Noi Bai International Airport
|Noibai International Airport
Sân Bay Quốc Tế Nội Bài
|Owner||Airports Corporation of Vietnam (ACV)|
|Operator||Noibai International Airport Operation (NIA)|
|Elevation AMSL||39 ft / 12 m|
Nội Bài International Airport (IATA: HAN, ICAO: VVNB) (Vietnamese: Sân Bay Quốc Tế Nội Bài) in Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, is the largest airport in Vietnam in terms of total capacity. It's also the second busiest airport in Vietnam after Tan Son Nhat International Airport. It is the main airport serving Hanoi, replacing the role of Gia Lam Airport. The airport consists of two passenger terminals. Terminal 1 serves domestic flights, and the newly-built Terminal 2 (inaugurated on 4 January 2015) serves all international flights to and from Hanoi. The airport is currently the main hub of the country's flag carrier Vietnam Airlines, as well as a major hub of low-cost carriers Vietjet Air and Jetstar Pacific.
The airport is located in Phu Minh Commune in Sóc Sơn District, about 35 kilometres (21 miles) northeast of downtown Hanoi, via the new Nhật Tân Bridge (also inaugurated on 4 January 2015). It can also be reached by National Road 3, which connects it with the eastern suburbs of Hanoi. The airport is also close to some satellite cities of Hanoi such as Vĩnh Yên, Bắc Ninh and Thái Nguyên. The airport served a total of 13 million passengers in 2013, despite having a capacity of only 9 million at the time. The new international terminal, which had its first commercial flight on 25 December 2014 and went into full operation on 31 December 2014, has boosted the airport's total capacity to 20 million passengers per year.
The airport was developed immediately south of the Phúc Yên Air Base and opened on 2 January 1978. The terminal 1 building was completed and became operational in 2001.
In 2005, Tiger Airways started thrice-weekly flights between Hanoi and Singapore after launching direct flights between Hồ Chí Minh City and Singapore becoming the first budget airline to operate in Vietnam. It was later joined by low-cost carrier AirAsia when they launched direct flights between Hanoi and Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.
The second runway (1B – 11R/29L) opened in 2006 and the following year the airport hosted an Airbus A380 for the first time, although no scheduled A380 services are operated from the airport. 2013 saw the first arrival of a Cargolux Boeing 747-8F. In 2014 the airport received its first scheduled service with the newest generation of commercial aircraft when All Nippon Airways started using a Boeing 787-8 on services between to Tokyo–Haneda and later the same year the airport received its first visit of Airbus A350 XWB operated by Airbus on World Tour trip. In 2015, Vietnam Airlines started to operate the Airbus A350 XWB for commercial domestic flights.
Terminals and facilities
At 650 hectares, Noi Bai is the second-largest airport in Vietnam, behind the 800 hectare Tan Son Nhat International Airport. Terminal 1, completed in 2001, had one main section for international flights with a new terminal extension (denoted Lobby E) for domestic flights, which was completed in late 2013. Together with the extension, terminal 1 is capable of handling 9 million passengers per annum. Following the inauguration of Terminal 2 in January 2015, Terminal 1 is solely used for domestic flights. The terminal is currently being upgraded to handle 15 million passengers annually upon completion in March 2018. The construction of the new terminal (Terminal 2) next to the existing one with a designed capacity of 10 million passengers per annum started in March 2012. The 996m long new terminal building, funded by a Japan International Cooperation Agency ODA loan was designed by Japan Airport Consultants and was built by Taisei Corporation. The total investment for the project was ¥75.5 billion (US$645.35 million). Japan's official development assistance accounted for ¥59 billion ($504.27 million) of the investment, while theremaining amount was covered by local funds. The new international terminal was inaugurated on 4 January 2015 together with a new freeway connecting the airport to downtown Hanoi via the Nhật Tân Bridge.
The airport has a 3,800-meter paved runway (CAT II – 11R/29L) which opened in August 2006 and an older 3,200-meter paved runway (CAT I – 11L/29R). The older runway was closed for upgrades for 4 months from August to December 2014. The distance between the two runways is only 250 metres, so the airport currently restricts the maximum passenger capacity in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organisation safety regulations.
Airlines and destinations
- "ACV: Hội nghị tổng kết công tác năm 2016 và triển khai kế hoạch năm 2017". ACV. 20 January 2017. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "ACI Releases 2017 World Airport Traffic Report". AviationPros.com. Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Busiest airports of Vietnam as of November 2015
- SGGP English Edition- Noi Bai Airport’s Terminal T2, Nhat Tan Bridge inaugurated Archived 7 January 2015 at the Wayback Machine.
- "News VietNamNet". Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Terminal 2 ready to open at Ha Noi airport". Việt Nam News. Việt Nam News. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Busiest Airport of Vietnam (In Vietnamese)". VNExpress. VNExpress. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- Vietnam Airlines Joins SkyTeam Vietnam Airlines Hanoi, 10 June 2010. archive 2010-06-13
- "Ga T1 Nội Bài mở rộng sẽ hoạt động từ ngày 29/12". vnexpress.net. VNExpress. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Khởi công dự án cải tạo, sửa chữa Nhà ga hành khách T1 – Cảng HKQT Nội Bài". vietnamairport.vn. Airports Corporation of Vietnam. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- Tuoi Tre Newspaper. "Vietnam's most modern terminal opens to passengers". Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "The World's Most Improved Airports". www.worldairportawards.com. Skytrax. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "List of Projects and Persons for JICA President Award and JICA Recognition Award for 2015" (PDF). www.jica.go.jp. JICA. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Bangkok Airways begin seasonal service to Chiang Mai
- Chongqing Airlines begin service to Hanoi
- "Hainan Airlines expands Guangzhou - SE Asia routes in late-July 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 17 July 2017.
- "Jetstar Pacific plans Sep 2017 Osaka debut". Routesonline. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "Jetstar Pacific adds new Chinese routes from June 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 23 June 2017.
- "Lucky Air adds Nanchang – Hanoi flights from mid-Sep 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "Vietjet Air plans Hanoi – Yangon 3Q17 launch". routesonline. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Emirates SkyCargo Freighter Operations get ready for DWC move". Emirates SkyCargo. 2 April 2014.
- Etihad Cargo announces freighter operations to Hanoi Etihad Airways 13 Jul 2014 14:00
- Qatar Airways cargo division adds three new routes GulfBase.com 12/04/2011 00:00 AST. archive 2011-04-16
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Noi Bai International Airport.|
- Airport information for VVNB at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.