Corfu International Airport
|Corfu International Airport "Ioannis Kapodistrias"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Κέρκυρας
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group|
|Focus city for|
|Elevation AMSL||6 ft / 2 m|
Corfu International Airport, "Ioannis Kapodistrias" (Greek: Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Κέρκυρας, "Ιωάννης Καποδίστριας") or Ioannis Kapodistrias (Capodistrias) International Airport (IATA: CFU, ICAO: LGKR) is a government-owned airport on the Greek island of Corfu at Kerkyra, serving both scheduled and charter flights from European cities. Air traffic peaks during the summer season, between April and October.
The Ioannis Kapodistrias International Airport, named after Ioannis Kapodistrias distinguished Corfiot European diplomat and first Governor of Greece, is located around 2 kilometres south of Corfu Town, half a kilometre north of Pontikonisi. The approach and landing, in a northeasterly direction, offer the flying passengers a spectacular aerial view of Pontikonisi and Vlaherna Monastery as well as the hills of Kanoni as the runway used for landing is actually a few hundred metres away from these landmarks.
The airport was founded in 1937. During Second World War it was used by German and Italian forces as a base for transport and fighter aircraft. During the war the runway length was 600m. By the end of April 1949 the length had reached 800m. The next and last extension of the runway began in 1957 and was completed in 1959, with a length of 2,373m. The first commercial flight took place on 19 April 1949 from Athens operated by TAE Greek National Airlines. On 2 September 1950 HELLAS also started flights to Corfu. In 1962 a small passenger terminal was built, which today accommodates the Corfu Aeroclub. In April 1965 the airport became International and the first flight was operated by Olympic Airlines. The construction of the new passenger terminal began in 1968 and was completed in 1972.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Corfu International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement (as a joint venture) between Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group and state privatisation fund Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Corfu International Airport) for 40 years as of 11th April 2017.
Future of Corfu International Airport - Fraport Greece’s investment plan
On 22 March 2017, the Fraport-Greece presented its master plan for the 14 regioal airports including the Corfu International Airport.
Immediate actions that will be implemented at the airports as soon as Fraport Greece takes over operations before the launch of the summer season 2017 include: :
- General clean-up
- Improving lighting, marking of airside areas
- Upgrading sanitary facilities
- Enhancing services and offering new free Internet connection (WiFi)
- Implementing works to improve fire safety in all the areas of the airports
The following summarizes the enhancement changes that will be implemented for Corfu International Airport under Fraport Greece’s investment plan until 2021 :
- New terminal
- Expanding terminal by 10,294 m2 and remodeling current terminal
- HBS (Hold Baggage Screening Systems) inline screening
- Refurbishing and upgrading the fire station
- Reorganizing airport apron area
- Refurbishing airside pavement
- 27 percent increase in the number of Check-in Stations (from 22 to 28)
- 33 percent increase in the number of departure gates (from 9 to 12)
- 33 percent increase in the number of security-check lanes (from 6 to 8)
By Public Bus
Transit bus service (Bus line no.15) is provided between the Airport and the city centre of Corfu. At the centre, from the bus stop San Rocco Square, you can go to all destinations. All tickets should be acquired by passengers before getting on the bus at the points of sale, which are located near the bus stops (Automatic ticket vending machine, Station Master’s office in San Rocco Square, Kiosks etc.). Tickets can be purchased by the bus driver with additional cost (Surcharged). Especially:
Price of ordinary ticket: 1, 20 €
Price of surcharged ticket (aboard): 1, 70 €
For more Information please contact: http://www.astikoktelkerkyras.gr/dataeg.php?cat=28801
24/7 metered taxi service is available outside the Corfu Airport Terminal building. The journey from the Airport to Corfu city centre is about 10 minutes and the fare is normally 10€. You may be charged extra, if you carry many pieces of luggage.
Corfu Airport is located 2.7 km from the city of Corfu and is easily accessible from Democracy Avenue and then via Desylla, Vlacheron and Georgaki streets. The journey to and from the city centre takes about 10 minutes.
Airlines and destinations
The airport offers all-year-long domestic flights operated by Aegean Airlines and Sky Express but the vast majority of traffic in the summer season is seasonal scheduled or charter flights for holidaymakers.
- "Greek AIP at HCAA website". Retrieved 7 August 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "KERKYRA AIRPORT "IOANNIS KAPODISTRIAS"". Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- William Philip Chapman (1993). Karystos: city-state and country town. Uptown Press. p. 163. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
Actually, Russia's distinguished diplomat and Foreign Minister, and later Greece's first president (1827-3 1)...
- Corfu Airport History. http://www.corfu-airport.com. Retrieved on 20 August 2013.
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport - TornosNews.gr". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- accessdate=6 June 2017 "Official website of Corfu International Airport", fraport-greece.com
- accessdate=6 June 2017 "astikoktelkerkyras", astikoktelkerkyras.gr
- accessdate=6 June 2017 "astikoktelkerkyras", astikoktelkerkyras.gr
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Condor Adds New Short-Haul Services in S14". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Condor Adds New Greek Routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "easyJet adds 20 new routes for summer 2015". EasyJet. 10 December 2014.
- "New routes for summer 2015". easyJet.
- "Tour operator Mouzenidis Travel". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Finnair plans new European routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Aegean Airlines". aegeanair.com. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "New Corfu Base (No. 75) To Open As Ryanair Doubles Traffic". corporate.ryanair.com. 14 October 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "ΠΑΡΟΧΗ ΔΗΜΟΣΙΑΣ ΥΠΗΡΕΣΙΑΣ (ΑΓΟΝΕΣ ΓΡΑΜΜΕΣ)". ypa.gr. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- "Flight timetables". gatwickairport.com. Retrieved 5 May 2015.
- "SmartWings Flight schedule". smartwings.com.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Smartwings Plans Hungary Operations June – Sep 2015". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "SmartWings Plans New Routes in S15". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Choose Flights. Thomas Cook Airlines (1 October 2012). Retrieved on 20 August 2013.
- "Thomson Airways - Flights from Thomson". www.thomson.co.uk. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Thomson outlines planned new routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Travel Service Hungary Adds New Routes in S15". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "TUI Belgium outlines S17 new French / Italian routes". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- volotea (21 March 2017). "VOLOTEA - Cheap flights, offers and plane tickets to Europe". Volotea. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Página no encontrada « vuelingnews. La información al punto de Vueling". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
Media related to Corfu International Airport at Wikimedia Commons
- Official Corfu Airport web site: Corfu Airport - Homepage English/Greek
- Greek Airports: Corfu International Airport, "I. Kapodistrias"
- Airport information for LGKR at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.