroclub. In April 1965 the airport became International and the first flight was operated by Olympic Airlines. The construction of the new passenger terminal began in 1968 and was completed in 1972.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Corfu International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement (as a joint venture) between Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group and state privatisation fund Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Corfu International Airport) for 40 years as of autumn 2016,
Airlines and destinations
The airport offers all-year-long domestic flights operated by Aegean Airlines and Sky Express but the vast majority of traffic in the summer season is seasonal scheduled or charter flights for holidaymakers.
- "Greek AIP at HCAA website". Retrieved 7 August 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "KERKYRA AIRPORT "IOANNIS KAPODISTRIAS"". Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- William Philip Chapman (1993). Karystos: city-state and country town. Uptown Press. p. 163. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
Actually, Russia's distinguished diplomat and Foreign Minister, and later Greece's first president (1827-3 1)...
- Corfu Airport History. http://www.corfu-airport.com. Retrieved on 20 August 2013.
- "easyJet adds 20 new routes for summer 2015". EasyJet. 10 December 2014.
- "New routes for summer 2015". easyJet.
- "Aegean Airlines". aegeanair.com. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "New Corfu Base (No. 75) To Open As Ryanair Doubles Traffic". corporate.ryanair.com. 14 October 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "ΠΑΡΟΧΗ ΔΗΜΟΣΙΑΣ ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΑΣ (ΑΓΟΝΕΣ ΓΡΑΜΜΕΣ)". ypa.gr. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "Flight timetables". gatwickairport.com. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "SmartWings Flight schedule". smartwings.com.
- Choose Flights. Thomas Cook Airlines (1 October 2012). Retrieved on 20 August 2013.
- Vueling open 24 new routes from Rome
- "CorfuTime newspaper blog: "New Corfu Town-Airport bus route" (in Greek)". Retrieved 7 August 2012.
Media related to Corfu International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Official Corfu Airport web site: Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority - Our Airports - Kerkyra Airport "Ioannis Kapodistrias" Greek/English
- Greek Airports: Corfu International Airport, "I. Kapodistrias"
- Airport information for LGKR at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.