Lunda (Asia Minor)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Ancient city in the Roman province of Phrygia Prima (Pacatiana), in the civil Diocese of Pontus, was important enough to become a suffragan bishopric of the Metropolitan Archbishopric of Laodicea (on the Lycus), in the sway of the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
Two incumbents were recorded :
- Niceforus attended the Second Council of Nicaea in 787
- Eustachius participated in the Council of Constantinople in 879-880 which rehabilitated its Patriarch Photius I of Constantinople.
It faded; the Anatolian site is now known as Isabey.
The diocese was nominally restored in 1926 as Latin titular bishopric of Lunda (Latin = Curiate Italian) / Lunden(sis) (Latin adjective).
It is vacant, having had the following incumbents, so far of the fitting Episcopal (lowest) rank :
- John Francis Norton (born Ireland) (1926.03.08 – 1928.04.09) as Coadjutor Bishop of Bathurst (Australia) (1926.03.08 – 1928.04.09); next succeeded as Bishop of Bathurst (1928.04.09 – death 1963.06.16)
- Bishop-elect Martino Meulenberg, Montfort Missionaries (S.M.M.) (born Germany) (1929.05.30 – 1929.06.28) as 'first' Apostolic Vicar of Iceland (Iceland) (1929.06.06 – death 1941.08.03); previously only Apostolic Prefect of Iceland (Iceland) (1923.06.12 – see promoted 1929.06.06); next Titular Bishop of Hólar (1929.06.28 – death 1941.08.03)
- Joseph Henry Albers (1929.12.16 – 1937.08.04) as Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Cincinnati (Ohio, USA) (1929.12.16 – 1937.08.04); later first Bishop of Lansing (Michigan, USA) (1937.08.04 – death 1965.12.01)
- George John Rehring (1937.08.06 – 1950.07.16) as Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Cincinnati (Ohio, USA) (1937.08.06 – 1950.07.16); later Bishop of Toledo (Ohio, USA) (1950.07.16 – 1967.02.25), emeritus as Titular Bishop of Tunnuna (1967.02.25 – resigned 1970.12.31), died 1976
- Luís António Palha Teixeira, Dominican Order (O.P.) (1951.02.20 – death 1981.08.21) as Bishop-Prelate of Territorial Prelature of Santíssima Conceição do Araguaia (Brazil) (1951.02.20 – 1969.12.20), then as Bishop-Prelate of Territorial Prelature of Marabá (Brazil) (1969.12.20 – retired 1976.11.10) and as emeritus; previously Apostolic Administrator of above Santíssima Conceição do Araguaia (1948.01.02 – 1951.02.20).