Indonesian national car is the categorization of a Low Cost Green Car (LCGC) in Indonesia with the following initial specifications:
- Priced between 50,000,000 Indonesian rupiah for villagers to Rp 85,000,000 for the general public
- Fuel efficiency of at least 20 km/l (56 mpg‑imp; 47 mpg‑US)
- Made up from at least 60% domestic components
- PT Industri Kereta Api (INKA), GEA brand, 640 cc, Electronic Fuel Injection, Front wheel drive, 3,320×1,490×1,640 mm (130.7×58.7×64.6 in), wheelbase 1,965 mm (77.4 in), 90 km/h (56 mph), Rp 40 million (US$4,444) each, used as police car, Nomor Identifikasi Kendaraan (NIK) or Vehicle Identification Number has been released at May 2007
- PT Maha Era Motor, Mahator brand, 650 cc (39.7 cu in), 90 km/h (55.9 mph), Rp 50 million ($5,555) each, NIK has been released at June 2007
- PT Fin Komodo Teknologi, Fin Komodo brand, 2WD automatic tube-framed buggy, 250 cc (15.3 cu in), 60 km/h (37 mph), Rp 70 million ($7,777) each, NIK has been released at December 2007
- PT Sumber Gasindo Jaya, Tawon brand, 650 cc (39.7 cu in) twin-cylinder China engine, ready for gasoline and Compressed Natural Gas, Euro-3, 90 percent local content, 90 km/h (56 mph), Rp 40 million ($4,444) to Rp 60 million ($6,666) each in 3 types: open space cargo, minivan and Tawon wodel which can carry more than 3 persons, it have been tested from Rangkasbitung to Surabaya in 19 hours with maximum speed up to 100 km/h and relaunched in January 2012, NIK has been released at June 2008
- PT KANCIL (Karunia Abadi Niaga Citra Indah Lestari), Kancil (Kendaraan Niaga Cilik Irit Lincah or Little Economical Agile Commercial Vehicle) brand, Kancil is a clever individual model, 250 cc (15.3 cu in), 70 km/h, to propose as replacement of city public transport (below Taxi category) NIK has been released at October 2009
A group of national car makers who are members of Asosiasi Industri Automotif Nusantara (Asia Nusa) or Nusantara Automotive Industry Association firmly refuse incentives from the government due to their inability to produce the low priced cars.
The government provided Rp 144 billion ($16 million) fund for village cheap public transportation program in 2012.
Toyota, Daihatsu, Suzuki,Honda.. are set to produce a combined 500,000 LCGC a year with predicted total investment of $1.8 billion in Indonesia by the end of 2012, after the government has agreed to exempt the LCGC from the luxury tax to boost domestic sales.
On April 22, 2013 PT Astra Daihatsu Motor officially opened Karawang Assembly Plant to anticipate LCGC, although government's LCGC rule is not yet released. The plant assembles 4,000 units Toyota Avanza and/or Daihatsu Xenia per month in the first run and will produce 10,000 unit of cars per month, including the LCGC Toyota Agya and Daihatsu Ayla when the rule has been released.
To achieve success with LCGC, two Chinese principals set up manufacturing/assembly plants in Indonesia, both companies (SAIC Motors Corp. and Liuzhou Wuling) formed a new company called SGMW.Wuling, and will cooperate with General Motors to build a 150,000 capacity manufacturing factory first and then use more local contents. It is predicted to operate fully by 2017. Indonesia will be the base of the Chinese principals to fulfill Southeast Asia market of ASEAN Market Community.
Indonesia's Industrial Minister and Indonesian Car Producers have agreed to make the Indonesian Micro Car with 650-700 cc capacity with same platform. They are undercarriage (car dimension and suspension) and power train (machine and transmission). With the same platform, the Break Even Point is expected to be 10,000 units/year instead of 28,000 units/year without same platform. Until now Indonesian Car Producers made their cars without this same platform. About 80 percent of Indonesian Micro Car components will be local components and initial production is predicted in 2013.
New Regulation of LCGC and LEC
In May 2013, government has released new Government Regulation (Peraturan Pemerintah) Number 41 Year 2013 about Luxury Tax of Vehicles concerning LCGC and Low Emission Carbon (LEC) regulations. The main points of the regulation are:
- Luxury Tax 0 percent of petrol car with maximum displacement 1,200cc (1,500cc for diesel car) and can drive minimal 20 kilometers/liter.
- Luxury Tax 50 percent of advance technology car (hybrid, gas, electric and others) with driving ability minimal 28 kilometers/liter.
- Luxury Tax 75 percent of advance technology car (hybrid, gas, electric and others) with driving ability between 20 and 28 kilometers/liter.
