From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Kʼ)
|IPA number||109 + 401|
|Unicode (hex)||U+006B U+02BC|
Features of the velar ejective:
- Its manner of articulation is occlusive, which means it is produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract. Since the consonant is also oral, with no nasal outlet, the airflow is blocked entirely, and the consonant is a stop.
- Its place of articulation is velar, which means it is articulated with the back of the tongue (the dorsum) at the soft palate.
- Its phonation is voiceless, which means it is produced without vibrations of the vocal cords.
- It is an oral consonant, which means air is allowed to escape through the mouth only.
- It is a central consonant, which means it is produced by directing the airstream along the center of the tongue, rather than to the sides.
- The airstream mechanism is ejective (glottalic egressive), which means the air is forced out by pumping the glottis upward.
|Shapsug||кӏьэ||[kʲʼa] (help·info)||'tail'||Palatalized. Corresponds to [t͡ʃʼ] in other dialects.|
|Armenian||Yerevan dialect||կեղծ||[kʼɛʁt͡sʼ]||'false'||Corresponds to tenuis [k⁼] in other Eastern dialects.|
|English||Non-local Dublin||back||[bakʼ]||'back'||Allophone of /k/ for some speakers.|
|Northern English||Pre-pausal allophone of /k/ for some speakers; may be somewhat palatalised. See English phonology|
|Scottish||Occasional word-final allophone of /k/.|
|Kabardian||Baslaney||кӏьапсэ||[kʲʼaːpsa] (help·info)||'rope'||Palatalized. Corresponds to [t͡ʃʼ] in other dialects.|
- Dum-Tragut (2009:17–18)
- Wells & Colson (1971:3)
- "Ejectives in English | Linguism | Linguistics, Pronunciation and Phonetics". 21 August 2008. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "Glossary". Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- "John Wells's phonetic blog: ejectives in English". 8 December 2011. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- Cruttenden (2008:167)
- Wells (1982:261)
- Gimson (1970:34)
- Gordeeva & Scobbie (2006)
- Cruttenden, Alan, ed. (2008), Gimson's Pronunciation of English (7th ed.), London: Hodder, ISBN 0340958774
- Dum-Tragut, Jasmine (2009), Armenian: Modern Eastern Armenian, Amsterdam: John Benjamins Publishing Company
- Gimson, Alfred C. (1970), An Introduction to the pronunciation of English, London: Edward Arnold
- Gordeeva, Olga; Scobbie, James M. (2006), Phonetic Conditioning of Word-final Ejective Stops in the Speechfinal Ejective Stops in the Speech of Scottish English Pre-school Children (PDF), Edinburg: Speech Science Research Centre, Queen Margaret University College
- Wells, John C.; Colson, Greta (1971), Practical Phonetics, London: Pitman, ISBN 0-273-43949-9
- Wells, John C. (1982), Accents of English I: An Introduction, Cambridge, New York: Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-29719-2