Panchakarma ("Pancha" means five and "karma" means treatment) is done to detoxify the body according to Ayurveda. The five procedures are claimed to eliminate the vitiated Doshas from the body. They are Vamana (Emesis), Virechana (Purgation), Niroohavasti (Decoction enema), Nasya (Instillation of medicine through nostrils), and Anuvasanavasti (Oil enema). Nirooha, Anuvasana and Uttaravasthi form the basic types of Vasti. The term Panchasodhana includes Vamana, Virechana, Nasya, Nirooha, and Rakthamoksha (Blood letting).
Pre Panchakarma procedures
It is important to prepare the body before carrying out these Pancahkarmas. The following process is followed before carrying out the Panchakarma procedure
Snehana: Snehana means Oleation or to make smooth. (मार्दव)
Swedana: This procedure is very important to liquefy the vitiated Doshas inside the body (which are already made soft by oleation / स्नेहन procedure), later to be brought to Koshtha (कोष्ठ), which will be eliminated by inducing either Vamana / Virechana.
- Mishra L, Singh BB, Dagenais S., Altern Ther Health Med. 2001 Mar Healthcare and disease management in Ayurveda (Archived on 25 May 2013)
- Sharma, A. K. (2003). "Panchkarma Therapy in Ayurvedic Medicine". In Mishra, Lakshmi Chandra. Scientific Basis for Ayurvedic Therapies. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. p. 43. ISBN 0-8493-1366-X.
- Gupta B, Mahapatra SC, Makhija R, Kumar A, Jirankalgikar N, Padhi MM, Devalla RB, Ayu. 2011 Observations on Vamana procedure in healthy volunteers (Archived on 25 May 2013)
- Samhita, Sharangadhara (2006). "Nasya Vidhi Uttarakhanda 8/63". In Parashuram Shastri Vidyasagar. Sharangadhara Samhita Bhishakvara Adhamalla virachita Deepika-Pandit Kasiram vaidya virachita-gudhartha deepika ya cha samvalita (2006 ed.). Varanasi, India: Chaukambha Surabharathi Prakashan. p. 346.
- Hridaya, Ashtanga (2009). "Siravyadha vidhi Suthrasthana 27/8,Dwividhopakramaneeyam Suthrasthana 14/5". In Bhishagacharya Harishastri Paradkar Vaidya. Ashtanaga Hridaya Srimad Arunadatta virachita Sarvangasundarakhya vyakhyaya Hemadri praneetaya Ayurveda Rasayanakhya teekaya cha samullasitham. Varanasi, India: Chowkhamba Krishnadas Academy. p. 327, 223. ISBN 81-218-0046-3. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "Ashtanga_Hridaya" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Samgraha, Ashtanga (2012). "Vasthi Vidhi Suthrasthana 28/5". In Dr Shivprasad Sharma. Ashtanaga Samgraha Indu virachita Sasilekha vyakhyaya samanvita. Varanasi, India: Chowkhamba Sanskrit Series Office. p. 213. ISBN 81-7080-186-9.