|Main ingredients||Raisins, milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate|
|variable (dependent on raisin size and caloric sub-ratio density of the coating, irrespective of whether milk or dark chocolate is used) kcal|
Chocolate-covered raisins are a popular bulk vending product. They consist of raisins coated in a shell of milk, dark or white chocolate. They are an item typically found at concession counters. Supermarket chains also sell them in bags and they were traditionally[when?] sold by weight, from jars, in candy stores.
Varieties and brands
In some countries,[example needed] they are also known as Raisinets, which is the earliest and one of the most popular brands of the product, currently made by Ferrara, a subsidiary of Ferrero SpA. Raisinets were introduced in the United States in 1927 by the Blumenthal Chocolate Company. Ferrero acquired the brand in 2018 from Nestlé, who had briefly expanded the brand to include milk chocolate-covered dried cranberries and dried cherries from late 2009 through 2013. A large number of other brands also exist, including:
- A popular brand in the UK is Paynes Poppets, which are sold in small boxes.
- In Canada, the Glosette brand consists of various chocolate-covered candies, including raisins, that are usually sold in re-sealable rigid cardboard boxes as opposed to plastic bags.
- In Australia, these sweets are more commonly referred to as chocolate-covered sultanas, rather than raisins. In Australia there are no particularly prominent brands in the market, although chocolate-covered sultanas are produced by some large local confectioners, and also on the behalf of supermarket chains as store-brand versions.
A similar food, also commonly sold at movie theaters, is the chocolate-covered peanut. As described above, the two products are often combined for consumption in a mixture. Less common alternatives are the chocolate-covered almond or the chocolate-covered macadamia.
- Wong, Elaine (August 18, 2009). "Cranberry Raisinets Debut". www.adweek.com. Retrieved 2019-10-07.
- "Sweeten Your Life With NEW! NESTLE Cherry RAISINETS". Nestlé USA. Retrieved 2019-10-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chocolate-covered raisin.|