Existing of LCGC and LEC
|Launch Date (Year, Month)||Brand||Capacity (cc)||The lowest price when it is announced (Rp)||2013 Sales||2014 Sales||2015 Sales||2016 Sales (11 months)|
|Sept 2013||Astra Daihatsu Ayla||1000, 3 cyls||76 million||19,141||40,775||35,084||36,989|
|Sept 2013||Astra Toyota Agya||1000, 3 cyls||99 million||22,376||67074||57,646||42,298|
|Sept 2013||Honda Prospect Motor Brio Satya||1200, 4 cyls||106 million||4,958||26,683||31,820||33,027|
|Sept 2013 to Jan 2014||Datsun Nusantara Go Panca||1200, 3 cyls||96 million||There are no news about City Car Datsun Go Panca, when Low MPV Datsun Go+ Panca (below) is released on May 8, 2014
Launched on August 20, 2014
|20,520 (Go Panca and Go+ Panca)||29,358 (Go Panca and Go+ Panca)||24,968 (Go Panca and Go+ Panca)|
|Sept 2013 to Jan 2014||Datsun Nusantara Go+ Panca (Datsun Go+, 5 seaters as Datsun Go plus 2 seaters for children below 150 cm)||1200, 3 cyls||85 million||Sales initials in May 2014|
|Oct 2013 to Dec 2013||Suzuki Indomobil Karimun Wagon R||1000, 3 cyls||77 million||4,705||7,068||11,526||8,988|
|August 2016||Astra Toyota Calya||1200, 4 cyls||134 million||36,768|
|August 2016||Astra Daihatsu Sigra||1000, 3cyls and 1200, 4 cyls||107 million||26,289|
Note: Datsun Go+ Panca is the only one of Low MPV in LCGC category when it is launched, the other LCGC are hatchback city cars. But in 2016, Toyota Calya and Daihatsu Sigra are also Low MPV.
End of February 2014 Year To Date, all of car sales categories were declining, except city car non-LCGC which was stagnant, but LCGC growth significantly and made 73 percent sales share of city car sales.
Production and export
In 2013 Indonesia produced 52,956 LCGC/LEC with no export, and predicted 2014 LCGC/LEC production is 150,000 units. Initial export of Daihatsu Ayla (as Toyota Wigo) has been done in February 2014 to Philippines. In 2013, Indonesia has exported non LCGC/LEC 170,907 Completely Built Up (CBU) cars, and 105,380 Completely Knocked Down (CKD) cars.
Asianusa is pioneer of LCGC which has the members: AG-Tawon, Wakaba, Fin-Komodo, Merapi, Gea, Borneo, Kancil, dan ITM. All the members use only China (below 750cc) machine and all of the other contents are locally made.
When government released Government Regulation, Peraturan Pemerintah (PP) Nomor 41 Tahun 2013, Asianusa protest because the regulation is for all vehicles up to 1,200cc and moreover all vehicles with special needs as use for on the snow, on the beach, on the hill and other vehicles with specialities should pay 60 percent tax. It make Fin-Komodo even has higher price than the new LCGC/LEC manufacturers vehicles (currently, all are big Japanese principals).
- "detik Finance : Mobil Murah Nasional Rp 39,99 Juta Meluncur Januari 2012" [Cheap Car National Gliding Rp 39.99 million in January 2012]. Detik Finance. December 23, 2011. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- "Mobnas Tawon dan GEA di IndoAutomotive 2011". May 26, 2011.
- "January 10, 2012 - 4 Mobil Nasional Lulus Uji".
- "February 1, 2012 - Produksi Mobil Nasional Butuh Dana Rp 2 Triliun".
- "Mobil Offroad Asli Buatan Nasional (Mobil Komodo)". September 1, 2010.
- "Rangkasbitung students also able to make 50 Tawon cars monthly". January 8, 2012.
- "Cheap and Green Cars Coming to Indonesian Roads". March 4, 2012.
- "Produksi Daihatsu belum optimal". April 22, 2013.
- "Mobil China Wuling bangun pabrik LCGC US$700 juta". February 2, 2015.
- "Produksi Masal Mobil Nasional Bisa Terlaksana Tahun Depan". Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "PERATURAN PEMERINTAH REPUBLIK INDONESIA NOMOR 41 TAHUN 2013" (PDF). Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Lili Sunardi (February 16, 2017). "Mobil Murah, untuk Siapa?".
- "Honda jumps into LCGC market with Brio Satya". September 12, 2013.
- Satwika Rumeksa (May 8, 2014). "Datsun Go+ Panca Dibanderol Mulai Rp 85 Juta".
- Sofyan Akbar (August 21, 2014). "Datsun Hadirkan Mobil Murah Kedua".
- Lucky Oktaviano (April 24, 2014). "Mobil Murah Tujuh Penumpang Ini Diberi Nama Panca".
- "Karimun Wagon R Mulai Rp 77 juta, Siap Saingi Ayla". October 5, 2013.
- "Pakai Nama Indonesia, Datsun GO+ Panca Termurah Rp 85 Juta". May 9, 2014.
- "LCGC menjadi jawara di segmen city car". March 14, 2014.
- "Pasar LCGC mulai lesu". May 5, 2014.
- Edwardi (July 19, 2013). "Mobil Murah Datsun Go+ Panca Mulai Tempel Brio Satya".
- "500 LCGC to be Exported Monthly, Minister Says". January 30, 2014.
- Agung Kurniawan (August 20, 2014). "http://otomotif.kompas.com/read/2014/08/20/092000115/Ini.Daftar.Mobil.Terlaris.di.Indonesia.2014". External link in
- Bani Saksono. "Jokowi dan PP 41/2013". Retrieved February 9, 2015.