Uvular ejective fricative
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Uvular ejective fricative|
Features of the uvular ejective fricative:
- Its manner of articulation is fricative, which means it is produced by constricting air flow through a narrow channel at the place of articulation, causing turbulence.
- Its place of articulation is uvular, which means it is articulated with the back of the tongue (the dorsum) at the uvula.
- Its phonation is voiceless, which means it is produced without vibrations of the vocal cords.
- It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
- The airstream mechanism is ejective (glottalic egressive), which means the air is forced out by pumping the glottis upward.
An allophone of /q'/ in Georgian.
- IPA Principles, 1947: 33.