Dive leader describes the minimum requirements for dive leader training and certification for recreational scuba divers in international standard ISO 24801-3  and the equivalent European Standard EN 14153-3. Various organizations offer training that meets the requirements of the dive leader standard.
Scuba dive leaders are considered competent to plan, organise and conduct dives and to lead other recreational divers on open water dives, and for specialised recreational scuba diving activities for which they have been trained. They are also considered competent to conduct emergency procedures associated with these activities and the relevant diving environment. They may require orientation for unfamiliar local environmental conditions. Additional specialised training and experience is required to lead divers on more demanding dives.
The term is also used by BSAC for a specific certification.
Scope of the standard
International standard ISO 24801-3 includes:
- Prerequisites for training, including age and health requirements,
- Required theoretical knowledge regarding scuba and basic diving equipment, the basic physics of diving, decompression management and dive planning, medical and psychological problems related to diving, the diving environment and the use of nitrox breathing gases,
- Required scuba skills in confined and open water,
- Practical training parameters,
- Evaluation of knowledge and practical skills.
Training according to ISO 24801-3
Diver qualifications which comply with ISO 24801-3
Medical fitness to dive
Before initial diver training and thereafter at regular intervals, a diver should undergo a fitness to dive examination by a diving doctor. This may be considered more important for a dive leader who has a duty of care to their clients. In some countries, such an examination is required by law and it is a prerequisite for any training in many diving schools.
- Staff. "Recreational diving services — Requirements for the training of recreational scuba divers — Part 3: Level 3 — Dive leader (ISO 24801-3:2014)". ISO. Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- Staff. "Competencies and qualifications of recreational scuba divers Level 1-3". EUF Certification. European Underwater Federation (EUF). Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- staff. "Diver grade training: Dive leader". Retrieved 10 August 2017.