Suzhou Rail Transit
|Transit type||Rapid transit|
|Number of lines||3 (in operation), 5 (by 2020)|
|Number of stations||96|
|Daily ridership||373,000 (2015 Avg.)
638,800 (2014 Peak)
|System length||118.9 kilometres (73.9 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Suzhou Rail Transit|
The Suzhou Rail Transit also known as Suzhou Metro is a metro system serving the city of Suzhou, in Jiangsu province, China. Line 1 began operation on April 28, 2012. Line 2 opened on December 28, 2013. Another five lines are also planned to be completed before 2020. Upon completion, the system will be about 140 kilometers long and have 109 stations. Further plans to extend Line 3 to neighbouring Kunshan city and to connect system with the Shanghai Metro are under active review.
Line 1 opened on April 28, 2012. It is a line running generally east-west, from Mudu Station in western Suzhou to Zhongnan Jie Station in Suzhou Industrial Park. It is 25 km long with 24 stations.
Construction on Line 1 began on December 26, 2007 and was completed by 2012. On December 30th, 2011 the first 21 cars for Line 1 have been delivered.
Line 2 opened on December 28, 2013. It is a line running generally north-south, from Suzhou North Railway Station in north Xiangcheng District to Baodaiqiao South Station close to Precious Belt Bridge located in Wuzhong District.
Construction on Line 2 began on December 25, 2009 and was completed by early 2013. On December 28th, 2013, line 2 started service and became a part of Suzhou Rail Transit system. The new 13 stations were opened on September 24, 2016.
Line 4 started trial operations on April 14, 2017. The line starts in the north of Suzhou, west of Line 2. Its main line leads from Longdaobang to Tongli in the south/south east of Suzhou. After reaching Suzhou railway station, it approximately follows Renmin road and Dongwubei road reaching further south until Tongli in Wujiang District. The Southwest Branch of Line 4 is the first phase of the future Line 7. This branch is supposed to follow the same path as the main line until Hongzhuang, then turning into south western direction leading to Youxiang Road.
Lines under construction
|Line||Number of stations||Line Length||Terminals||Scheduled Opening||Construction began|
(Suzhou New District Railway Station)
Line 3 is planned to run from Suzhou New District Railway Station in the northwest, via Wuzhong District in south Suzhou to Weiting in the east, with a total of 31 stations. At the planned interchange stations with Line 1 and Line 2 platforms for Line 3 are already prepared.
Lines under planning
Besides others, short video spots shown on screens in Suzhou's subway trains where Suzhou Rail Transit company introduces itself and its plans. These plans contain a line 5 and 6
All rolling stocks of Suzhou Rail Transit use Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Works trains.
|Line 1||Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Works||24||4B||Expandable to 6B|
|Line 2||Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Works||40||5B||Expandable to 6B|
|Line 4||Nanjing Puzhen Rolling Stock Works||40||6B|
Fares and tickets
The base fare of Suzhou Rail Transit is 2 yuan (US$0.33) for journeys under 6 km, then 1 yuan for each 5 km between 6–16 km, 1 yuan for each 7 km between 16–30 km, 1 yuan for 9 km more than 30 km. As September 24, 2016, the highest fare is 8 yuan (US$1.33).
Users of the Suzhou Tong get a 5% discount for every journey.
- "12月我省城市及城际轨道交通运行情况统计表" (in Chinese). Jiangsu Province Development and Reform Commission. 15 January 2015. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Suzhou subway starts service". Retrieved April 28, 2012.
-  (Website of Suzhou City ( Rail Transit information from 2007))
-  (Line 2 in the news of March 14th, 2009)
-  (Suzhou Rail Transit at urbanrail.com)
- 无锡苏州也将轨交通沪? 目前有规划但尚无时间表. Eastday (in Chinese). 18 October 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "上海11号线、17号线有望接轨苏州S1线、4号线". sh.sina.com.cn. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- 苏州交通图，2009年4月第一版，湖南地图出版社 （广告许可证号：3200005950154） / Suzhou traffic map. Edition from April 2009 - 1. edition of year 2009, Publisher: Hunan Map Publishing Office (Publishing-Permission-Number: 3200005950154)
- 江苏三六五网络有限公司. "今日开通试运营 4号线及支线来了！-苏州365淘房". news.sz.house365.com. Retrieved 2017-04-15.
-  (Website of the subway operator "SZ-Transit" (苏州轨道交通/Suzhou Guidao Jiaotong) (information retrieved on Oct. 16th, 2010))
- 2号线首列车明年5月交付 今年力争洞通轨通.搜狐.2012-03-01
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Suzhou Rail Transit.|