Anna University, Chennai
|Anna University, Chennai|
|Motto||Progress Through Knowledge|
|Vice-Chancellor||P. Kaliraj (Officiating)|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Anna University, Chennai is a technological university based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. It was established on 1 February 2007 by the splitting of Anna University into six universities, namely, Anna University, Chennai, Anna University, Chennai - Taramani Campus, Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Tiruchirappalli, Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Coimbatore, Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Tirunelveli and Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Madurai.
Anna University Chennai comprises four colleges: College of Engineering, Guindy, Alagappa College of Technology, Madras Institute of Technology and the Anna University School of Architecture and Planning.
In September 14, 2011 a bill was passed to merge back the universities.
- Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Tiruchirappalli
- Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Tirunelveli
- Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Madurai
- Anna University Chennai - Regional Office, Coimbatore
- The Government of Tamil Nadu established Anna University of Technology (previous name of Anna University) on 4 September 1978 through the The Perarignar Anna University of Technology Act, 1978(Tamil Nadu Act 30 of 1978).
- The new university formed with the erstwhile University of Madras's Faculty of Engineering and Technology (i.e, College of Engineering, Guindy, Alagappa College of Technology, Madras Institute of Technology and the School of Architecture and Planning of Chennai City) as nucleus of university.
- The institutes became constituent colleges of the newly formed university. It was named after former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, C. N. Annadurai.
- 1982: In 1982 the name Anna University was adopted, removing the words "Perarignar" and "Technology".
- 2001: In 2001, under the Anna University Amendment Act of 2001, AU became an affiliating university, taking under its wings almost all the engineering colleges in Tamil Nadu. This included six government engineering colleges, three government-aided private institutions, and 426 self-financing colleges.
- 2007: On 1 February 2007 as a result of a Government of Tamil Nadu decision, AU was split into six universities, namely, Anna University, Chennai, Anna University of Technology, Chennai, Anna University of Technology, Tiruchirappalli, Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore, Anna University of Technology Tirunelveli and Anna University of Technology, Madurai. The institutes were formally created between 2007 and 2010.
- 2011: On September 14, 2011, a bill was passed to merge back the universities. However, as of February 2012[update], the separate universities are still operating.
- 2012: Since August 2012, all of the Anna University of Technology - University Campuses and Anna University Affiliated Anna University College are merged with Anna University Chennai. Now it is called as:
|Called previously as (before August 2012)||Known at present (after August 2012)|
|Anna University, Chennai||Anna University|
|Anna University of Technology (AUT)||Anna University - Regional Office (AU-RO)|
|Anna University of Technology (AUT) - University Campus (or) College of Engineering||Anna University - Regional Campus (or) College of Engineering|
Scrapping of CET
The Common Entrance Test, conducted over the years by Anna University in the name of the Tamil Nadu Professional Courses Entrance Examination (TNPCEE), for admission to professional courses in the state was abolished in 2006. Starting in the academic year 2007-08, students were admitted to engineering colleges on the basis of their Plus-Two marks and their caste.
- "The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : House passes Bill to amend Anna University Act". thehindu.com. The Hindu. September 15, 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- Tamil Nadu Act 26 of 1982
- "Welcome to Anna University of Technology, Coimbatore". annauniv.ac.in. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- "The Hindu : States / Tamil Nadu : House passes Bill to amend Anna University Act". thehindu.com (The Hindu). September 15, 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2011.
- "AUT merger not total, universities separately handle affiliation - Times Of India". indiatimes.com. 3 February 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Common Entrance Test abolished in Tamil Nadu
- anna university chennai exam pattern
- Should Common Entrance Test be scrapped?
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anna University, Chennai.|
|This article about a university or college in Tamil Nadu, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|