|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Born||Olivia Frances Culpo
May 8, 1992
Cranston, Rhode Island, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 7 in (170 cm)|
Olivia Frances Culpo (born May 8, 1992) is an American actress, model, television presenter, cellist and beauty queen who won the Miss USA 2012 pageant, representing her home state of Rhode Island. She previously won the 2012 Miss Rhode Island USA competition, which was the first pageant she entered. Crowned Miss Universe 2012 in Las Vegas, she is the first winner from the USA to obtain the crown since Brook Lee in 1997.
Culpo was born in Cranston, Rhode Island, one of five children of Peter and Susan Culpo. She has two older siblings, Pete and Aurora, and two younger, Gus and Sophie. Their restaurateur father co-owns Boston businesses including Parish Café and The Lower Depths Tap Room. Raised in the Edgewood neighborhood of Cranston, Rhode Island, She is of Italian descent with some Irish ancestry from her mother's side.
Culpo attended St. Mary Academy – Bay View, and later, Boston University. In 2010, she was signed by the Boston modeling agency Maggie, Inc. She began studying cello in the second grade, and played the instrument in the Rhode Island Philharmonic Youth Orchestra, the Rhode Island Philharmonic Chamber Ensemble, the Bay View Orchestra, and the Rhode Island All-State Orchestra. She attended the Brevard Music Center, in Brevard, North Carolina, for two summers, and has performed with the Boston Accompanietta.
Miss Rhode Island USA 2012 and Miss USA 2012
On July 6, 2012, the city of Cranston, Rhode Island held a homecoming celebration honoring Culpo for her pageant win. At an outdoor ceremony held at Cranston City Hall, Cranston Mayor Allan Fung presented Culpo with the key to the city.
Miss Universe 2012
Culpo represented the USA at the Miss Universe 2012 pageant that was held on December 19, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada. She won the competition and was crowned Miss Universe 2012, becoming the eighth representative from the USA to win the title and the first since 1997. Culpo also became the first Rhode Islander to win the Miss Universe title. She succeeded outgoing titleholder Leila Lopes from Angola.
In January 2013, Culpo visited Indonesia for three weeks and helped crown the winner of Puteri Indonesia 2013 on February 1 in Jakarta. She also visited Yogyakarta, Surabaya and Bali during her visit. In Jakarta, Culpo hosted a discussion with young Indonesians for the United Nations Population Fund on HIV and youth prevention at the United States Embassy's cultural center @America.
On August 25, 2013, Cranston's city council approved a resolution adding Culpo's name to Albert Avenue, which runs the length between Broad Street and Narragansett Boulevard in Edgewood.
On September 10, 2013, Culpo walked in the Sherri Hill fashion show held at the Trump Tower. Culpo was in India from September 27 until October 6. During her visit, she reportedly ran into trouble after doing a commercial photoshoot at the Taj Mahal. On November 9, 2013, she crowned Gabriela Isler of Venezuela as her successor.
- "Olivia Culpo". Trump Model Management. Archived from the original on February 8, 2015. Retrieved January 12, 2015.
- Kumbarji, Ceylan (April 22, 2016). "Interview: Olivia Culpo". Taylor Magazine. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- "Rhode Island - Olivia Culpo". Miss Universe Organization. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- Pelletier, Jenna (July 26, 2012). "Miss USA: Crowning achievement for RI-born Culpo: She's now the first Miss Rhode Island to win the Miss USA crown in the event's 61-year history". The Providence Journal. Providence, Rhode Island. Archived from the original on May 10, 2015. Retrieved May 10, 2015.
Nearly a month after winning Miss USA 2012, Culpo, 20....
- Berger, Rebekah (June 4, 2012). "Cranston's Culpo Crowned Miss USA". WPRO. Providence, Rhode Island. Archived from the original on October 4, 2012. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Miss USA 2012: Olivia Culpo Crowned, Beats Latina Beauties". Fox News Latino. June 4, 2012. Archived from the original on February 18, 2015. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
She said she comes from a big, Italian family and speaks some Italian.
- "15 Facts to know about Olivia Culpo". Pageants News ► Beauty Pageant Contestants & Winners News.
- Fisher, Luchina (June 4, 2012). "Olivia Culpo: Five Things About Miss USA 2012". ABC News. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "About Olivia". Miss Rhode Island USA. Archived from the original on January 30, 2012. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Metro - Five things to know about Boston University student Olivia Culpo, the new Miss USA". Metro.us. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- "Miss USA 2012: Miss Rhode Island Olivia Culpo named Miss USA 2012". Daily News. New York City. Archived from the original on November 9, 2014. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Kalunian, Kim (July 10, 2012). "Miss USA visits her Rhode Island hometown". Cranston Herald. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- Schieldrop, Mark (July 6, 2012). "Miss USA Reads the Giving Tree". Cranston Patch. Retrieved September 7, 2012.
- "Rightfully making a fuss". Cranston Public Library. Retrieved September 8, 2012 – via http://www.cranstonlibrary.org/miss_usa.
- "Olivia Culpo". Miss Universe, L.P. Archived from the original on July 3, 2015. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "PAGEANT UPDATES: Miss USA 2012 is Olivia Culpo! ~ Beauty Mania .biz® - Everybody is Born Beautiful!!". Beautymania.biz. June 3, 2012. Retrieved November 6, 2012.
- Curran, John (February 13, 2013). "Miss Universe talks HIV prevention in UNFPA youth dialogue". UNFPA.
- "Street to be Named after Cranston's Culpo, Miss Universe". Cranston, Rhode Island Patch. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- "Miss Universe Olivia Culpo to be charged for violating rules at Taj Mahal". Biharprabha News. October 8, 2013. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- Zach, Zach. "Olivia Culpo Moves on From Nick Jonas With an NFL Star". Entertainment Tonight. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- Miss USA Profile
- Olivia Culpo on Internet Movie Database
- Olivia Culpo on Facebook
- Olivia Culpo plays the cello in Boston Accompanietta on YouTube
|Awards and achievements|
|Miss Rhode Island USA