- See Grand China Air for the holding company of Hainan Airlines.
|Founded||2004 (as Grand China Express Air)|
|Frequent-flyer program||Fortune Wings Club|
|Parent company||HNA Group|
Tianjin Airlines (Chinese: 天津航空; pinyin: Tiānjīn Hángkōng —formerly Grand China Express Air) is a regional airline headquartered in Tianjin Binhai International Airport passenger terminal building, Dongli District, Tianjin, People's Republic of China, operating domestic scheduled passenger and cargo flights out of Tianjin Binhai International Airport.
The airline was established in 2004 in an effort to merge the major aviation assets of Hainan Airlines, China Xinhua Airlines, Chang An Airlines and Shanxi Airlines, and received its operating licence from the Civil Aviation Administration of China in 2007. Scheduled flights were launched under the brand name Grand China Express Air, using 29-32 seat Fairchild Dornier 328JET aircraft. At that time, the company was China's largest regional airline, operating on 78 routes linking 54 cities. On 10 June 2009, the company name was changed to Tianjin Airlines. As of August 2011, 63 destinations are served (excluding those operated on behalf of Hainan Airlines), though by 2012, the airline intends to fly on more than 450 routes linking at least 90 cities, taking more than 90% of the domestic regional aviation market.
In mid-2015, Tianjin Airlines signed a contract for 22 Embraer aircraft (20 Embraer 195s and 2 Embraer 190-E2s). It is part of a larger agreement made in 2014 for 40 aircraft, the remaining 18 to be approved by the Chinese authorities. The first Embraer 195 will be delivered later in 2015 and the first Embraer 190-E2 in 2018.
The airline plans to launch international long-haul services and is to take delivery of its first Airbus A330 aircraft in 2016 to serve destinations in Europe, North America and southeast Asia.
In 2016, Tianjin Airlines launched long-haul services to Auckland in New Zealand, London-Gatwick in the UK and Moscow-Sheremetyevo in Russia. Long-haul services to Melbourne are to begin from September 2017.
Tianjin Airlines is a major player in the regional airline markets of Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia, known for shuttling passengers between the regional capitals to various feeder airports.
As of March 2017, the Tianjin Airlines fleet consists of the following aircraft:
|Airbus A320-200||23||-||-||180||180||2 aircraft F8Y150 config, some Y174|
|Airbus A330-200||3||1||18||242||260||Under lease agreement from AerCap.
Previously served with Hainan Airlines.
Tianjin Airlines has previously operated the following aircraft:
Accidents and incidents
- On June 29, 2012, there was an attempted hijacking of Tianjin Airlines Flight 7554, an Embraer ERJ-190, by six ethnic Uyghur men. Passengers and crew overpowered the hijackers. The aircraft returned to Hotan at 12:45 pm, where 11 passengers and crew and two hijackers were treated for injuries. Two hijackers died of injuries they sustained during the fight on the aircraft. This marked the first serious hijacking attempt in China since 1990.
- http://www.tianjin-air.com/en/frontend/information/newInfo/contractus.jsp http://www.tianjin-air.com/frontend/information/newInfo/contractus.jsp
- "Directory: World Airlines". Flight International. 2007-04-03. p. 87.
- Travel Daily News 17 April 2007
-  9 June 2009
- Tianjin Airlines homepage (book flights)
- CNN 16 May 2007
- "Tianjin Orders more E-Jets". Airliner World: 16. July 2015.
- "Tianjin Airlines". Airliner World: 17. October 2015.
- "Tianjin Airlines files planned New Zealand schedule from Dec 2016". routesonline. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- "Tianjin Airlines Adds London Gatwick Service from late-June 2016". airlineroute. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- J, L (22 April 2016). "Tianjin Airlines Adds Moscow Service from June 2016". Airline Route. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- "Tianjin Airlines plans Melbourne launch in Sep 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 23 January 2017.
- "Tianjin Airlines Fleet Details and History". planespotters.net. 5 April 2015. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Tianjin Airlines Seat Arrangements 20 March 2017
- "天津航空第三架A330宽体客机顺利抵津". 民航资源网 CARNOC.COM. 17 March 2017. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "天津航空成为我国首家运营E195客机航企". 民航资源网 CARNOC.COM. 24 December 2015. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "China's HNA Group Tianjin Airlines Purchases 20 E-Jets and 20 E-Jets E2". 2014-07-17. Retrieved 2015-05-07.
- Tianjin Airlines Flight 7554 Information
- Official website (Chinese)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tianjin Airlines.|